Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Scum Victory)  (Read 45740 times)

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just your average eldritch feline. :3
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Signups closed)
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2014, 05:43:33 pm »

Illgeo: Ah, sorry. However, what would you do if someone slipped a major scum tell before the majority of people had posted?

Blitz: Who seems more suspicious: yobbo or anailater?

yobbo: Yeah, I guess they are rather bizarre. In a BYOR, everyone has a power role, while in a BM or NSBM, only a miniscule amount have a power role. There's also a far higher chance in a BM or NSBM that the person you've investigated is not only vanilla, but town. In other games, it's possible that you could find a third party, which definitely swings the balance of a game.

anailater: How is risky and/or dumb to point at two people? Is that another thing that's only a scum tell early on?

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »

Well, if scumtell is big enough I would put at least FoS and try to find more details

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2014, 05:52:38 pm »

Illgeo: What do you consider a big scum tell?

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »

I'm not really sure honestly

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2014, 05:58:22 pm »

Frostmoon: The scumness of multiple suspicions decrease as the game goes by, as people die and behaviours become more traceable, but it's definitely suspicious and risky(Unless you know who everyone is) to suspect multiple people.
Also I have a question, what do you think us the best way to avoid being night killed?
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2014, 06:05:47 pm »

anailater: I'm not entirely sure, honestly. Some people with power roles attempt to act scummier in a hope that scum will keep around; of course, this strategy can backfire and get you lynched instead. In BMs, scum usually go for ICs or people with more experience then the average Beginner's Mafia player.

Everyone: What scum tells are the most major, game-breaking ones in your opinion? How do you feel about buddying and distancing, a topic that's come up quite a bit thus far? How about activity and lack of it?

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2014, 06:09:11 pm »

You should be as sure as you can before voting, when you have to rely on your team, be it as colleagues or meat sheilds, you can't risk causing the death of one of your colleagues and gaining the suspicions of the others.
Can an IC comment on this? I don't think it's true. We have to risk causing the death of our colleagues. There's no other way to win. And as far as suspicion goes, if everyone was afraid of voting for looking suspicious then noone would be able to vote at all.

But i don't actually think your responses are scummy, so unvote anailater.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2014, 06:31:16 pm »

Frostmoon: Appart from watching and not posting it seems like all scum tells are equal, insofar that anyone can do one, its when one person does several you should be worried.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2014, 06:32:12 pm »

Illgeo: But what if scum just lurk and don't post? What do you do then?

Scripten: You seem to be playing very carefully. How well do you think carefully staying out of the way works as a scum tactic?

Frostmoon: I'm not confident at all that i could spot buddying or distancing. Inactivity seems dangerous, but that might just beause one of the games i read basiclly had a scum win because half the townies were inactive and noone could get any valid reads. Would you ever lynch a player just for inactivity?

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2014, 06:42:00 pm »

anailater: Interesting. What would you do if the time comes to lynch and the two suspects have dropped a relatively equal amount of scum tells?

yobbo: If there was no one scummier. I'd prefer to lynch people who are dropping other scum tells, though.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »

Frostmoon: Currently, I'm feeling a little uneasy about the fact that neither IC has posted, though it still is pretty early. I'm alright with the amount of action going on. Inactivity only helps scum. As far as suspicions go, I don't feel like anyone who's talking now is more suspicious than lurkers. If I had to choose, I'm leaning toward Blitz, just because he seems to be doing the most active lurking. It's still only day one, so we'll have to see how things go. It may be inexperience, after all.

Yobbo: Exactly what do you mean by playing carefully?

To answer your question, carefully staying out of the way does work early on. It's later on in the game that your veneer starts to fade. That's why I try to get lurkers talking, so that, if they are mafia, we can speed up the whole process.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2014, 07:02:04 pm »

Frostmoon: Id most likely use my Finger of Suspicion on one of them, and see how the two react, then base my decision on that.
So how are you today?

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:22 pm »

Scripten: I'm a little surprised by their inactivity as by looking through their recent posts, both Nerjin and Deathsword appear to have been online today. Do you think that in later days activity will skyrocket, plummet, or remain steady?

anailater: Okay.

Wow, I'm already starting to run out of questions to ask.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:42 pm »

{Hello and welcome to mafia, sorry for not posting earlier, but 500s and mafia don't mix well. Whenever I type between a pair of "{ }" it means I'm using my IC voice. I will never lie or mislead you in the IC voice, even if doing so harms me as a player. But keep in mind that I am a player as well and being an IC doesn't mean being town.

Now, the game starts in RVS. The sole purpose of RVS is to get the game going, since otherwise you'd just have a bunch of players being quiet because they'd have nothing to talk about. In RVS (random vote stage) you ask people random (game related, please) questions and maybe vote one for pressure and see how they react.

Quote. Quote what people say when referring to that. It helps a lot, and gives strength to your arguments. No one wants, or is willing, to guess and/or go through the thread to figure what you are talking about.

While it is by no means required, people usually answer/talk to people by either starting with a quote from them or by Bolding their name: and then typing it out after a colon.

Play to win and don't give up. If you are being lynched, don't act like a victim, give up or start martyring yourself. Instead scumhunt harder. Explain to people why someone else is scum and they, instead of you, should be lynched. Town know they are town and have nothing to prove about themselves.

Those without power roles may think themselves weaker than the rest, but keep this in mind: you got the most powerful tool in the game, the lynch. That's all you need to win, everything else is merely a bonus.

Above all, try to have fun.}

Frostmoon: Im expecting heated debate, broken friendships (Which are fixed by the end) and to learn how to play this game to the best of my ability.
{anailater managed to mostly nail a very important thing about Mafia. It's a game. Don't take insults personally, don't take attacks or aggression personally. While real insults are fairly rare, people will try to unnerve you to make you reveal who you are. And remember, what happens in the game stays in the game.}

BlitzDungeoneer: Whoa whoa whoa. Bad idea there, mate. We don't want to be talking roles. That's really anti-town. Basically, you're telling the scum exactly who to stab in the night. The small amount of benefit gained from knowing roles has nothing on the massive cons.
{In small games like this where the town has very few power roles it's a bad idea to mass roleclaim early, but roleclaims can often decide games in favor of the town in power-heavy games. It's certainly not anti-town, but it's sub-optimal to do it here.}

anailater: Do you believe that longer posts correlate to scumminess?
{Post size has nothing to do with scumminess. Players like Tiruin make huge posts, but that doesn't mean she's scum all the time, or town all the time. Focus on the content, not the length.}

Nerjin and Deathsword: You guys are ICs this round. How do you plan to counteract the change in behavior that such a role brings to a newbie game? (That is, either people are much more or much less suspicious or threatened by you because of your position of semi-authority.)
{By informing players that they should be as wary of us as anyone else.}

So now you'll suspect yourself as scum, right :P?
But of course. In fact, I might very well vote for myself during the Lynch.
So, Blitz, are you telling me you don't trust your own townieness?

I will try to go with intuition+carefully seeking for slip-ups.
So you will lurk until people hand tells to you on a platter? Get hunting if you want slips. Pressure people.

Everyone: As we've seen before, games with newbies often end up with a ton of null tells just because inexperience is inherently a little scummy. We've had a few small things come up already in this game. How do you plan to separate inexperience from mafia slip-ups?
Just because someone is a newbie doesn't mean they can't be scum. Flailing newbie scum drop a lot more tells than flailing town.

Scripten: I can't really comment on this.
Why not? Are you trying to hide something?

Nerjin / Deathsword: If you're both scum and an IC, how will you balance that?
We'd stomp you.[/joke] More seriously though, we'd likely play as a normal IC would. An IC is to prioritize teaching above winning.

Uhh...
I'm just going to be sitting here in the corner. Alone. Forever.
People not asking you questions is not an excuse to laze about. You are more than capable of asking your own questions. Town act, scum react. Guess what you're doing.

Make accusations? What do you take this for? A game of Maf- oh wait.
Well, yobbo certainly seemed quick to accuse, so he's suspicious. Not voting yet, but it seems likely. However, he does bring up a valid point about anailater, so he is also a suspect.
Why so hesistant? Stop active-lurking.
{Active-lurking involves making posts and looking active, but the posts themselves are useless fluff and contain no meat. To drop the analogy, it means you are just using a lot of words to talk about a whole nothing. Also, seriously man, quote.}

Frostmoon: The fact that anailater was quick to cast suspicion, but scared to use the vote.
I don't feel much on the other players, really. There isn't much to feel, since a majority of them haven't commented on me or my actions in the slightest. That said, both yobbo and anailater seem suspicious.
Scum are pretty self-centering, since the game does revolve around their existence. If people are fuzzy because they haven't commented on you maybe it's because you don't feel your scum-status threatened by them? Why yobbo and anailater suspicious?

Regarding your question Yobbo
You should be as sure as you can before voting, when you have to rely on your team, be it as colleagues or meat sheilds, you can't risk causing the death of one of your colleagues and gaining the suspicions of the others.
{NO. Voting is useful. As town, it's your main weapon. It can be used to add pressure and weight to a vote, to unnerve scum, to kill scum. The only time you want to be careful voting is in a game with hammers, which is not the case here.}

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2014, 08:02:04 pm »

Deathsword: Ah, hello.
But keep in mind that I am a player as well and being an IC doesn't mean being town.
{By informing players that they should be as wary of us as anyone else.}
So, Blitz, are you telling me you don't trust your own townieness?
You seem to be emphasizing the fact that an IC (such as you) could be scum, yet you vote for Blitz for doing the same thing. Is your IC advice ratting you out, or do you suspect that Nernjin is scum? How do you feel about the anailater/yobbo argument?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24