Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Scum Victory)  (Read 45743 times)

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Signups closed)
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »

In what timezone most people here are?

I'm in EST, so it's about 3:30 pm here.

Illgeo: Depends on what you consider an edge. Seeing as it's a team game, any edge from prior games I might have is in terms of what I do to help the town win. The same, really, also goes for the ICs, who are much more experienced than the rest of us. They're subject to a lot more scrutiny, though. I feel like it evens out.

Frostmoon: I recall there was a sort of study done here that covered activity versus scumminess. It was mostly decided that more active players were less likely to be mafia, but that doesn't really seem to mean anything. I've seen it all across the board, so post length and number of posts are not the best indicators of scum. As for MYLO, I've never been in that situation yet, but I'd learned never to roleclaim, which, of course, is not always true. That's something you can't get from just listing rules and strategies, since Mafia is such an organic game.

Everyone: As we've seen before, games with newbies often end up with a ton of null tells just because inexperience is inherently a little scummy. We've had a few small things come up already in this game. How do you plan to separate inexperience from mafia slip-ups?

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »

I will try to go with intuition+carefully seeking for slip-ups.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 03:00:43 pm »

Frostmoon: Sure, why not. A majority of people in the forum call me that.

Scripten: I can't really comment on this.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just your average eldritch feline. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 03:06:13 pm »

Scripten: I usually don't see activity (or the void of it) as a scum tell, especially not in a BM, given that they seem to have a high replacement count. Active-lurking, on the other hand, is something I consider a scum tell. You're correct about the strategies and rules bit-they're useful to have, but in certain situations, they won't help you. At all. As for scum slips v.s. newbie slips, that'll definitely be difficult to figure out. On one hand, if we're too harsh, we could end up lynching town, yet if we're too lenient, we could end up giving scum a free pass.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2014, 03:19:05 pm »

Frostmoon, how expierened are you?

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2014, 03:21:22 pm »

Illgeo: This is my first game of mafia. However, I've read quite a few different games.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »

People who were asking about the long post scum tell: While I agree long posts aren't scum tells, when its your first post on the first day, and you haven't been asked anything, it becomes suspicious, looking more like someone is making a long post for long posts sake, rather than the necessity of it.
Scripten: That doesn't change the fact that talking about you being cop so much wasn't necessary, that is all I was getting at. However you were very quick to pass blame.
Colour me suspicious Scripten.
Frostmoon: Look above for my reasonings, also apart from an understanding of the rules and some word of mouth, I'm going in blind.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 04:06:58 pm »

Frostmoon: I expect it will be different from reading games but other than that i'm not really sure. I read a few of the beginner mafias, and i've been keeping up with this latest supernatural. You say you've read quite a few different games. So which one was your favourite?

Nerjin / Deathsword: If you're both scum and an IC, how will you balance that?

anailater: You seem keen to cast suspicion but scared to use your vote. Why do you think there will be broken friendships at the end? Because you're scum?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 04:11:39 pm »

anailater: That would be more relevant, except I've explained to you exactly why I made that post. For one thing, I had been asked about it. Frostmoon asked me if I'd learned anything in my first game here. I replied that I had, and exactly what I'd learned, along with an example of where it became relevant. That it happened to be due to having a role twice doesn't really mean anything. I've played scum before, too. I don't see how that has anything to do with this game in particular?

Yabbo: Good to see another player posting. This looks like it's going to be an active game. What do you think of buddying? Do you feel like scum are more liable to latch onto a confirmed townie and play sheep to them for protection?

Haven't seen anything from either IC yet, unless I'm blind, but I'm hearing thunder outside, so I may lose power for a bit. Just an FYI for everyone.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 04:18:47 pm »

Yobbo: It's only the beginning. Too fwe people posted, so anailater most likely just don't want to hurry.

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2014, 04:27:04 pm »

anailater: Okay. However, Scripten started BM XLVII with a relatively long post. It appears to be his style to post long.

Scripten: I was going to ask you whether you've ever played scum, but you just answered that.

yobbo: My favourite? That's an incredibly hard question to answer. Kill Webadict Now and Neruz's/Vector's Bastard Mafia Game were fun to read, as was King of the Mafia 4 (everyone gets a daykill! :3) BYOR 8 had an example of one of Shakerag's amazing roles, which are always hilarious.

Illgeo: Ironically, in your first post you voted for someone. Why did you vote? Do you know Gulddom?

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2014, 04:29:55 pm »

Scripten: Yeah, one of the beginner games i read had too much inactivity, hopefully this is diferent.

Although really, starting at the same time a new version of DF is released? Good thing it keeps crashing or i'd probably be playing that :).

I'm not sure i would recognize buddying, how do you tell the diference between that and general friendliness, or having the same opinions? Like for example "Good to see another player posting", are you buddying me? o.O

Illgeo: or maybe anailater is scum and you are his/her scumbuddy. Awful quick to jump to the defense there aren't you?

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2014, 04:31:24 pm »

Yobbo: Yeah pretty much what he said, I don't want to vote for Scripten until the time I think I should, and I said broken friendships for two reasons
1: A semi-joke (That was poorly timed and executed)
2: because I've heard stories in these forums of forumites having falling outs over games if mafia.
However you seem daily intent to push scummieness on me because of one small sentence, enough to vote for me even, so you must be fairly confident, care to elaborate on the reasons why?
FristmoonWell as I said I'm going in blind, so I didn't know his tactics, but if its his style then I'm [color=not blue]Unsuspecting Scropyen.[/color]
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2014, 04:33:26 pm »

Yay I actually managed to get into a beginners Mafia before it closed!
Sorry... the signups were actually full and I was too lazy to get off my ass and record that.  you've been put on the waitlist.
Take me off waitlist, then. I don't really want to be plopped into a game already in progress.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »

Frostmoon: I mimiced usual bay12 RVS. I used random.org
Yobbo:I think it is just to early to be throwing accusation
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24