Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65

Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC  (Read 67279 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition: Explorers of the Angaeron Ocean OOC
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:33 pm »

It's justified by her being a good influence on you.

Plus since she hates at least one of the party members with a throttling passion...

Anyway, not the point. Evil may be okay as long as she doesn't start torturing people or anything. Undead, depending on her order's views, might not. And she won't be okay with killing random innocents for bodies. I don't think anyone in the party will, actually.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2014, 11:06:06 pm »

Yeah, you're in a sketchy spot, as is usual for an Evil character in a predominantly Good party. On the other hand, you're LE, so you won't be doing villainous-cackle for-the-lulzs evil stuff, and any decent group of murderhobos PCs will naturally generate large numbers of corpses.

Incidentally, the ship does have a ship's boat to carry landing parties, right?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2014, 11:20:43 pm »

Yeah, you're in a sketchy spot, as is usual for an Evil character in a predominantly Good party. On the other hand, you're LE, so you won't be doing villainous-cackle for-the-lulzs evil stuff, and any decent group of murderhobos PCs will naturally generate large numbers of corpses.

That's not an alignment thing. That's a lazy character thing. A character needs to be multi-facated. I've already decided that Sacha loves children and won't sit aside while they're in danger, enjoys gourmet cheeses, and likes glass bottles.

Doing stuff for the Evulz is a waste of everyone's times.

It's justified by her being a good influence on you.

Plus since she hates at least one of the party members with a throttling passion...

Anyway, not the point. Evil may be okay as long as she doesn't start torturing people or anything. Undead, depending on her order's views, might not. And she won't be okay with killing random innocents for bodies. I don't think anyone in the party will, actually.

Torturing people that YOU know of or at all? Also, depends on your definition of innocent. She won't slaughter without provocation. That's just dumb. BUT... Things do happen sometimes.

Just as long as we can both be the character we want I'm happy.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2014, 11:33:30 pm »

Well, considering she's a decent person(regardless of alignment), if she finds out you've been torturing people she's gonna be pissed.

That said, it's not like there won't be some people she thinks deserve it and she just would have to be pissy about it for paladin reasons(especially since CG Paladins probably hate torture even more than LG paladins. Interrogation is a tool of The Man, yo). She might occasionally happen to 'miss' or 'misplace evidence' regarding certain individuals.

Also, she'd probably just dislike if you killed anyone. At the moment, though, she's rather naive, considering she's never really had anything to do with actually killing real living creatures until the adventure happens.

Always leave room for character development, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2014, 11:50:53 pm »

Yeah, keep in mind that we've all been living on this tiny little island with what amounts to less than 100 people. None of our characters are going to be extraordinarily worldly.

That's not an alignment thing. That's a lazy character thing. A character needs to be multi-facated. I've already decided that Sacha loves children and won't sit aside while they're in danger, enjoys gourmet cheeses, and likes glass bottles.

Doing stuff for the Evulz is a waste of everyone's times.
Agreed on the latter point, but what you're talking about is the difference between CE and Stupid Evil. PCs can genuinely be well-played CE, but it takes a certain touch, and the vast majority of people who go the CE route are lazy Stupid Evil sorts that just want to ape certain webcomic icons without understanding how the archetype works (or why it doesn't always work when playing with other people). Really well-played CE PCs don't even necessarily need to chronically backstab the party, they just need to be utterly horrifying at dramatically appropriate moments.

Ofc. nine times out of ten that results in the well-played CE being fragged or having to turn against the party anyways because, despite it being well-done OOC, none of their characters would tolerate that sort of behavior. So it only really works in Evil parties, which run into the usual problem of people not understanding how to play genuinely evil Evil instead of Stupid Evil, indulging in creepy fetishes, &c.

You probably could make a relatively petty sort of CE work within a party that wasn't otherwise all-Good, with something like prisoners mysteriously ending up dead after giving/refusing to give relevant information, random NPCs going missing from communities the party visits, sadistic tendencies in combat, &c. without pushing things over the edge.

Hell, the whole thing is sort of reminiscent of the old sheep-fucker joke, actually.

"See that city on the coast? I helped save that city from an army of goblins. They don't call me Petyr the Savior, though. And that ruined fortress in the mountains, I killed a lich there. Nor do they call me Petyr Lichbane. But you burn down one damned orphanage..."

3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2014, 11:58:55 pm »

I'm kind of hoping that the whole "Friends since childhood" thing will help keep the other PC's from murdering her, as well as the fact that she isn't going to go around just stabbing orphans for kicks. Still, I'll go ahead and give permission right now:

If murdering Sacha is something your character would do, feel free to PM me about how we can take it from being a "Let's ice this bitch!" to a dramatic confrontation that will allow the living character to walk away from it a better character.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2014, 12:14:44 am »

I like how you already know someone would die in the process.

So, what's her reason for being evil, anyway? What makes her so fucked up when she lives on a small island with obviously a close circle of friends and mostly Good people raising her?

I think the whole 'friends since childhood' should also help her avoid doing things her friends would frown on her doing, too. You're playing an evil character; you're going to have to make compromises. Probably a lot of them. Otherwise you might be Monked. Or Druidedededed. Or etc.

Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:56 am »

You probably could make a relatively petty sort of CE work within a party that wasn't otherwise all-Good, with something like prisoners mysteriously ending up dead after giving/refusing to give relevant information, random NPCs going missing from communities the party visits, sadistic tendencies in combat, &c. without pushing things over the edge.
Technically none of that is specifically Chaotic Evil, just Evil. You could just as easily have a character that is a dedicated Anarchist who isn't at all adverse to murder, blackmail, kidnappings, etc to get their way.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2014, 12:29:39 am »

I like how you already know someone would die in the process.

Well you're a paladin. I expect it to be you. I doubt that the other good characters would take the Evil Cleric's side against the Paladin. So, I figure if it comes down to it we can work out a narrative ending for the situation that lets us all walk away somewhat happier than a "Roll Initiative" ending.

So, what's her reason for being evil, anyway? What makes her so fucked up when she lives on a small island with obviously a close circle of friends and mostly Good people raising her?

Does she need a reason? She has two goals. To be with and protect her friends as well as a hidden one. She's willing to do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. She understands that others have hold-ups on moral issues, but she doesn't view that as a smart thing to do in the world.

I think the whole 'friends since childhood' should also help her avoid doing things her friends would frown on her doing, too. You're playing an evil character; you're going to have to make compromises. Probably a lot of them. Otherwise you might be Monked. Or Druidedededed. Or etc.

She holds no ill will towards her friends and would probably bet talked out of stuff by anyone who doesn't have a absolutely awful charisma score since if you have a low charisma you're not good at talking. You made your decision, deal with it!

But um.. Anyway, yeah. She's not going around murdering people for giggles as I said. She'll do evil stuff, but only when neccesary.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2014, 02:28:35 am »

How about we see how things work out before we start making plans to murder each other? :|

My only concern is that I don't know how druids traditionally react to necromancy. I mean: death is a part of life, but would they see undead as blasphemies against the natural order or just as another way of living?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2014, 02:30:13 am »

How about we see how things work out before we start making plans to murder each other? :|

My only concern is that I don't know how druids traditionally react to necromancy. I mean: death is a part of life, but would they see undead as blasphemies against the natural order or just as another way of living?
Generally they see it as a very bad thing, along with aberrations and the like, but there are a few options for undead druids and similar... unusual kinds of druid.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2014, 02:48:20 am »

A dead body is dead either way. Whether it's helping somebody or just sitting there I wouldn't think it matters.

You know, someone's gonna read this thread and think "Gosh, that Nerjin sure is a prick. Picked a Lawful Evil character just to screw up the party."

I can't wait for them to say it!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 02, 2014, 05:57:49 am »

See, I really disagree with that sort of thinking. As long as it's played well, a party with a varied dynamic like this (We've got people all along both axes) is much more interesting than all-LG or whatever.

3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 02, 2014, 09:35:03 am »

What feat to choose. Hmm.

Almost done.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 02, 2014, 10:15:55 am »

On the topic of EEEVIILLL:

There is another kind of EEEVIILLL, too, that I saw in another 3.5 game (which, interestingly, was also navally based); there was this guy who played his character like a Neutral-something one, but was subtly less than kind. Probably works out better than trying to rip off Black Mage of 8-Bit Theater, which seems to be the ultimate goal of a lot of people playing chaotic evil characters.

Besides, having a party made entirely out of characters that could qualify as paladins is really boring. It's worse than the exact 3 and a half millimeter line between good and evil of cheap 80's fantasy movies. ((I mean, 80's fantasy movies are, admittedly, a decent scenario to pull off in D&D, probably better than the emo antiheroes that clutter that sort of film today, but having the right mix between ethical morals and (potentially conflicting) personal traits is key to a good character.))

Yes, I know I probably just repeated half of what you guys were talking about, but I wanted to throw in my two cents. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65