Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer  (Read 79882 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the Depths now on steam and with multiplayer
« Reply #315 on: July 19, 2017, 06:45:27 pm »

I just more or less finished a simple enough cargo boat. Carries 240k materials, costs 10k materials itself. Gave it a 3-barrel autocannon for defense, firing a full 153 belt-load of 54mmx270mm(432mm with casing) rounds, about 3 shots per second. Not sure whether I should make it a total solid bullet(with either AP or sabot head), or full HE with either a proximity or inertial fuse. The latter noticeably does more damage to most(and multiple) blocks, but has trouble with armor and most of the rounds fail to blow, while the latter does more reliable damage even if it fails to penetrate. HE seems to be more effective against smaller unarmored targets, while AP can eventually take down a block or two of large armored ships(like Onyx Watch).

Of course, it's a cargo ship not meant for combat, so the gun is mainly for self-defense.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2018, 07:58:59 pm »

Rising this back up From the Depths. *gets shot*

Somehow I failed to notice this got a fantastic patch. I was wondering why I suddenly had a "Clear Clips" button on the railgun I was playing with.

Lots of cool things. Being able to toggle ACBs is a huge plus. Also, stacked spinners.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 06, 2018, 09:17:06 pm »

I got this game a long while back but didn't spend much time on it until a few months ago. I spent days making a ship. Turns out it's a very shitty ship, but it's mine. Spent ages trying to get the bow to slope correctly and once I finally did it turned out that it actually made the ship slower than simply having a giant wedge in the front. Still can't figure out how the targeting works, it always seems like the sensors track stuff the boat guns aren't even targeting. I have a main cannon and two AAA, and the sensors won't target aircraft to make the AAA more accurate which is very annoying.

Then I went and took a look at the very first boat I made back when I first got the game. Refined it a tiny bit and actually put some hydrofoils controlled by a PID on it to make it not flip out of the water at high speed which I was somewhat proud of. It's still a very crappy boat with a crappy dinky turret on it that does no damage.

Spawning in the stuff that comes with the game just sort of makes me realize how I'll never be able to make anything as awesome as that...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 06, 2018, 10:40:44 pm »

Regarding the sensors, are you using both normal detection and tracking sensors? Also, different tracking types have different accuracies. Cameras(both visual and IR) give very good bearing accuracy, but poor range estimates. Radar gives good range estimates but poor bearing prediction. 90° give even better scans than 360°, and gimbal tracking sensors give the best targeting but cannot pick up new detections(essentially, they enhance existing scanning).

Also, mainframes can only target one enemy at a time - all LWCs connected to it will fire on the mainframe's target. Using multiple mainframes(and changing the channel for wireless LWCs) will allow you to target multiple enemies with different guns. I learned this one today.

But yeah, I totally understand how you feel.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 06, 2018, 10:48:23 pm »

I can't remember and don't feel like starting the game up to check, but I have three mainframes (one for driving the ship, one for the cannon, and one for the AAA. I could probably have the cannon be on the navigation computer but whatever). I don't remember how I have the mainframes set up to the sensors right now, but I do remember that I forced the gimbal trackers to only track what the turret is aiming at by sticking them into the turret and limiting their field of view. I'll maybe give more detail once I can be bothered to boot the game up and check. The problem could entirely be that the AAA computers aren't hooked up to any of the non-gimbal trackers, but again I'd have to double check.

Also yes, both the AAA are hooked up to one mainframe, which seems like it'd be fine for now unless one of the turrets can't engage due to firing arcs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 07, 2018, 09:43:46 am »

Sensory for me mostly boiled down to slapping a handful of cameras or whatever until I get 100% detection in the sandbox.  I know the system is far deeper but I don't really bother to think about it.

I could have sworn mainframes on the same ship can share detection data but I don't remember where I saw that.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 07, 2018, 09:50:08 am »

I saw the same on the Steam boards, that mainframes share targeting data. Not sure if this requires connection between mainframes or not.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to make continuous spin blocks(or rather, heliblades) spin at a rate set to the air drive factor? ACBs lack variable outputs(or inputs) and don't do anything based on(or to) the drive factors. I assume a lua script can do it, but I don't really know how to program in lua. Trying to make a propeller-based plane, and not use a complex controller - the reason for this is that wing control surfaces don't play well with the CC.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:07:55 am by Akura »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2018, 01:18:02 am »

I have to go to bed soon but out of curiosity I booted the game up to see how I had my sensors hooked up. On both AAA I have a receiver attached directly to active gimbal sensors right on the guns, but I apparently never hooked up a receiver to the actual active/passive sensors. I seem to remember the gimbal trackers being able to track despite this which made me think perhaps the gimbal trackers can track as long as any active/passive sensor has found a target regardless of if it's transmitting to the correct mainframe..? Maybe I'll have to do some more testing when I have more time.

So the elevation only turret is a new thing, has anyone found a use for it? I figured it would perhaps be good for adding a smaller coaxial machine gun to larger turrets, but I don't even know if that would be useful itself.
I assume a lua script can do it, but I don't really know how to program in lua.
I do think that the game should rely less on people being able to know how to script and instead allow you to do these sort of things in a plug-and-play way. "If x then do y" would be a good start, right now ACB's can do that for the most part but the UI isn't the best and it targets every block within a range instead of being able to target specific blocks. Plus you need a whole new ACB for every single condition and action you want to do.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2018, 04:29:18 am »

the elevation turret is quite good to elevate slow guns (or to elevate fast gun faster)

so a 5mt base + elevation to make cram acquire target faster and be more accurate is one thing (the elevation turret won't collide with the ship itself, perfect for a ball turret)

the other thing I did was make an extra cheesy drone orbiting 500 mt out at 200m/s shooting simple lasers - you need a 5m base + the elevation turret to make them track the target precisely, the single two axis turret isn't enough

that said I still can't enjoy the current shield meta. was hoping to see the shield rework but losing hopes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:18 pm »

Tried to build a tank, but it barely moves. I'm pretty sure it's because there's too much collision with the ground, but there's the problem with ground wheels; they're too small.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2018, 01:50:42 am »

I’ve heard disruptor emp has had the accuracy penalty removed, haven’t tried it yet, that could work

edit:
inertial cram should now reach beyond shield now with the explosion rewrite on devtest

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:14:11 am by LoSboccacc »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2018, 10:11:34 am »

So I purchased this game, went through all the tutorials, story missions, etc.

Finally started playing the actual game

Took two hours trying to design the perfect starting ship, got frustrated and ragequit.

So I should try again at some point.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 18, 2018, 11:10:02 am »

One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give is to put a heavy(preferably lead) keel on the bottom of the ship, to put the ship's center of mass below the center of buoyancy. This prevents it from capsizing so easily, and helps right itself if it somehow does.

I also suggest looking at pictures of actual ships and such to get an idea of how to shape yours.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 18, 2018, 04:33:14 pm »

One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give is to put a heavy(preferably lead) keel on the bottom of the ship, to put the ship's center of mass below the center of buoyancy. This prevents it from capsizing so easily, and helps right itself if it somehow does.

I also suggest looking at pictures of actual ships and such to get an idea of how to shape yours.

Well, the biggest problem I was having was I was being a perfectionist without the experience to pull it off.  I should just make a shitty starting boat, then improve it as I go.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 18, 2018, 04:45:08 pm »

Tried this game out a while ago and after doing the first tutorial(?) mission, and steaming around finding nothing, I went into sandbox to try to build a boat and couldn't figure out how to start one.  Also it seems that there is a need to get resources but I never seemed to need any?   And I hear people in this thread talking about AI controlled boats but I never saw any?  I think I've been playing the wrong gamemode or something.

I think I'd love this game if I could actually figure out how to play it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:46:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33