Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A lot of child immigrants  (Read 1624 times)

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
A lot of child immigrants
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:49:01 pm »

So I've had what seems like a crazy amount of child immigrants in my last 2 forts, probably half of each migrant wave... for 8 waves in a row. At this point a third of my fort are children. I like to leave the little bastards for the snatchers but I may have to start aggressive disposal. Is this normal??
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A lot of child immigrants
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 04:59:41 pm »

That's a bit abnormal. Children are common but normally not THAT common. Did you embark in a very young world by chance with a parent civilization that is small and lacking in historical figures?

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 05:35:39 pm »

If you have a lot of immigrant kiddies then they'll grow up at quite a respectable pace. It's not as annoying as the sucklings which take 12 or 14 years or whatever it is until they can swing a pick.

If you build constructions out in the open then you can occupy all your adults with a big dump order or something, then order the constructions deconstructed. All the children will run out into the open to deconstruct the walls. If this is timed with the arrival of a siege, then the attackers will be occupied chasing around and murdering children, leaving the attackers in a perfect state of disarray and distraction for being stomped by your military. It's like the female military dwarf who carries her baby into battle to act as a shield, but at a fortress level instead.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 05:38:57 pm »

There's a much simplier method. A lever joined to -large iron serrated disk- ;)
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:34:38 pm »

There's a much simplier method. A lever joined to -large iron serrated disk- ;)

That's not even necessary. Make some weapon traps and burrow your victims excess dwarves on it. When they fall asleep, it will affect them and they will be blown to bits.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 06:44:58 pm »

What date did you stop world gen at?

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 07:31:25 pm »

That's a bit abnormal. Children are common but normally not THAT common. Did you embark in a very young world by chance with a parent civilization that is small and lacking in historical figures?
My second fort was stopped at 50 years I believe but the first went 500 or so and the parent civilisation was quite large (the snarling roads, great name), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:51:19 pm »

Set your baby/child cap to something quite low and wait for the immigrated kids to grow up. 1/3 children is no problem at all; food and drink are easy enough to produce and low childcaps (e.g. 20/20 - i.e. no more than twenty children, no more than 20% of adult population) prevent further pregnancies. If you had over 60% children, that might be reason for concern.

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 08:02:18 pm »

Set your baby/child cap to something quite low and wait for the immigrated kids to grow up. 1/3 children is no problem at all; food and drink are easy enough to produce and low childcaps (e.g. 20/20 - i.e. no more than twenty children, no more than 20% of adult population) prevent further pregnancies. If you had over 60% children, that might be reason for concern.

My child cap is fairly low but I've long since passed it. All these brats are immigrants, no children have been born in Keytall in years. I really think my only viable option is to use them as ammo in some sort of minecart shotgun system. Even in iron armor, a dwarf child travelling roughly 200mph should smash a goblin to bits. but they throw so many damn parties.....

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 08:29:44 pm »

My child cap is fairly low but I've long since passed it. All these brats are immigrants, no children have been born in Keytall in years. I really think my only viable option is to use them as ammo in some sort of minecart shotgun system. Even in iron armor, a dwarf child travelling roughly 200mph should smash a goblin to bits. but they throw so many damn parties.....

May I suggest this thread
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 05:26:26 am »

I had the same thing. World gen stopped at 125. In 128, I had a population of 145 with almost 50 children.
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 04:28:55 pm »

Make a dwarven Daycare center (imprison your kids in a well-appointed room along with dozens of turkeys. The children will occasionally be attacked by turkeys. After a few years, the kids will have decent fighting skills, and can join the military when they grow up.)

Unfortunately the optimal design for such daycare is still being finalized. With as many children as you have, you could accomplish a great deal of science!

See this thread for more details: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'