Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas  (Read 16462 times)

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
  • you can never have enough fortifications
    • View Profile
Re: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2014, 06:39:39 am »

i dislike the idea of being forced to use the carvers. the incentive to go to the cavern should be the creatures within, since they would have lots of interesting traits to assimilate. furthermore, i think that the whole pretend decoy fortress should be there mostly for flavor, and for interacting with other civilizations. also, since these insects would be so self-sufficient, and would have no need for most standard materials, i think that you should have them be unable to trade at all. finally, going along the lines of assimilation, i would be happy to help with adding traits and castes.
iron within, iron withouth

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2014, 08:08:17 am »

And how exactly do you want to do this, in a mod with standardized body tissues?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2014, 11:39:55 am »

could we get a "inject serum" reaction to bypass having to go into the caverns?

maybe use gems/crystals as energy sources with the rocks/metals to produce gas for building (thinking starcraft)
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2014, 01:39:53 pm »

And how exactly do you want to do this, in a mod with standardized body tissues?

You could give each creature an individual extra butcher object that could be eaten.  Or if it's a plant, brewed.  Kind of like the civilized creature souls, although with so many creatures that would be a lot of extra work.  Maybe it could be only for select, rare creatures.

Alternatively, you could just stick with megabeast remains.  While dwarves could use them to revive the beasts themselves or level up, the insects could convert them into edible items and assimilate their traits.

DeathShad0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2014, 09:13:09 pm »

could we get a "inject serum" reaction to bypass having to go into the caverns?

maybe use gems/crystals as energy sources with the rocks/metals to produce gas for building (thinking starcraft)
Go the crystal/mineral route à la Starcraft? I can see it.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2014, 07:14:09 pm »

dang, i forgot about that. but if you change the idea a bit, so that most of the mutations would be random, and not to powerful, something small like [EXTRAVISION] or a toxic bite/sting (if they dont already have one). there would each be a separate caste, and would have their own description. there should be building that takes a larva and some specially processed (read: chewed into a mush and then spat out) warpstone/candy and creates/does (!fun!) STUFF. as to what that STUFF might be i leave up to you. here is a example i created. this would be one of the rarer castes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i am not sure if i missed anything, but the basic idea is that this caste creates a pheramone that couses the targets to go into a chemically induced beserk state untill they use up literally all of thier body energy and thier body suffers a catastrophic meltdown.

DeathShad0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2014, 09:28:37 pm »

i am not sure if i missed anything, but the basic idea is that this caste creates a pheramone that couses the targets to go into a chemically induced beserk state untill they use up literally all of thier body energy and thier body suffers a catastrophic meltdown.
I don't know about catastrophic meltdown, but what if they rather enter a dormant state for x amount of time? Months maybe?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 07:02:45 am »

CRAZED is unfortunately a really bad idea for civ-member buffs, as it leads to instant-loyality-cascades. As a weapon against invaders its great, but I cant add a buff for the insects thats based on crazed.  :-\
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2014, 01:28:10 pm »

that is why i gave all insects immunity to it. its not intended to be used on your own workers or soldiers. it is purely a weapon.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2014, 03:26:07 am »

apparently, humans are going to be the next race that Meph adds, and thus, in the meantime, i will do what i can to create a foundation on which Meph can base the insects when he gets around to making them. any feedback, contributions of RAWS, and discussion in general is welcome. now, quick question, should i continue using this thread to post new stuff, or should i create a new one?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2014, 04:43:01 am »

Continue here please. This thread is link from different sources and most people land here, for example from reddit as well.

If I can help, just ask. I prefer to do humans first, because they are easier to make, and thus will be added faster. This insect race, if done in a similar fashion to Warlocks (make them completely different from anything else in DF), is a larger project.

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2014, 05:46:57 am »

here are some wood related reactions, i will add more later. feedback is welcome.
reaction_ insect sawmill

[REACTION]

[REACTION:BARK_INSECT WET]
[NAME:chew lumber into mush (4)]
[BUILDING:INSECT SAWMILL:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:ROUGH:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:10:2:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:TREE_SMALL:SEED]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:WOODPULP:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE:PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:WOODCUTTING]

[REACTION:BARK_INSECT DRY]
[NAME:chew lumber into sawdust (4)]
[BUILDING:INSECT SAWMILL:CUSTOM_B]
YESSIMPLEWOOD[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:ROUGH:WOOD]
[PRODUCT:10:2:SEEDS:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:TREE_SMALL:SEED]
[PRODUCT:10:4:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SAWDUST_PILE:INORGANIC:SAWDUST_SOLID]

[REACTION:HARDEN_SAWMILL]
[NAME:harden woodpulp]
[BUILDING:INSECT SAWMILL:CUSTOM_W]
[REAGENT:A:3:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:WOODPULP]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BLOCKS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

note to self: add drying process to woodpulp block production?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2014, 06:48:03 am »

Nice idea.

Drying is weird in DF, since there are no time-based reactions. I do use it on clay, because clay is unlimited and I had to make it harder to use, but wood is limited. I think it looks fine as it is. :)

Just remember that the insects will not be all-biological. Due to DF limitations they still need tools (axes) to cut wood, to mine (picks), and wear clothing. Of course I can rename axes to "chitin axe mandibles" and the picks to "digging claws" and the clothing to "chitin carapace", but they will still be slightly humanoid in form. At least having arms or appendages that grasp things.

But nice idea, I would have never thought of that. ^^

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2014, 05:25:45 pm »

i believe the succubi do not require clothing, but still wear it.  could it work for the insects?
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2014, 10:58:44 pm »

Edit: Just realized that this civ doesn't have a queen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11