Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread  (Read 32760 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:02 pm »

I remember when I went to the doctor to have a rash looked at, and the doctor just told me about Jesus instead of prescribing medicine. Stupid Obamacare.

I'mjoking
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:27 pm »

Anecdotal evidence: I've met quite a few fundamentalists who are non-vocal about what they believe in. The vocal ones are people with controlling personalities or people who get riled up pretty easily. Non-vocals do still care, but do not actively engage. I've found that these tend to be the more introverted people who get swayed or who are born into it.

This post is a complete aside.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 10:55:14 pm »

Yes, the bearded orange fellow is a fundamentalist Christian. I usually don't talk about it because people invariably start telling me I'm an awful person because hurr durr homophobia hurr.
Have you considered dropping the homophobic beliefs, if you do not want people to point out that you're homophobic?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 10:59:15 pm »

took lit 48 minutes for someone to point that out

gee whiz, that's the only interesting aspect of insanity's beliefs isn't it

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »

Yes, the bearded orange fellow is a fundamentalist Christian. I usually don't talk about it because people invariably start telling me I'm an awful person because hurr durr homophobia hurr.
Have you considered dropping the homophobic beliefs, if you do not want people to point out that you're homophobic?
I believe that what he was trying to say is that due to the stereotype of the super-arch-conservative-Christian-hate-groups, he tends to get labelled as a homophobe. Whether or not he is supportive of homosexual equality or not was not part of his statement.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 11:08:12 pm »

I believe that what he was trying to say is that due to the stereotype of the super-arch-conservative-Christian-hate-groups, he tends to get labelled as a homophobe. Whether or not he is supportive of homosexual equality or not was not part of his statement.
Gnorm is mostly correct. I'm happy to discuss it further via PM if anyone wants to. I have a feeling it's going to get fairly flamy here.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:17:38 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 11:09:05 pm »

In that case then I would suggest you say that you are not homophobic when introducing your beliefs, particularly considering that "fundamentalist Christianity" is almost universally associated with it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 11:19:20 pm »

HAW HAW HAW
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 11:20:08 pm »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 11:28:07 pm »

PTW.

* MaximumZero grabs marshmallows for roasting, but otherwise intends to stay out of the conversation.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2014, 11:30:15 pm »

PTW.

* MaximumZerograbs marshmallows for roasting, but otherwise intends to stay out of the conversation.[/me
If things continue as they are going now, I think you'll have cold marshmallows.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:40:23 pm by Gnorm »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 11:38:41 pm »

One part that gets me that I never seen Jacky-boy try to explain is why God would make such a stupid fucking story like the Bible or the Jesus-as-a-scapegoat thing when he created a universe as rational and understandable as he did.

Just doesn't jive together, on the one hand we have a fairly orderly, simple-rules-but-complex-results universe, and on the other hand, talking donkeys and "I love you all but burn for eternity if you don't stroke my ego by believing without any reason to."

Do any of those tracts of his even reference that, even if it's just a "that's all a lie by science"? I don't think he even knows about it.

Edit: Have some flames, probably~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 11:41:45 pm »

Why do you people do these things?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2014, 11:44:22 pm »

In that case then I would suggest you say that you are not homophobic when introducing your beliefs, particularly considering that "fundamentalist Christianity" is almost universally associated with it.
It's a little more complicated than that. I don't judge gays as being worse than anyone else. I still think it's a sin, but being a judgemental prick is given a lot more emphasis as being a sin in the Bible than being gay.
People expect me to be judgemental because of the "fundamentalist Christian" label and I have to suffer the consequences.

As a side note, there's only like two verses in the Bible on the "men sleeping with men" topic, and I can't even remember where they are. I don't really know why everyone thinks it's such a big deal.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:12 pm »

Anecdotal evidence: I've met quite a few fundamentalists who are non-vocal about what they believe in. The vocal ones are people with controlling personalities or people who get riled up pretty easily. Non-vocals do still care, but do not actively engage. I've found that these tend to be the more introverted people who get swayed or who are born into it.

This post is a complete aside.

Episcopalians and other softer, quieter churches are now reaping what they sow as the Christians of Africa (thanks to fundamentalist missionaries) have been Jack Chickified. I bet the next wave will be against soft fundamentalists, like how republicans have their RINOs.

One part that gets me that I never seen Jacky-boy try to explain is why God would make such a stupid fucking story like the Bible or the Jesus-as-a-scapegoat thing when he created a universe as rational and understandable as he did.

Just doesn't jive together, on the one hand we have a fairly orderly, simple-rules-but-complex-results universe, and on the other hand, talking donkeys and "I love you all but burn for eternity if you don't stroke my ego by believing without any reason to."

Do any of those tracts of his even reference that, even if it's just a "that's all a lie by science"? I don't think he even knows about it.

Edit: Have some flames, probably~

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 it 8/8
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:52:25 pm by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16