Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread  (Read 32721 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »

I'd consider Judaism pretty significant.  It's not huge but there's a lot of Jewish movers and shakers.

But yeah, there's no official word on death because it's not as big a deal and I've heard a ton of things, anywhere from no afterlife at all (Sheol being figurative) to a shitty dismal afterlife more in keeping with old fertile crescent stuff (Sheol being literal), to more heaveny stuff.  Not as much on the fire and brimstone, the most common one I've heard is a temporary punishment.  I've also heard about merit-based afterlives, so you can get in without necessarily being Jewish.

So I'd consider that a non-death-centric major religion.  In the Torah stories generally God metes out consequences while you're still alive.  Since obviously the world isn't actually just at all you can see why later religions started shifting reward to after death.  It's the ultimate dodge, if they're wrong you can't call them on it because you're dead.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]