Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator  (Read 47318 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Sub Commander: Roguelike Submarine Simulator
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2014, 03:04:54 pm »

I think I will be able to get into this game much more once the pause feature is in.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2014, 03:25:07 pm »

Forsaken, anyone tell you how mesmerizing your avatar is?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2014, 03:26:45 pm »

Quite often. :P I didn't make it, but I do enjoy watching it.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2014, 06:56:11 pm »

Quite often. :P I didn't make it, but I do enjoy watching it.

Not to assist with the derail but I agree. I watched it through like 5 or 6 times for no reason once. Worse than hypnotoad. Made me want to write an auto snake program.

On topic it is cool to see the developers here. Can you add an alarm override? I know things are going to shit! Stop yelling at me computer!

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2014, 06:56:31 am »

Back on topic: I just had a fire inside a torpedo tube. It didn't last very long.

And my first crash!

I think there is something up with the map screen. It always slows the game to a crawl for me, and now I got "Illegal memory address!" error and crash.

Still a superb little gem this game.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2014, 08:49:02 am »

The map screen really pushes some computers to the limit for some reason. I'll look into further improving the performance there some time soon.

And thanks for pointing out the crash, do you remember exactly what was happening when the Illegal Memory Address crash occurred? Any info will help narrow down the cause!

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2014, 12:35:19 pm »

I looked through the file structure for a log, but only found the mission log. Last entry was incomplete, but I think it was a reactor fail.

I was at the map, just about to round cape horn.

Don't fret too much though. I've played a fair bit and it seems quite stable.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2014, 04:34:27 pm »

Oh, BTW, even with the sub viewer allowed it still gets the illegal memory thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2014, 04:47:47 pm »

Are there plans to make the combat a bit less arcade and more simulation ? Very important that.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2014, 05:55:15 pm »

I'd definitely like more tactical combat, but there's kinda only so much that can be done with submarines. They're basically just a torpedo delivery system and even if you were to have some sort of long range ballistics on them, it would work out pretty similar. I guess things like depth and targeting on boats could be a thing, but they might be a bit difficult to put in without a full 3d vision kinda thing and I can't see how much more tactical it could get.

(I would like it though - I honestly just can't think of good ways to pull it off).

For me, it's mainly about improving what there is now, possibly giving the crew more personality and more general simulation.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TheGeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2014, 03:45:43 am »

There are several improvements to the combat system coming soon. The next version includes a greatly improved sonar system, which allows you to track targets (and identify them from their sound signature) while completely submerged.

There will be three other main improvements to the combat system in other updates in the near future:
 - Most importantly, better damage models for AI ships, so they will no longer be taken out by a single torpedo.
 - Smarter and more realistic AI behaviour. Ships will travel in groups and radio each other with contact reports, request air support from carriers etc. The limitations of their sensors will be modelled more accurately.
 - Decoys and countermeasures, to help the player evade detection and avoid torpedos/anti-ship missiles.

I'm open to other ideas, but that's the plan at the moment.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2014, 06:06:40 am »

Have you thought about mines? I'm not sure if they're in and I've just never found any, but more coastal defenses would be good.

I'd also like some following/hunting missions, where you need to hunt down and follow/destroy an enemy submarine. This could be made tenser with radio signals telling you whether or not to attack or not.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2014, 12:58:31 pm »

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of manual targeting computer inputs and torpedo settings, plotting torpedo courses and estimating positions and all that sweet simulation stuff. On the other hand if we assume the crew does all the heavy lifting in terms of targeting then there at least should be more randomness to it, and more failure.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2014, 01:48:32 pm »

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of manual targeting computer inputs and torpedo settings, plotting torpedo courses and estimating positions and all that sweet simulation stuff. On the other hand if we assume the crew does all the heavy lifting in terms of targeting then there at least should be more randomness to it, and more failure.
I'd say leave the targeting abstracted personally, if this is supposed to be in the roguelike vein. In rogue, you just walk into things to attack them based upon your skill. The crew should roughly know what to do.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »

is there a getting started wiki?

after a diesel generator getting on fire, which killed al my engineering crew, and a fire in the torpedo tubes which I controlled without losses, I got flooded because I vented the sub, low on oxygen after all the fire, underwater.

I headed at reduced speed on the nearest port (I was halfway tough UK for a mission at 50N, 3W) and successfully refitted/repaired.

now I resumed my trip, and halfway trough the English channel I got notified of a contact. Nimrod MR1, UK. Tried to reach periscope depth to launch a torpedo, and I only got myself under fire.

no idea how to aim nor fire to a target. crash dived to sea floor then tried to escape. moving attracted some depth charged, and after a while, even if I thought I escaped, I noticed I got half my submarine ass flooded. at least diesel cannot get on fire now.

gg, interface. next round will be mine

so, I persisted. after much drownage, I managed to activate the pump and dry up my backside. I pressed forward, and found some small warship target after realizing how to activate the radar. I torpedoed one at random, and it was my target.

Spoiler: victory is mine (click to show/hide)

now I have another mission, but first, rearm and refuel. one nuclear reactor is leaking, the hull is a mess of cracks and there really are to much contact around here

more stuff:

what, now I have to go to BOMBAY??? *sigh*
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:49:24 pm by LoSboccacc »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15