Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Next focus (I will work on the Human Civ in the meantime):

Manuals
Dfhack r5 / Stonesense Overlay
More Graphic Item tiles (tools, toys, crafts, hardcoded tiles)
Bugfixes / Balancing
Warlock Update

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: UPDATE - V.5.10 - Best update + STOCKPILES + MULTI-ZLEVEL VIEW  (Read 24508 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: UPDATE - V.5.09 - Best update + STOCKPILES!
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2014, 01:11:18 pm »

Yes.

I plan to change this, and use prisoners as reagent. "Use dwarven hostage to lure dwarf caravan". And then you murder them, while your dwarven prisoner watches. It seems fitting for the civ.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »

Warlocks can still summon caravans from other civilizations via the Tome of Sator right? Even if they can't really 'trade' with them per say... I imagine they'd be freaked out by skeletons hauling goods to the depot.

warlocks can fully trade normally with the tome summoned caravans, you can even order the metals you need for the philosphers stone infact thats the only way to get them, unless you get really -really- lucky with your siege-metals and whats in the ground under you.

would love a full-metal alchemist philosphers stone, human souls ! !

they're not freaked out in the slightest about your skeletons . or raised megabeast manticore pets.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2014, 04:16:58 pm »

No, only the opposed to life undeads will auto-attack. Not the "normal" working skeletons etc.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

WodanYmirthe2nd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2014, 05:11:04 pm »

I wish I could play this but the recent versions of the game keeps exiting thanks to my laptop not having the GPU driver needed to run 5.08 despite the fact that I've made the Tileset into ASCII.

DjangoBob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »

Meph... wow, I got used to Dwarf Fortress, !!fun!! wasn't even a thing I dealt with anymore. I've been playing for a long time, and my respect for Toady's work is immense, but you've reintroduced... well game elements into what ended up as a weird art piece/simulation. I have massive amounts of respect for both of you, but... well when I got bored with Dwarf Fortress I found Masterwork which has kept me fascinated, kept me watching Toady's work as anything but a curiosity, and... to be honest has recently kept me sober simply because I'd rather keep the game up and managing all the weird crap inherent to DF requires a sober mindset. Waking up I usually just deleted fortresses I did drunk or on speed, they were inefficient, killed my FPS(drunk more than speed, both ended up in convoluted layouts I couldn't read properly without spending an hour studying them for different reasons), and... you've done an awesome thing for an amazing work of art.

I hope you keep updating this for awhile, IVaN died with no funding and that always kind of bummed me out, but I love your mods and what they do to the game. I haven't even bothered to play with anyone but dwarves. I was in court the other morning(and getting boned) and I came home and saw an update here which made me smile and go for it rather than go grab some bourbon like I wanted. Thanks to both of you, but... well I like content, I understand the implications and reach of what Toady is doing and I love the fact the programming is within his bounds and produces itself in such a way. But I'm a writer, not a programmer, and between the two of you something exists which is genuinely helping folks. And that's really fucking cool. Just remember ya'all are part of that.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:48 pm »

I wish I could play this but the recent versions of the game keeps exiting thanks to my laptop not having the GPU driver needed to run 5.08 despite the fact that I've made the Tileset into ASCII.
Disable "Item Graphics" (that new thing) change PRINTMODE to 2D. You wont have the new graphics, but it will work fine.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2014, 12:22:51 am »

Was something intensive added to "onBuildingCreatedDestroyed"?

Queuing up a lot of buildings almost causes the game to crash in the newest version, and that seems the most likely culprit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2014, 12:23:57 am »

Was something intensive added to "eventful.onBuildingCreatedDestroyed"?

Queuing up a lot of buildings almost causes the game to crash in the newest version, and that seems the most likely culprit.
I dont add anything to anywhere, but I update Roses scripts. Thats the only dfhack change. I will post it in his thread.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2014, 12:28:58 am »

Figured out what it is, seems to be the machina script.

Maybe tie the update machina to a timeout instead of onbuildingcreate? Or put some kind of limiter that keeps it from triggering more than every 5 ticks or something.

I mean, there's no reason it needs to run 500 times when you decide to pave a floor above ground.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:34:53 am by omniclasm »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2014, 12:48:51 am »

Figured out what it is, seems to be the machina script.

Maybe tie the update machina to a timeout instead of onbuildingcreate? Or put some kind of limiter that keeps it from triggering more than every 5 ticks or something.

I mean, there's no reason it needs to run 500 times when you decide to pave a floor above ground.
Dont talk to me about this, write IndigoFenix. :P

He did work on it, and send me a new version, but I didnt include it in this update, it was just a few hours ago... but please mention it to him.

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2014, 03:22:49 am »

There is some black magic happening with this update! I run MDF in a virtualbox atm. When I try to maximize the window, not only DF, but also virtualbox crashes!
But because I love this update, I just play in fullscreen mode :)

One other thing tho:
the seperators you added for the stockpile menu can appear as a preference of civ members. I currently have a warlock which
"likes ::::::::::::::ORE::::::::::::" with : being those pointy thingies. Not a big Issue, but I fear, that it can be part of a demand (just guessing here).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2014, 03:58:11 am »

I guess it crashes because of the TwbT renderer.

And yes, I noticed the problem with the preferences... I can remove that easily... but it would remove them from the stockpile list as well. ;)

Marc Remillard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2014, 04:19:25 am »

Meph... wow, I got used to Dwarf Fortress, !!fun!! wasn't even a thing I dealt with anymore. I've been playing for a long time, and my respect for Toady's work is immense, but you've reintroduced... well game elements into what ended up as a weird art piece/simulation. I have massive amounts of respect for both of you, but... well when I got bored with Dwarf Fortress I found Masterwork which has kept me fascinated, kept me watching Toady's work as anything but a curiosity, and... to be honest has recently kept me sober simply because I'd rather keep the game up and managing all the weird crap inherent to DF requires a sober mindset. Waking up I usually just deleted fortresses I did drunk or on speed, they were inefficient, killed my FPS(drunk more than speed, both ended up in convoluted layouts I couldn't read properly without spending an hour studying them for different reasons), and... you've done an awesome thing for an amazing work of art.

I hope you keep updating this for awhile, IVaN died with no funding and that always kind of bummed me out, but I love your mods and what they do to the game. I haven't even bothered to play with anyone but dwarves. I was in court the other morning(and getting boned) and I came home and saw an update here which made me smile and go for it rather than go grab some bourbon like I wanted. Thanks to both of you, but... well I like content, I understand the implications and reach of what Toady is doing and I love the fact the programming is within his bounds and produces itself in such a way. But I'm a writer, not a programmer, and between the two of you something exists which is genuinely helping folks. And that's really fucking cool. Just remember ya'all are part of that.

I second some of that (personally I think amphetamines are a terrible idea, grow some weed), its been great seeing (what I would call) a bit more life breathed into DF during the long dry spell of updates. I respect Toady and his work greatly, but I feel like open sourcing it and allowing other contributors is what holds its back. That's his choice and I respect it, but I wish it were different, and I suspect it'd go better with a crowd of hungry developers let loose on it :) Or at least, allowed to be let loose on a fork of it. Perhaps that would ruin it, there's something to be said for benevolent dictators too.

The new tiles look amazing, I'm torn between losing TT fonts though, its hard to go back.

The only other input I've got atm, is it'd be nice if MW settled down in terms of flux... the changes between releases are fairly huge, and that would probably put off people that want to contribute or play catch-up. Its not really a criticism, just an observation.

What I find most with the game atm is its lack of progression, which in some ways can be mitigated by making your own rules, but I personally think it'd be nice if there were more concrete steps in the progression. Somehow :) I don't have any great ideas on that atm. I was thinking of a generic database support in dfhack that collates information/stats ongoing, and we can make some lua scripts that act on that... even just time itself maybe being a factor ie you can't smelt AmazingMetalX until ten years in or something.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2014, 07:12:30 am »

What I find most with the game atm is its lack of progression, which in some ways can be mitigated by making your own rules, but I personally think it'd be nice if there were more concrete steps in the progression. Somehow :) I don't have any great ideas on that atm. I was thinking of a generic database support in dfhack that collates information/stats ongoing, and we can make some lua scripts that act on that... even just time itself maybe being a factor ie you can't smelt AmazingMetalX until ten years in or something.

Modding can do most of that, and Masterwork has steps in this direction, with its "research" workshops.  The basic concept is you need to research A, to build B, to research C, to build D....  There are some other mods with longer/deeper technology trees.

Personally I wouldn't be a fan of "can't do X until year Y".  It's too arbitrary and meaningless.  On the other hand, if you can't do X until you have a Holy Vegetable, which takes 5 years to reach maturity, then you get a similar result but with at least some kind of justification.  (Then the tricky part is preventing people from getting a Holy Vegetable from caravans or embark.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2014, 07:21:42 am »

A vanilla dwarf fort can mine straight down and get adamantine in the first year. There is no progression in this game.

Its quite hard to mod, too. It can be done now with Roses upgrade scripts, which adds upgrades, counters and timers... so if I do start to use that a lot, I could make a race with such a clear progression, most likely that insect race, or something similar. But not dwarves, nor humans I am working on atm will get it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11