Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hopes and Dreams realized, new update dynamics  (Read 6262 times)

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hopes and Dreams realized, new update dynamics
« on: July 04, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »

I'd like to take the time to make sure each and everyone of you is aware that elven genocide and extermination will be a reality. Great job Toady, may you forever update Dwarf fortress.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Hopes and Dreams realized, new update dynamics
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:33:49 pm »

Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:40 pm »

I'd like to take the time to make sure each and everyone of you is aware that elven genocide and extermination will be a reality. Great job Toady, may you forever update Dwarf fortress.

It already exists, though only on worldgen.

Adventurers will be able to carry bodyparts on dead enemies and use them for shock effect. Now beating someone to death the the severed arm of his/her spouse will have a new meaning.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:19:59 pm »

It already exists, though only on worldgen.

Adventurers will be able to carry bodyparts on dead enemies and use them for shock effect. Now beating someone to death the the severed arm of his/her spouse will have a new meaning.

As if the arm club wasn't awesome enough as it is.

I once beat a vampire to death with the corpse of a guy it killed after getting called out. Is that gonna make me look bad?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 07:46:36 pm »

Pfft, I took the skeleton of a guy a dragon killed and drove its skull through its brain with said skeleton.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:27:44 pm »

The ability to retire forts is going to make playing the bad guy much more viable. Launching assault son your own retired fotresses, while the inhabitants are still living there because the inhabitants are kind of evil, or because you're evil, will be a new challenge to face if a player sees fit. Community games revolving around setting up a fortress for another to infiltrate and defeat its inhabitants will be a thing as well.

Also, when DFhack updates and we get the embark anywhere tool for D2014, I'm going to try embarking on a retired fortress to see what happens.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:35:51 pm »

The ability to retire forts is going to make playing the bad guy much more viable. Launching assault son your own retired fotresses, while the inhabitants are still living there because the inhabitants are kind of evil, or because you're evil, will be a new challenge to face if a player sees fit. Community games revolving around setting up a fortress for another to infiltrate and defeat its inhabitants will be a thing as well.

Also, when DFhack updates and we get the embark anywhere tool for D2014, I'm going to try embarking on a retired fortress to see what happens.

What happens now if you embark on aabandoned fortress?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:30:35 pm »

Community games revolving around setting up a fortress for another to infiltrate and defeat its inhabitants will be a thing as well.
Definitely this!  :D

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 09:51:07 pm »

Question...  does this mean that we shouldn't hit the big red "DESTROY IT ALL"  button on our fortresses when we get tired of them?

I'm gonna be slightly worried about singlehandedly wiping out the dwarven population when my megaprojects turn lethal, or when I feel like casting my whole site into the magma.

Hopefully the number of dwarves/hilldwarves or whatever remains abstract, so i'll keep getting a steady supply of test subjects migrants to try out my steam trap help around the fortress.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 11:10:04 am »

Question...  does this mean that we shouldn't hit the big red "DESTROY IT ALL"  button on our fortresses when we get tired of them?

I'm gonna be slightly worried about singlehandedly wiping out the dwarven population when my megaprojects turn lethal, or when I feel like casting my whole site into the magma.

Hopefully the number of dwarves/hilldwarves or whatever remains abstract, so i'll keep getting a steady supply of test subjects migrants to try out my steam trap help around the fortress.
Pretty sure if you have a reasonably non-hostile world (not scores of megabeasts) the dwarven populations are usually in the 10,000s, so unless you have the computer at CERN, you don't have much of a chance of getting the entire species
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:42:53 am »

Oh look.  My first sig.
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 11:49:14 am »

I've only been sigged twice, and this is the first one that I think is good. Cool.

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 02:59:39 pm »

This is excellent. I always wanted to use Zandatsu on a higher level, and on a bunch of assholes.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 08:07:14 pm »

So, what changes are there supposed to be?

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 09:27:33 pm »

So I could drop a captured elf down enough Z-levels to critically wound, but not kill, him and he will spend his dieing breaths sobbing when he realizes that I've dropped him down the same hole I dropped the rest of his family to die in? Sweet! One death pit per family deploy! Plus a communal one for the ones with small or no families.
Pages: [1] 2