Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next focus (I will work on the Human Civ in the meantime):

Manuals
Dfhack r5 / Stonesense Overlay
More Graphic Item tiles (tools, toys, crafts, hardcoded tiles)
Bugfixes / Balancing
Warlock Update

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: UPDATE - V.5.10 - Best update + STOCKPILES + MULTI-ZLEVEL VIEW  (Read 24522 times)

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE - V.5.09 - Best update + STOCKPILES!
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2014, 07:49:13 am »

A vanilla dwarf fort can mine straight down and get adamantine in the first year. There is no progression in this game.

Its quite hard to mod, too. It can be done now with Roses upgrade scripts, which adds upgrades, counters and timers... so if I do start to use that a lot, I could make a race with such a clear progression, most likely that insect race, or something similar. But not dwarves, nor humans I am working on atm will get it.

I personally would be very pleased with such a progression in the insect race, it was one of the most appealing things to me about (I believe) LFR's research system. I might be thinking of old Genesis though.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2014, 07:55:46 am »

LFR is the one I was thinking of, specifically.  I haven't looked at Genesis in a very long time, but I don't think it really had "research" as such.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2014, 08:10:34 am »

"Progression" would only have a place if forts didn't die to FPS after 6 years. Finally getting something fancy then waiting several hours at 20 fps before a siege is hella boring.

There's also the fact that skill level is more important than anything else. After a couple years, a couple dwarves in leather armor with a copper spear can wipe out entire sieges. If progression is taking you 5-6 years, then it's going to be a "win more" situation.

The way sieges are set up is also counterproductive for a progression setup. Sieges happen with a small one, then the next one is full bore. After a couple years, you hit the "you're either going to survive or you're not" point.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:18:10 am by omniclasm »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2014, 08:32:29 am »

"Progression" would only have a place if forts didn't die to FPS after 6 years. Finally getting something fancy then waiting several hours at 20 fps before a siege is hella boring.
Depends on your machine.

Skill level is an issue, yes. As is the skill level on the invaders. If each invasion would get "skill level +1" for each consecutive attack, that would be great. This way they slowly get harder to beat.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2014, 08:51:46 am »

There's also the fact that skill level is more important than anything else. After a couple years, a couple dwarves in leather armor with a copper spear can wipe out entire sieges. If progression is taking you 5-6 years, then it's going to be a "win more" situation.

The way sieges are set up is also counterproductive for a progression setup. Sieges happen with a small one, then the next one is full bore. After a couple years, you hit the "you're either going to survive or you're not" point.

All the more reason to have some high quality endgame siege enemies! Things you really won't be able to beat without several squads of highly trained soldiers or at least a full one of legendary plate armored ones.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2014, 11:24:28 am »

"Progression" would only have a place if forts didn't die to FPS after 6 years.

They die to Masterwork DF upgrades before that. ;)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2014, 11:32:42 am »

:D

Surprised to see the Warlocks overtaking the manuals.... perfect excuse NOT to work on manuals. :P
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2014, 12:03:59 pm »

this.

EVERY DAMN TIME!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2014, 12:08:52 pm »

If its any consolation, the same thing happens to my forts. Every time I start a community fort, it dies because it became outdated so quickly.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2014, 12:37:26 pm »

For some reason, the game always crashes when I reach worldgen year 2. On both my computers. Garden of Gaia. Any idea why?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2014, 01:13:23 pm »

If its any consolation, the same thing happens to my forts. Every time I start a community fort, it dies because it became outdated so quickly.

Why do you keep shooting yourself in the foot?!

/joking*

*maybe

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2014, 01:18:16 pm »

Why do you keep shooting yourself in the foot?!

/joking*

*maybe
Because modding is more fun than playing, at least for me :P

Tirion: Nope... maybe try the LAA patcher, or different worldgen settings. Any errorlog you could post?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2014, 11:37:36 am »

I just opened up this version and DF is crashing when quiting. Dwarf, Ironhand, default font. Well, it would be default font but it's not. It's automatically switching to Ironhand and F12 does nothing. After selecting quit, DF just crashes (Dwarf Fortress has stopped working). Trutype font is greyed out in the settings program.

Windows 7 x64
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not much in the errorlog

I haven't even genned a world. I just opened and closed DF.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:40:56 am by BigD145 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2014, 11:45:55 am »

I just opened up this version and DF is crashing when quiting. Dwarf, Ironhand, default font. Well, it would be default font but it's not. It's automatically switching to Ironhand and F12 does nothing. After selecting quit, DF just crashes (Dwarf Fortress has stopped working). Trutype font is greyed out in the settings program.

Windows 7 x64

Not much in the errorlog

I haven't even genned a world. I just opened and closed DF.
Just change your Printmode back to 2D. Its the OpenGl your system has problems with. You need to disable Item Graphics first, thats the new option on the first tab.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13:42 pm »

Ah, the item graphics thing. Okay. That fixed it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11