Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023943 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

His face... by the Emperor...

In the instance of this head that's actually how it's supposed to look.  :P

It's the bare head from FWs Lord Zhufor, which has scars and a mangled jawline. It's only got 3 thin layers of paint and two washes on it, Zhufor just happens to be really ugly.  :D

EDIT: Next on the conversion block is the Iron Hand from Deathwatch, who's getting turned into Gahlan Surlak, the World Eater's equivalent of Chenkov. He's an apothecary who can turn your basic Tactical Marines into more killy close combatants but they lose the ability to score. They pretty much become horde tactics marines with S5, chainaxes and pistols.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:04:49 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's pretty cool. Can I ask how you did that? Did you have to make the login screen from scratch?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Yeah, I just designed it in GIMP. Ripped the Imperial Aquila image, resized it, colored it green. Found a good digital-looking font. The hardest part was adding scanlines to all the images and text, which just involved using the selection tool to tediously select the lettering and applying a Distort effect to remove lines for the scan line effect.

The actual process of a custom login screen is detailed here: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/change-and-customize-windows-7s-logon-screen-wallpaper/

I'd actually have made it a lot fancier-looking but the image can't be larger than 245KB or 256KB. And just that simple stuff came out to about 208KB at 1920x1080.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:33:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I belive that the laspistol used by Death Korps is just the regular one that you see every once in a while, but...
...what laspistol do you think would fit Death Korps? Back when I did Pixel Wars, I had an idea for Luger-esque Laspistol, though Mauser C96 (albeit that's what the regular one is similar to already) would certainly fit too.
I always had a raging hard-on for pre-WW1 Austro-Hungarian pistols, like Mannlicher M1901, Roth-Krnka M1907 or the most aesthetic pistol ever produced, Steyr-Hahn/Steyr M1911 (fucking great year for pistols) but they don't have that much of distinctive features to be easily recognizeable in Laspistol form.
Borchardt C-93 is easily recognizeable, Bergmann M1896 also has an interesting look. Maybe some other pistol though, not necessarily German/Austro-Hungarian? Maybe even not from WW1.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm not sure why I think this works, but there's the Gyrojet series, which were honest to god real life bolters in WWII.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unrelated, spoiler from Pharos.

Ugh.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unrelated, spoiler from Pharos.

Ugh.

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's the difference between a Magos Militant and a Myrmidon?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Magos Militant seems to be an general term for Magos that kills stuff, while Myrmidons are specialized "Magos Siegecraftus". So, every Myrmidon  is a Magos Militant, not every Magos Militant is a Myrmidon.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure why I think this works, but there's the Gyrojet series, which were honest to god real life bolters in WWII.
Vietnam-era, not WWII. And they didn't even really work. Inaccurate, unreliable, and actually had a minimum effective range before the bullet accelerated to a damaging velocity.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I've seen a thread few years ago on /k/ where a guy that owned a Gyrojet was wondering why it was so innacurate actually, since in theory it should be great and what was more weird, every rocket was innacurate in the same way. He checked, and on every single (original) rocket, backplate slightly (as in, less than a mm) covered one of exhaust noozles, which caused the rocket to go off course.
He drilled a bit and the projectiles became very accurate all out of sudden. I'll try to find that thread.

There's a chance that Gyrojets never really took off simply because of one slight technical malfunction that could be easily fixed but nobody really noticed. Reliablity problems came from them being rushed, and minimum effective range could be fixed by initial kicker charge that doesn't even really have to be that big. In other words, maybe bolters aren't that stupid as they seem, you just need to get a person who actually do it properly.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Gyrojets were also notoriously... Oddly made? Like the quality between each pistol and the ammo varied a lot for some reason. That is one of the reasons it didn't take off, with the other reason being that they were rather underpowered in comparison to regular pistols and the ammo was rather expensive.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

I think the GW dudes actually nailed it there, in that for working better a gyrojet would indeed need a firing case to shot out like a bullet and then igniter the rocket once is out of the chamber. Essentially a two stages rocket of sorts. That's however, kind of tricky to do on real life, a mini rocket that survives being propelled with the impact of a bullet first.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 824