Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1023937 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #6660 on: September 19, 2016, 09:01:58 pm »

is that warp dust, brother?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: September 20, 2016, 07:32:19 pm »

What strength is a transsexual Ctan in close combat?
I feel like it should definitely be high enough to ID a t3 guardy and invalidate his FNP.
WOT.
There's many jokes to be had about shards here

But yeah, this wasn't even a transcendent shard, this was full blown nightbringer which ate carnifexes and dreadnoughts

Then... then how did a t3 guardsmen with no save whatsoever survive so many rounds? Did it just flub all its hits and wounds?

Also thank you apple, for enriching the gender possibilities of ancient soulless star-eating god-abominations.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: September 20, 2016, 10:18:31 pm »

Besides ctans are omnisexuals- they'll eat out anything's power.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: September 21, 2016, 02:44:51 am »

What strength is a transsexual Ctan in close combat?
I feel like it should definitely be high enough to ID a t3 guardy and invalidate his FNP.
WOT.
There's many jokes to be had about shards here

But yeah, this wasn't even a transcendent shard, this was full blown nightbringer which ate carnifexes and dreadnoughts

Then... then how did a t3 guardsmen with no save whatsoever survive so many rounds? Did it just flub all its hits and wounds?

Also thank you apple, for enriching the gender possibilities of ancient soulless star-eating god-abominations.

Cadians. ( insert that aliens meme dude)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: September 21, 2016, 09:33:47 am »

Based on some teaser material GW have released it looks like genestealer cults will have access to tanks, probably Leman Russ variants.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: September 21, 2016, 09:40:22 am »

Based on some teaser material GW have released it looks like genestealer cults will have access to tanks, probably Leman Russ variants.
This is unacceptable. Genestealers should only have access to sadness and a profound sense of disappointment as they get shot from halfway across the board.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: September 21, 2016, 09:42:53 am »

This is unacceptable. Genestealers should only have access to sadness and a profound sense of disappointment as they get shot from halfway across the board.

You still have your basilisks for that.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: September 21, 2016, 06:46:47 pm »

I'd assume most should have infiltrate, but hey.

The teaser video interested me. Why would genestealer cults bother with the demagoguery when they're all mindlinked anyway?

Which raises the idea that perhaps they rope in normal gangers.
But even then you'd think they get to jabbin' and matin' and free will go byebye.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: September 21, 2016, 07:10:33 pm »

Despite being mindlinked genestealer cultists have independent thought. They're not slaves to the Patriarch's will, they're a family, a religion based around the worship of their genetic sire and the goal of placing him atop the society they dwell in and ushering in the coming of their salvation from the stars. To what extent they know of the wider Tyranids is questionable, but it is likely the Patriarch lies to them or is ignorant themselves of the ultimate fate they will face when the Hive Fleets arrive.

Most of the 'stealer cultists don't have infiltrate from what I recall, though they can get it from their formation. Only the Patriarch and the purebreds have it. The others are supposed to lack the true stealthy nature of the genestealers that lets them infiltrate on tabletop.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6669 on: September 21, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »

Weird thing about genestealer hybrids is that the more generations they go down, the more they look like the host until they are indistinguishable from the host (cept maybe not under medical/inquisitorial/psyker examination). Hosts of genestealer genes (in a funny way, genestealers reproduce like a superior version of space marines) are slaves to the brood and there's not really any reason to keep them ignorant of their ultimate fate of when the nids arrive as they're more than willing to die/breed for the brood, do fight for the nids when they arrive, and are incapable of rebelling. Of note though, is that to reproduce they need a partner of the host species that need not be infected with genestealer genes (thus having a cultist who is pure host and can't be infected for whatever reason) would have to be kept in the dark until such time as their infection.

The preacher is probably spreading recruitment propaganda to get more uninfected humans to accept genestealer hybridisation
Also of note is that genestealers themselves, whilst not independent from the hive, are incredibly autonomous (not being synapse nids and all), which explains why their hybrids can also be functionally indistinguishable from free-willed hosts

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: September 21, 2016, 08:34:46 pm »

Genestealers themselves are instinctively programmed to flee the hive fleets and scatter to the stars in the name of self preservation. The Norn Queens made them that way to make them function as a vanguard organism that needs no direct oversight. They're smart enough to out think most humans, more agile than anyone who isn't a genemodded assassin, as strong as marines and able to survive in conditions that would kill an ork and have the free will to take advantage of all of this for personal gain. It helps the Hive Mind avoid wasting time on sneaking them onto refugee ships and military evacuation vessels that it could spend guiding 'gaunt swarms and warriors.

The wider brood inherits the same basic qualities, but they diminish as each generation passes. The gen 1s and 2s are more alien than man, both in body and mind, but the gen 3s are close to human and the gen 4s are almost human, with all the good and bad that entails. Early gens are stronger than late gens, and are implied to be more devoted to the brood than their own children are. All are highly autonomous and theoretically capable of disobeying the Patriarch, though anyone who tries is probably mentally dominated and slain.

The rules pdf for the models from Deathwatch: Overkill have some fluff that is somewhat interesting. https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Deathwatch/40k-rules-deathwatch-en.pdf
Notably the Magus is able to order his brethren around because of their devotion to the Cult of the Four-Armed Emperor as much as, if not more so, than his personal and psychic power.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: September 21, 2016, 09:00:12 pm »

quote author=Loud Whispers link=topic=139714.msg7185025#msg7185025 date=1474506312]
Weird thing about genestealer hybrids is that the more generations they go down, the more they look like the host until they are indistinguishable from the host (cept maybe not under medical/inquisitorial/psyker examination).
[/quote]

Homeopathic genetics?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: September 22, 2016, 12:17:43 am »

Quite possibly.
I wouldn't want to be the 4g giving birth to a purestrain though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: September 22, 2016, 03:15:46 am »

Weird thing about that is that despite the gen 4s numbering in the thousands or millions in most major infestations they still have rather few purestrains among their ranks. In theory a mature cult should include several thousand purestrains, but usually they seem to be depicted with only a few dozen or less.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: September 22, 2016, 03:50:30 am »

Weird thing about that is that despite the gen 4s numbering in the thousands or millions in most major infestations they still have rather few purestrains among their ranks. In theory a mature cult should include several thousand purestrains, but usually they seem to be depicted with only a few dozen or less.

May be the environment danger level affects this?

In shitholes, where you need LOTS of purestrain, genestealers have lots of purestrain, but in society, which would be easier to infiltrate with gen 4 hybrids, the ammount of purestrains would stay rather low.
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 824