Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas  (Read 16450 times)

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [INSECTS] - Swarm Race Ideas
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2014, 09:03:36 am »

since the humans seem to win for the next race, does that mean the insect race isn't happening or at least not this release? :(
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2014, 09:08:02 am »

I can work a bit on the humans on and off, they are not so difficult, but the insects would be as complex as the warlocks. I can certainly try to do them when/if the fundraiser finishes and take an entire month for them, but it would be a lot to write them just on the fly.

First comes cleanup and one smaller update for each race, and then humans I'd say.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
  • you can never have enough fortifications
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2014, 11:16:05 pm »

here are some more reactions for our chitinous friends: as always, feedback is welcome.

[REACTION:DESTROY_SLAG_INSECT]
[NAME:render down slag in the vats]
[BUILDING:BIOLOGICAL_SLAG PIT:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:2:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:SLAG][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:3:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NATIVE_COPPER]
[PRODUCT:10:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:3:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NATIVE_PLATINUM]
[PRODUCT:3:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NATIVE_GOLD]
[PRODUCT:3:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:NATIVE_SILVER]
[PRODUCT:100:5:BOULDER:NONE:ORGANIC:SLIME][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

[REACTION:INSECT_NESTROCK]
[NAME:Make nest-rock from woodpulp]
[BUILDING:SLAG_PIT:CUSTOM_C]
[REAGENT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:WOODPULP][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[PRODUCT:100:6:BLOCKS:NONE:INORGANIC:NEST-ROCK]
[SKILL:SMELT]

notes to self: give slime produced by insect slag pit a minor syndrome? make insects melt weapons and armor into a goo that can then be used in all of their metal based reactions?
iron within, iron withouth

sonofperturabo

• Bay Watcher
  • you can never have enough fortifications
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2014, 08:03:40 am »

here is a reaction to turn your workers into brutish soldiers. i have also included some of my earlier reactions that have since been improved

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

critique is as always, welcome.
iron within, iron withouth

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2014, 09:41:30 am »

Code: [Select]
[CE_ADD_TAG:TRANCES:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:175:PEAK:500:END:NONE]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_PAIN:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:175:PEAK:500:END:NONE]
[CE_ADD_TAG:SLOW_LEARNER:SEV:100:PROB:100:START:175:PEAK:500:END:NONE]
They dont work like that. These tags have no severity, start isnt 0 (?), peak and end you can just delete (so it would look like :START:0] nd slow learner is not a tag you can add with interactions/syndromes.

But I havent forgotten about this project. Its just that other will be done first. ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2014, 09:54:24 am »

Do we have any reactions to make explosive mini bugs or bugs that spray acid or fire around?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2014, 10:05:18 am »

Here's an interesting bit: There is actually a way to replace a creature's tissue material with another material directly.  For instance, you can create a tool called a '(material) nutrient wad' or something, that can be made out of any metal.  Then run a reaction that will turn the worker's exoskeleton tissue into the material the wad is made of.  This is how the construct-creature script works (spawning a creature and then changing its material), but it can be just as easily applied to an already existing creature.

Unfortunately there is no simple way to display the changed material in-game (construct-creature uses a rather extensive workaround just to display the proper color), although it is possible to change the creature's first name to something that includes it.

It's really kind of strange that this is possible, it stands out as a glaring flexibility in the normally rather inflexible body structure code.  Perhaps Toady was planning on adding in a curse that turns a creature into living metal or something but scrapped it halfway through.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2014, 10:35:06 am »

Thats awesome :)

"Grow chitin carapace" => Creates carapace armor, costs chitin/biomass.
"Don carapace armor" => Takes armor as reagent, gets used up, worker gets carapace material naturally added.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2014, 10:48:38 am »

Thats awesome :)

"Grow chitin carapace" => Creates carapace armor, costs chitin/biomass.
"Don carapace armor" => Takes armor as reagent, gets used up, worker gets carapace material naturally added.

This would give fantastic control over the military, if you're willing to work with manager a lot. Would also represent a completely different method of equipping than other races, which would be cool.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:50 am »

It also is another source of micromanagement: Its hard to check who already has what kind of armor. And since its by reaction, you would have to make each member of the fort run the fitting reaction once.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 10:53:40 am »

It also is another source of micromanagement: Its hard to check who already has what kind of armor. And since its by reaction, you would have to make each member of the fort run the fitting reaction once.

True, but micromanagement isn't so bad if you're systematic. If you're equipping your military just assign to squads as they're equipped. Then you know easily who has been armored. Or nickname them.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Dark5pawn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 02:17:48 pm »

Since I didn't read through each and every post I don't know if this was posted a while back. Would it be  possible to make the armor similar to the gnomes animal armor system? Just because that would allow the insects to take trade whatever the foreign armor but not equip. Other idea make everything but their armor types marked foreign or mark theirs  in a manner similar to the foreign tag and make them unable to equip armor with/without that tag.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 02:23:03 pm »

Dark5pawn: IndigoFenix described exactly that (animal armor from gnomes), 5 posts above you. :D

And foreign items can still be equipped. I cant enable/disable this, thats hardcoded.

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:19 pm »

Is it possible to have bugs become immune, or at least start immune to some specialized bug syndromes that they could then spread via methods?

I'm thinking of some sort of suicide military elements that go and die, the more bloody the better, thus spreading the syndrome with their blood. The other insects would have to be immune to it though. Maybe mutate it so that it becomes stronger, more debilitating as they age or advance? Eat poisons to add effects?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 04:03:03 pm »

Sure, thats easy to do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11