Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79889 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2018, 05:46:16 pm »

In the sandbox you should be able to just enter build mode and it'll spawn a wood block to start building with, assuming you're not near anything else.  Otherwise in the block menu there should be a new vehicle option in the same section where the turrets and spin blocks are.  Sandbox also gives you and your ships infinite building resource, but I believe there's a button to turn that off.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2018, 06:20:38 pm »

Tried this game out a while ago and after doing the first tutorial(?) mission, and steaming around finding nothing, I went into sandbox to try to build a boat and couldn't figure out how to start one.  Also it seems that there is a need to get resources but I never seemed to need any?   And I hear people in this thread talking about AI controlled boats but I never saw any?  I think I've been playing the wrong gamemode or something.

I think I'd love this game if I could actually figure out how to play it.

you need quite a lot of parts just to get started, but I've thought of something that could help without removing creative freedom. I call it the block, and it's the center of most of my ship. it only contains the basic: naval ai, some ammunition, some fuel, a good engine with medium power.. you only need to add the ship bits and weapons around to get started and, once you feel confident enough, you can snoop in to see how it works and what makes it ticks:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2rxmd1gw1t64y4/the%20block.blueprint?dl=1

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2018, 06:31:03 pm »

I got Ninja'd but the image in the above post shows what your first ship might generally look like. Don't try to make it too complicated to start with.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 21, 2018, 11:20:17 am »

Tank built. To get the ground wheels to work, I had to build an overhanging ramp using alternating 1m slope blocks, then place the wheels on the inside edge of that ramp. Weird, but it worked.

Main battle test was against a DWG-Nessie, an airship with a similar cost to the tank(around 13kmt). I think victory was more due to me piloting the tank(thus repairing it; I should probably shut that off), but it handled the Nessie's autocannons pretty well, while the tank's cannon(225m guage, 5xgunpowder casing, base bleeder, stabilizer fin, solid, sabot, sabot head) cuts clear through the hull of the Nessie.

Against itself(by placing an enemy simulator on the other tank), the high AP of the cannon is apparently the tank's greatest weakness. Experience playing War Thunder agrees - penetration is god in tank battles.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 21, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »

try more combinations, from 100, to 400mm there are a lot interesting choices for early tanks

400mm could work as aphe

100mm can be a rotary sabot gatling gun

300mm squash head is very effective

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 21, 2018, 09:19:41 pm »

In addition to the tank, I just started work on a landing craft to haul them overseas. Most of the important parts are already done, including balancing under load, and docking points for the tanks. It just needs a manual control room, and an extendable ramp for the tanks to disembark from. It can hold two tanks, with or without them being docked(docked is far safer), and still has a very shallow draft(a little too shallow, it interferes with main propulsion).

When I tried to perform an AI-controlled landing maneuver on Eriwick, something derped and and the ship decided to drive along the bottom. Had to pull it out of play(and watched as the OoP tanks hovered over water to their destination). I'm guessing a reef or something, just below the water; I had the set AI's minimum pathing depth to 0m, since it's meant to hit the beach.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2018, 04:14:35 am »

there's a control for the AI that marks a vehicle as amphibious for pathfinding purposes, the ai will refuse to get close to landmass without (unless in combat, then they get stuck like there's no tomorrow)

one thing you could try is to have the ai broadside angle to zero, so they charge to the enemy, then a control block that turn off the ai when terrain altitude reaches above zero and another in the same place that opens the gate and release the dock

trick is the control block will measure terrain altitude under itself, not under the ship, so if you place it higher or lover matters and if it's placed on the nose it will measure altitude from the craft nose

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:49 am »

Not sure if the amphibious setting worked or not. I did figure out that it didn't hit a reef, it just loses all buoyancy when there's terrain a short distance under it. It might be caused by the tanks being docked. Reasoning this because the game heavily slowed down, but sped up some when I undocked the tanks.

I'll try setting an ACB undock the tanks before hitting any sand bars or the like.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 22, 2018, 08:05:21 pm »

the new turret allow for very compact design, managed to build a predator almost to scale

sadly the wheel have weird attachments

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 23, 2018, 07:12:29 pm »

Akura did you ever manage to understand how docking works? I can't get the 'safe angle' and 'safe distance' to work so when recalling the ships they get stuck into the pretend-clamps

https://streamable.com/zc0we

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 23, 2018, 07:30:45 pm »

Honestly, I don't know how the safe angle/distance settings work. I didn't touch them. In most cases, whenever I toggle the docking tractor on, the tanks usually phase through the hull.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2018, 03:27:12 am »

recreated the average robocraft hover bot with simple lasers... it's as op as it sounds

https://streamable.com/oartf

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 16, 2018, 10:03:29 am »

Great... I decided to get back to this after a year(or two?) and I forgot everything I once knew. Tested my old ships to see that they still do pretty well, then spent wayyyy longer than I would have thought taking apart my own old designed ships just trying to figure out what my old design methodology was... also my old aircraft don't seem to steer anymore. Hrm.

Sigh* 75 hours of historical playtime and yet back to the tutorial for me.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 16, 2018, 10:40:24 am »

Don't feel bad, I've almost a thousand hours and still can't design an effective cram nor I've beaten the campaign, I just keep losing myself in the designer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 16, 2018, 11:26:14 am »

Don't feel bad, I've almost a thousand hours and still can't design an effective cram nor I've beaten the campaign, I just keep losing myself in the designer.

Likewise. I've designed probably 6 various ships of different displacements that work well enough, but every time I think I'm ready to start playing the campaign I redesign a couple ships and lose the whole night.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33