Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1565851 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Capitalism and murder
« Reply #2670 on: June 16, 2015, 02:33:00 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing. If you can't demonstrate intent, it isn't genocide, just as accidentally killing an individual isn't murder. Things don't need to be labeled as genocide to be horrific, just as someone doesn't need to be guilty of murder to have killed someone else. It's the same mindset that labels everything bad as a tragedy because idiots don't understand that superlatives aren't always necessary to convey meaning.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: June 16, 2015, 03:06:56 pm »

I also roll my eyes whenever people say that WW2 was the deadliest conflict in the history of the world EVER, or that hitler invented fascism.
WW2 is the deadliest conflict in the history of the world ever.  By a lot.  Wikpedia claims that the Mongol conquests come close but frankly its silly to list all of an empire's conquests as a single war.

Bear in mind, WW2 exists in a (horrible) "sweet spot" where evenly matched conventional wars were still in style but the world's population was much larger than it had been historically.  Most major wars since have been asymmetrical and most wars before then there weren't enough people around to approach WW2's casualty levels.

Also WW2 generals on all sides had this funny idea that killing enemy civilian populations would make them more likely to surrender.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: June 16, 2015, 04:26:54 pm »

That was poorly worded on my part. The WW2 is the most deadly international conflict the world has known, but I'm pretty sure I read some non wikipedia source years ago on that a certain period of chinese internal conflicts (both related and unrelated to the communist era) quite possibly killed more people, altough I have yet to find it again, so dont quote me on that.

This isn't the source I mentioned, but estimatives on death tolls vary a lot from source to source:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And in regards to the soviets not actualy intentionally causing the holodomor, there's been many arguments on the subject, but the one I find to be closer to the truth involves interests on forced modernization and weakening possibly rebellious groups. The soviets likely didn't want to kill that many people, but there were likely interests of that nature mixed on the modernization and food distribution policies, which only compounded the natural inefficiency of the administration. The soviet union wasn't a magical kingdom with no dissent, after all.

But anyway, I do agree that we dont need to use "genocide" to define any human atrocity perpetrated against groups of people, its just a word that gets thrown around a lot, specialy when its a nation/culture vs nation/culture thing.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 04:37:48 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: June 16, 2015, 05:19:35 pm »

I'd argue that WWII is the most... dramatic, perhaps that's the word? The other human-caused events which come close to the same number of deaths were spread over much longer periods.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: June 16, 2015, 07:27:58 pm »

Dude, I've done pillow talk about unit 731. They're not that unknown.
Helgo, you're a weird sonofagun.
Actually she mentioned that unit. I think I was talking about Mengele. I don't remember how we got to that topic though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: June 17, 2015, 04:21:52 am »

Dude, I've done pillow talk about unit 731. They're not that unknown.
Wanna discuss history?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: June 17, 2015, 10:00:57 pm »

Remember that time I linked Sherlock Season 4, the fanfiction in which Shelrock Homes and Waston team up with Dvaid Cameroon to fight the Joker?

The author wrote more.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: June 18, 2015, 08:58:07 am »

Remember that time I linked Sherlock Season 4, the fanfiction in which Shelrock Homes and Waston team up with Dvaid Cameroon to fight the Joker?

The author wrote more.
Includes such gems as CAPTIN AMERICA INVASION OF VLADEMIR PUTIN and Arrival of THE THIRTEENTH DOCTOR.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: June 18, 2015, 10:52:05 am »

My personal favorite (aside from Sherlock Seasons 4-7, of course) was DAMON GANT ESCAPS FROM PRISOOOOOOON, although the immersive and complex plot of MATRIX SPACE SHIP comes close.

One of the author's favorite authors is Peter Chimaera, though, so these are either intentional or he greatly enjoys trollfics. (The constant appearances of Obama and David Cameron raise some alarms, though...)

Uh, scratch that... I found this on his favorites list...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:59:53 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: June 18, 2015, 11:03:50 am »

But... But...
But spy dolphins, man! SPYYYYYY DOLPHIIIINSSSSSSSS
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: June 18, 2015, 02:15:20 pm »

These are amazing.

My favourite has to be System of a Downtown Abbey :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: June 18, 2015, 04:58:43 pm »

https://youtu.be/t07UzTcApMI

It has to hurt your pride to be a professional medium and mess up your cold reading so many times in a row.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: June 18, 2015, 05:55:17 pm »

That's the part where you take out your flamethrower and start doing hot reading. That is, torch anyone who contradicts you.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: June 18, 2015, 06:55:58 pm »

"Does the date the 11th of February mean anything to you?"
"N-"
*click* "Think carefully"

I can see that working.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: June 18, 2015, 07:49:22 pm »

the "Fresh Prince" theme google translated

EDIT:
Also, did you know that the "Gilligan's Island" theme can also be sung to the tune of "Amazing Grace"?

It kind of works with Just What I Needed too.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 879