Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79880 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #345 on: February 16, 2018, 11:38:16 am »

I wonder if there'd be still enough interest in the game around bay12 for a community let's play, with one "admiral" requesting ships in a certain cost bracket and various "industries" players providing designs?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 16, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »

As cool as that sounds, my ability to make anything in this game is pretty terrible. I don't know what the meta is or anything aside from fragmentation missiles got nerfed a while back.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 16, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »

I could probably throw together a few things for you.  Maybe.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2018, 05:59:44 pm »

Don't feel bad, I've almost a thousand hours and still can't design an effective cram nor I've beaten the campaign, I just keep losing myself in the designer.

Likewise. I've designed probably 6 various ships of different displacements that work well enough, but every time I think I'm ready to start playing the campaign I redesign a couple ships and lose the whole night.

Same. I feel like dumping the entire set of ships I have and start over, because I find them too... fat? Something. Even though I tried to use real-world ship dimensions to design them. They're also hella expensive to build. Need to cheapen it a bit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2018, 11:25:21 pm »

I like putting things inside ship hulls a lot more than building the hulls.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2018, 11:26:32 pm »

One person builds the hull, another person builds the components?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2018, 01:00:07 am »

I feel like this game gives you too much freedom, I have only beaten the DWG and OW... Then I turn back and spend a few months in the designer and forget what I was doing and restart. I have ten versions of the same helicopter even, simply because I can't find a design I fully like.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2018, 03:29:10 am »

That could work too.

The real kicker is that you don’t need perfection, you can just ammass a large fleet of suboptimal ship and just throw resources at the problem, they don’t get stronger than 150 cp anyway

And one doesn’t have to play against godly designs anyway. Half those are tournament winner class!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:32:26 am by LoSboccacc »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 17, 2018, 04:12:22 am »

That could work too.

The real kicker is that you don’t need perfection, you can just ammass a large fleet of suboptimal ship and just throw resources at the problem, they don’t get stronger than 150 cp anyway

And one doesn’t have to play against godly designs anyway. Half those are tournament winner class!!

I'd enjoy playing against only expert and godlys.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 17, 2018, 04:25:57 am »

yeah but in the campaign what happens since the limited resources update is that you continuously fight design that have 100k+ rp of weapons with maybe a pool of 40-60k resources, something like that. which is doable, but you need very complex and very strong crafts yourself

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 17, 2018, 05:02:15 am »

Or one laser satellite. But that's too cheesy until we get enemy satellites. One of my designs can take on a perferator reliably, but if it has air support I'm screwed. Though, that can be countered with my own air support or one of my subs, which always have a ton of missiles, could be told to target planes etc. Problem with that ship is though, it's max movement speed is 9 if I'm remembering correctly...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:35 pm »

I've finally figured out how to make things in this game reasonably!  Yay!   And I've lost over a weeks worth of time in the designer and like others never even touched the campaign!  I do have a few weird oddities that maybe some folks can help me with though.

I finally designed what I consider a battleship (probably much smaller than what others have) it is about 150 tiles long, with 7 Advanced guns, 2 anti missile lasers and an AA missile rack, but there are two problems.  For one, the back propellers never seem to activate, and they in fact seem to disable every other propeller on the ship when they are added.  There are some large propellers farther up on the ship on a bit of separated armor plating that work fine so it can't be an engine problem.  Is there a max range that propellers can be from the ship's mainframe or something?

2nd I saw some turrets on other ships with shields built onto them and functioning quite well, but when I tried to do that with my battleship's main gun the shield is not functional.  The ship should have plenty of battery power is there something special I need to do to transfer battery power from the ship to the turret?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 17, 2018, 08:21:56 pm »

Currently, shields run on engine power, not battery. The only reason that shields provide battery power storage is that it's planned to change shields to battery power at some point. There is nothing special needed for power to transfer to the turret.

Not sure on the propeller issues, since I don't know what you're doing. There's no distance or connection requirement for propellers being controlled by a mainframe. All it needs is an AI card slot connected to a mainframe, and a Naval(for ships) AI card attached to the card slot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 17, 2018, 08:34:47 pm »

Fortunately after posting here I figured out the propeller issue, it seems that sometime after being built all the propellers on the ship were being set to use 0% of the engine power.  It seems that after fixing that other propellers got set to )% instead both those are just redundant thrusters and are not as important as forward movement :)

Thanks on the shield thing though.  That said, considering the shield claims there is not enough drive power to run, and the oddity of the propellers randomly being set to 0% drive power maybe I just need to make the engine beefier.  Thanks much!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 17, 2018, 10:09:13 pm »

Another problem with the propellers could have been if you added some kind of... thing to the ship which I forget the name of, it was either a PID or the 'propulsion balancing' AI card.

If you somehow set all the propellers to power 0 it's possible that you were tinkering with an ACB at some point and set the propellers to 0 power. You may have also accidentally set the shields to 0 power too, or set the engines to not give any power to shields (can you do that? It's been so long I forget). It may be worth it to put an ACB and make sure that everything that can be toggled off is actually toggles on real quick by setting it up and hitting 'test'.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33