Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 1022315 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4035 on: May 03, 2016, 06:45:07 pm »

So,if we manage to summon him do yoy think he'll eat SEGA's executives heads for pressing so much crap into creation? Although I think they can live for a few weeks without it, not that they use it that much.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: May 03, 2016, 06:48:44 pm »

For some reason when I saw the DoW III screens my first gut reaction was also "Hrm, mobile." Dunno why, perhaps its the just the scale and positioning of the screenshots.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:18:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: May 03, 2016, 07:51:50 pm »

Also apparently the plot point of DoWIII is Ynnead.
Where did you hear this?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: May 03, 2016, 08:00:08 pm »

Where did you hear this?
BLASHEMY! GW WOULD BEVER ADVANCE THE PLOT!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: May 03, 2016, 08:05:11 pm »

They advanced the FB plot, all the way to Skubland.

I decided to reteach myself how to play with TTS.  Some of these rules seem weird and I feel like I must be misreading.  In the version I played I remember you having to distribute wounds across a unit, and each unique type of model had to have one wound before you could double up (so a tac squad would need one on a regular marine, one on captain, and one on heavy weapons before you could wound another tac) and in this one it seems like all the wounds just pile on the closest guy, then the next closest?

Is that how it actually works?

Also how is CSM in the new version?  I've heard it's Helldrakes as far as the eye can see, but I don't want to play Khorne so daemonkin are out. 
Shoes...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:44 pm »

Where did you hear this?
BLASHEMY! GW WOULD BEVER ADVANCE THE PLOT!
Perhaps not advance the plot, but rather expand and clarify on existing plot? So far the whole Ynnead thing is pretty much untouched as a concept in 40k. Fleshing it out a bit would add some impetus even if they don't actually advance it.

For example, say it's the beginning and you have Tyranids. They're planet-eating bugs from another galaxy. That's it. A few years later, it gets clarified that they're just the scouts of the greater Hive Fleet who want to eat the Astronomican. It's not advancing the plot, it's just fleshing out what's already there and setting up future events even if those future events are never covered.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: May 03, 2016, 08:53:42 pm »

"Fleshing out" in 40k can sometimes have the unintended consequence of making things less cool though. (See: The Primarchs and several examples of when the Emperor has actually opened his gob and spoken.)

I think that's the line 40k has always treaded, is that its mythology is awesome and possibly more awesome than anything that can or would happen now. To me the historical setting has always been 40k's strongest point, not its pivotal moments. This is especially true for Fantasy, and after the Age of Sigmar I am in zero hurry to see what an advanced plotline for 40k looks like. Unless it's the Black Crusade getting shit done and years of debauched, warp-infused fiction I ain't really interested. There doesn't seem to be anywhere go with most of the other villainous races and practically all roads lead to the final death of the Emperor and of the Imperium. Crons, Tyrannids, Orks, they can't really carry the universe anywhere post-Imperium because they're so one note. In the Tau there is something to work with, but, you know, fuck the Tau. Chaos is really the only faction with enough personality and appeal to potentially carry the weight of the future IMO.

And as for the "elder gods" of the 40k universe, they're so ill-defined that unleashing them on the galaxy would effectively be like writing a new, major race into existence. As I've said before 40k is so defined by the Imperium these days that I'm not sure the setting has a cohesive identity without it. That's my bias showing, clearly. But let's be honest: 40k is about the human race first and foremost. I wouldn't put it past GWS to make the next iteration of 40k be "humanity is now all space refugees" and it's Old Night all over again. Whatever happens though, I think humanity has to be at the center of it. Humanity in 40k is the emulsion in which all the great xenos races are suspended and what helps pull the universe together thematically.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:58:30 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: May 04, 2016, 12:57:37 am »

No, that's not bias. Imperium and Chaos are the only two truly essential races to 40k. All else is bonus. The best/most interesting parts of the Tau, for instance(btw Tau are great fuck you corpse worshipper(:p)) are basically all comparison to Imperium in one way or another, or reminders of things about it. The genuinely original stuff is fairly sparse, and usually not well enough fleshed out to truly sink your teeth into.

I can see Eldar/Chaos/Imperium/Necrons as carrying a decent plotline if they advanced it. Like, focus would be on them. Orks are subplots/jokes, Tyranids are literally made of plot-engine anyway, Tau are subsubplots, Dark Eldar are [sub*1.5]plots, Mechanicus and Sororitas are subplots at best....probably Space Marines in particular, as usual. Just fits that sorta thing. But yeah, I can see genuine possibility for good story, both narratively and battles-wise, with those four as the focus. They're the ones that can really significantly impact the setting while having interesting characters and interactions. Chaos, Necrons, and Eldar are all enemies, Imperium hate Chaos significantly more than Craftworld Eldar, and somewhat more than Necrons, so...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:04:34 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: May 04, 2016, 02:44:18 am »

Mechanicus and Sororitas are subplots at best....
I disagree on both these points. I think the Mechanicus would be a subplot at least while the Sororitas are a subplot not at all. Let me start with the latter first.

The Sororitas have no plot power. They're nuns with guns that have no mystery or grand story to tell. They're purely fire support for the Imperium and would have about the same amount of plot centricism as the Imperial Navy.

The Mechanicus, on the other hand, are fairly important. They're the guys who would be linked to Golden Throne repair parts, Dark Age superweapons, and the Akashic Reader.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: May 04, 2016, 04:29:01 am »

But the nuns with guns are the Sisters of Battle, not the Sororitas as a whole. As far as I know, the rest of the Sororitas are like actual nuns, who go around building Scholas, spreading faith, etc. A cool plot for them, in my opinion, would be a Joan of Arc-ish story.

Some peasant girl from a feudal world gets visions and messages from the Emperor (or not...) and rises through the ranks and becomes a Canoness or something. Then, after a game's worth of misadventure and witch-burning, she stumbles upon the truth about the Emperor not being a god and all, and has to either:

Accept it out of loyalty to the Emperor, tearing down the Ecclesiarchy and shattering the faith of trillions of people (whose faith may or may not be empowering the emperor).

Deny it out of loyalty to the faithful, letting them sleep peacefully at night, maintaining some semblance of unity throughout millions of worlds. However, the Imperium stays the overzealous, intolerant cesspool it is.

The Imperium might have been previously united because the Emperor was alive, who was gigantic and golden and invincible. But that won't work now that their glorious leader is a skeleton hooked up to life-support.

So, 40kJean's choice is to serve either the real corpse, or a man-made god.

Unrelated, but I wanted to know: If the Imperium is so reliant on the Astronomican, which is on Terra 'cause the Emperor is there, how did they Warp travel when the Emperor was alive and well (thus moving around a lot)?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4045 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:19 am »

Mechanicus > Everyone else
They got all the plot, they're just hoarding it on Mars

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:48 am »

So, 40kJean's choice is to serve either the real corpse, or a man-made god.
Text To Speech Device did it first with Decius, and better for that matter.

Unrelated, but I wanted to know: If the Imperium is so reliant on the Astronomican, which is on Terra 'cause the Emperor is there, how did they Warp travel when the Emperor was alive and well (thus moving around a lot)?
It's sort of unclear, but it appears that in life Emps was just so powerful he could both power and direct the Astronomican from half a galaxy away.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: May 04, 2016, 07:27:10 am »

I have a half-answer for you courtesy of my FLGSM- the warp was apparently dead calm immediately after the birth of slaanesh- which apparently happened right at the beginning of the great crusade.
So depending on how long it took for the fuckery and nonsense to happen, the whole crusade and heresy might've happened during that period.
Which Emps probably knew was temporary so started building the astronomicon into the throne, because he's clearly more clairvoyant than a farseer-daemon-prince-of-Tzeentch.

Or can only "humans" become daemons?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4048 on: May 04, 2016, 07:36:38 am »

Also the Adeptus Mechanicus created a device which was essentially a warp weather forecast telling them when the warp was not full of storms, allowing them to travel through whilst everyone was getting invaded by Slaanesh

Further proof that Adeptus Mechanicus > Everyone Else

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: May 04, 2016, 07:41:09 am »

Nonhumans can become daemons, but it's exceedingly rare as the other major candidates are all out. Slaanesh keeps all of hir Eldar safely stored in the Sea of Dicks, and the few Eldar who go to other gods have to also stay hidden because nothing really deters Slaanesh. Orks are immune to chaos by design, Necrons have no souls, Tyranid daemons only exist in All Guardsmen Party, and while Tau probably could do it they'd have to do exponentially greater work to attain daemonhood.

Only minor xenos are really eligible, like the Yu'Vath, who were so thoroughly corrupted their leaders were their daemons.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 824