Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47350 times)

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2014, 01:32:32 pm »

This is wild idea. Gonna try it out later.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2014, 01:57:45 pm »

Has anyone tried to contact the creator to tell him about the Bay12 thread? He might be interested (sorry if I've missed him/her!).
If I recall, one of the bugs fixed last update was credited to have been reported by us.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2014, 02:47:35 pm »

I feel like the dev should come talk to us. Just because most of the devs eventually end up coming here.

Also I played it again and this game really really needs a pause feature.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2014, 08:05:28 am »

Hi everyone, I'm the developer of Submarine Commander - better late than never, right?

I've played Dwarf Fortress for years and it was definitely a major inspiration for this game. I've never been active on these forums, but I do now check this topic from time to time as there have been some excellent suggestions and bug reports here. Mono124's comments a few pages ago were particularly useful - all of those bugs were either fixed in last week's version or will be fixed in the next update.

At the moment I'm working on improving the medical system, improving the mouse controls and adding more detail to the world map. The much-requested and extremely useful active pause feature will also be in the next version. I'm open to suggestions for other additions people would like to see - whether it's a feature, a type of submarine, a country or whatever.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2014, 10:36:59 am »

Hi everyone, I'm the developer of Submarine Commander - better late than never, right?

I've played Dwarf Fortress for years and it was definitely a major inspiration for this game. I've never been active on these forums, but I do now check this topic from time to time as there have been some excellent suggestions and bug reports here. Mono124's comments a few pages ago were particularly useful - all of those bugs were either fixed in last week's version or will be fixed in the next update.

At the moment I'm working on improving the medical system, improving the mouse controls and adding more detail to the world map. The much-requested and extremely useful active pause feature will also be in the next version. I'm open to suggestions for other additions people would like to see - whether it's a feature, a type of submarine, a country or whatever.

Great to hear from you - Thank you very much for your work, I've thoroughly enjoyed the game and it's given me tons of enjoyment. 
A few minor things I'd request:
- A prompt for quitting the game entirely and being able to use the escape key to exit out of screens (like the map screen) to get back to the main screen. This would seem more natural, as I still keep going to the escape button to get get out of screens I don't want to be on any longer.
- An initial time limit before anything can go wrong. A few games I've started up and a malfunction has instantly happened which has been a bit daunting. 
- A menu at the bottom( or anywhere) with clickable buttons to all the main screens/controls. Using hotkeys is fine, but I feel that most games benefit from having menus and I think it'd improve playability. This would also give you more screen room (as the hotkeys could just be hidden away) and would make it a lot easier on new players.

I realize the bottom one would mean a complete overhaul of the interface, and it'd be a lot of work, but I'd really recommend it as I think it'd open sub commander up to a whole lot of people. Even though I've put hours into it and enjoyed it a lot, I still find it tricky to work with, so I'd really encourage it if you have the time.

Thanks again for the wonderful game.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2014, 10:50:39 am »

Emergency air purification systems ( I think they have these cans of chemicals which react to form O2) would be nice.
Towed array sonar would also be nice.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2014, 11:00:47 am »

Not sure if it's you're looking for, but you can surface, go to the Misc. System control panel and press P to purge the air

The pause will certainly be very welcomed, as currently with Escape it's easy to double press the key and exit accidentally instead of pause.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2014, 11:11:58 am »

No, for if you are stuck underwater.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:32 pm »

The idea is that if your electrolysis system goes down and you're stuck underwater (but not crushed like a can), you could use a short term chemical reaction to fix oxygen to breath, while you fix the primary system/move away from danger.

Didn't TG add some rebreather equipment in the last patch?   Not the same, I know, but both represent a very similar mechanic, unless you meant a chemical generator for the whole submarine. 

After a little research, it looks like most subs have an array of oxygen 'candles' to release oxygen into the ventilation system, rather than carrying tons of individual rescue units.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:48:11 pm by Rez »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2014, 09:12:20 pm »

Yah, its the candles I was talking about.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:09 am »

Didn't TG add some rebreather equipment in the last patch?

Yep. Two of em in the equipment storage.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2014, 02:02:26 am »

Yeah, oxygen candles would be a good addition. Not quite sure how to implement them, maybe as an object in certain rooms like the bilge pumps, but I'll think about it. There would also be a small risk of fire or explosion associated with using them of course. The SCBA gear is more intended for an individual crewman going into a dangerous (low oxygen, irradiated or flooded) area.

By the way, I don't think anyone's mentioned it in this thread - the submarine development tools have been released, so you can make your own sub designs. There's a few limitations at the moment (to work properly the sub should have two reactors, four torpedo tubes, two turbines, one periscope etc) but it opens up a lot of cool possibilities. Download link is in the first post of the Subsim thread, and there's a comprehensive step by step guide in the .zip file.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2014, 06:37:37 am »

Having the oxygen candles as one of a series of in game customizations would be nice, I suppose. They have drawbacks and benefits.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2014, 07:01:55 am »

Lieutenant : Captain ! our electrolysis system is down , we should surface very fast to purge the air !
Captain : No need to worry, we still have oxygen candles, light them while we're going to surface.

Naval HQ :  Flashnews ! One of our sub is lost at sea following their nuclear engines explosion.
:D

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2014, 03:03:41 pm »

To the tools! Time to see how small I can make one with all the needed bits!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15