Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The Republic: Tensions in Tarmavsol(Game thread)  (Read 9786 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic: Welcome to Tarmavsol (Game thread)
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2014, 09:18:40 am »

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2014, 09:57:51 am »

A raving lunatic has starting screaming 'PTW' outside of the Assembly building. No one is sure what this means, but some speculate that it means "Posting to watch." Truly, this man is insane.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »

"While I support the refugees getting jobs, why would we reduce their wages?"
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2014, 03:33:26 pm »

{{No peaking unless your the GM please!}}

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:43:32 pm by 3man75 »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2014, 03:39:12 pm »

[/spoiler][spoiler\]

EDIT: Jesus christ how do you do spoilers again?

((If you go to post, it's right under font size, and looks like a nuclear hazard warning sign, black-and-yellow.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »

[/spoiler][spoiler\]

EDIT: Jesus christ how do you do spoilers again?

((If you go to post, it's right under font size, and looks like a nuclear hazard warning sign, black-and-yellow.))

((Some of us can keep IC and OOC knowledge separate, and no one can resist the urge to look, not even Adol... I mean, Alfred Hill))

"The real question is why they should be paid at all? They come to us as beggars and we provide them with food and housing and work so they are not burdened by idleness. Tarmavsolians could be working in the mines, earning money you want to hand to these foreigners? The work we give them is a gift. When someone is given only food and housing it is like giving them a prison cell. We must provide them with work. And I agree, a modest salary. But the Tarmavsolian people are the ones who must pay that salary. Perhaps we shouldnt give them food and shelter yes? Make them work first? Is that what you want? To send these people into the desert? Why not send them north? To fight the bandits of the Northern Dominion?

These poor people will work, and they will be paid. And if they cannot work they will still be paid. We are going to give those who work in the mines more than just free food and free homes and a place in our nation. And those that cannot work? We will give them free food and free homes so that their children can do the same for others.

Perhaps it is Tarmavsolians you wish to deprive? When we give to these foreigners, it is really the people of Tarmavsol who give to them. Or perhaps you have forgotten whose pockets this assembly's budget comes from. Who will be building their houses and filling their stomachs.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:01:27 pm by thobal »
Signature goes here.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2014, 06:08:52 pm »

"Far be it from me to intrude but the process has started we all need to vote."

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:56 pm »

"These people are not beggars. They come to our borders to escape war, hunger, and plague. I'd hardly say they enjoyed being entitled after their families have been killed or held as slaves and their homes and possessions have been taken or burned to the ground. I don't quite comprehend your stream-of-conscious, but I know that these people deserve what Taramavsolians earn. As we expand our mines, we need extra work anyways, as our current workforce is stressed enough with making food, maintaining the power systems, keeping the economy working, and so forth. All I ask is that they get paid minimum wage, just a few nanocredits more for each of them. They may not be Taramavsolians, but they are still human beings who will work as hard as any of us. Is that so hard to ask for?

We must think about long-term consequences as well, for if those back in their homeland see that their people are being paid, as well as fed and protected, all to the standards of a Taramavsolian citizen, they'd be less hostile to our nation in the future."

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:12:47 pm by TCM »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2014, 10:26:26 am »

April 2123

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Tarmavsol's capital is undergoing a slow transformation. Under Assembly orders, shacks and other illegal constructions are removed, and old apartments are repaired. While there're clashes with the police, many people gladly accept that they're getting offered much better housing in the rural provinces. In both Western and Eastern Tarmavsol, large modern apartment complexes are build, to house both displaced city dwellers and refugees. Refugees gladly accept resettlement into these apartments, though the large influx of workers causes problems. As minimum wages for refugees have been reduced (with the intention of both expanding the industry and getting them to integrate themselves), they have increasingly started to crowd out legitimate Tarmavsolian citizens. Additionally, many refugees request full citizenship, overwhelming local administrations normally dealing with these issues, a problem that is unlikely to stop soon, as the crisis in the United Federation continues.

In the Capitol and Western Tarmavsol, tensions are also rising. The mistreatment of Ethnic Tarmavsolian citizens in the Northern Dominion has become a widespread issue. A diplomatic mission send to the Northern Dominion has been unsuccessful. Their plane has disappeared while flying over the wasteland, and weather and political conditions prevented a rescue operations. Somehow, the rumor has started that the plane was shot down by Dominion forces.

Meanwhile, a major setback has occurred at the Great University. One of the Experimental Microwave weather manipulation array's overloaded, short-circuiting nearby computers and destroying much of the work done that month. While the damage has been repaired, not much progress has made.

Work on the Devastator was however completed successfully. While the technology of the walker isn't any more advanced than our current designs, it's the materials that it's made of that make it so spectacularly resilient, and allowed the construction of such a powerful, yet compact reactor core. It's said core which has been giving us problems lately. The system is operated at half it's originally designated capacity, preventing us from activating it's weaponry to it's full extent. This is not that problematic, as it's primary weapon system have not been operational for over 2 years, lacking the high intensity magnetic coils and precisely manufactured shells.

Issues
Immigration
Mistreatment of Ethnic Tarmavsolian's
((I need to make a map soon))

Spoiler: Economic overview (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Question (click to show/hide)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic: Tensions in Tarmavsol(Game thread)
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 11:10:56 am »

"The immigration problem is problematic at best, however they should not be given full citizenship out of demands for it would make us look weak as top leadership and they will look like terrorist to those whose family have lived here for generations.

They should be given 4 ways to citizenship:

1. Armed Service for 2 years as a regular or 4 years as a conscript.
2. Residency for 2 years and applying to pass a National Citizenship test.
3. 5 years of residency.
4. Investing into the economy and proving that said investment or investments created 6 jobs.

Tarmavsol is a beautiful country but we must all work hard to give it that beauty or we risk losing all national progress."

"Secondly, i would like to propose a resolution for a ground rescue mission to find the plane immediately, weather and politics be damned. We cannot leave our people stranded with no nourishment, bandits, and army defectors too trigger happy."

"Finally, I am a graduate of the university which suffered destruction due to a "experimental microwave" incident". I feel we need to foot the bill for damages to get the university up and running as well as commissioning two laboratories for controlled experiments:

1. For the university and headed by the Dean.
2. For National purposes which is to be built in west Tarmasovl. It will be directed by the Military and leased to companies who pay for use.

The second one is my personal favorite because it allows all kinds of experiments to be held for companies such as the Mining corporations to research more efficient tools or any other corporations interest while keeping cost down for them. As well allowing the Military to test Core i hear about as well as any new weapons in an environment where no citizen can be hurt."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 11:57:30 am »

"To start us of, I would like to highlight the existing two problems we have: The mass of immigration, and the tensions with the dominion.

To focus on the dominion first, we all know what has to be done. To ensure such an operation is able to be completed smoothly, I put forward s proposal to boost the size of the military, another six units of infantry, backed up by new fighter wing. While likely to be expensive, we have to make sure the offensive succeeds and have the troops available to hold the area. Furthermore, I propose that attack as soon as the new units are ready, the less time the Dominion has to respond to our attack.

Now, on the issue of immigration, with the extra space available in the west the increase in demand is only temporary. There is only so many refugees after all. I would propose that we increased the amount of resources the local administration there has access to so that they can process the influx. Furthermore, in order to lessen any tensions, I propose repealing the reduced wages for the migrants. The only incentives the mining corporations need is the threat of military force being used if they don't, regardless of the request.

Now, onto De Toss' proposals, is that they are absurd. First of, while the university had a setback with one of their projects, the only major damage happened to the data they had collated recently. No other data was lost, nor were any personnel injured or otherwise harmed. Thus, the proposal is of rather limited use. And on the immigration proposal, the way it would work would be counter-productive to all our efforts. We cannot make mandatory military service viable, nor will we allow people to "buy" their way in as well. And to top it of, my family has lived in Tarmavsol and the immigrants do not look like terrorists to me.

Now, I would like a round of appreciation directed towards our builders. Clearing out the slums was no easy feat, but the effort has paid off. With the small urban centres now built within the regions, which I may add look absolutely splendid, we can afford to keep refurnishing the apartments here and building more in the provinces."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »

"those were 4 different ways they and new immigrants in the future can receive full citizenship."

"As for the university, we must make sure that future experiments cannot harm people, data storage, and other experiments. Hence the reason for controlled laboratories."

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:48 pm »

And how pray tell do you intend to pay all those proposals Gentlemen? We already worked at a minus in the last quarter and while i am aware that we have a good savings i think we should keep them saved for real emergencies.

Now. I refuse to accept a further enlargement of the Military at the moment except for Conscription of Immigrants wanting citizenship. We have neither the money nor the resources to equip any major Military Units.

Instead we should further expand our Mining Industry. Not only are we still not nearly producing enough Resources to satisfy your former Ambitions, Senator Schwarer but now you want to add even more projects leeching on our Resources.
In contrary to you, i have grown up as a simple Miner and i tell you what i learned from these hard early years: never spend what you do not have.

Thus i wish to put forward this Priority Motion, which should be acknowledged by the Assembly before we start any new ambitious Projects.

EDIT: REMOVED THE RICH GROUNDS ACT
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:03:08 pm by Ghazkull »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2014, 02:13:48 pm »

"My friend, you may find it easy to compare running a world power to running a household, but believe me, that comparison is not correct. Governments often have to spend money that don't have to break the economy out of a death spin, for example."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2014, 02:16:53 pm »

And how pray tell do you intend to pay all those proposals Gentlemen? We already worked at a minus in the last quarter and while i am aware that we have a good savings i think we should keep them saved for real emergencies.

Now. I refuse to accept a further enlargement of the Military at the moment except for Conscription of Immigrants wanting citizenship. We have neither the money nor the resources to equip any major Military Units.

Instead we should further expand our Mining Industry. Not only are we still not nearly producing enough Resources to satisfy your former Ambitions, Senator Schwarer but now you want to add even more projects leeching on our Resources.
In contrary to you, i have grown up as a simple Miner and i tell you what i learned from these hard early years: never spend what you do not have.

Thus i wish to put forward this Priority Motion, which should be acknowledged by the Assembly before we start any new ambitious Projects.

Spoiler:  Rich Ground Act (click to show/hide)

[/color]

"Chairman the devastator project is done, can someone by the way send for a copy of the findings? Also think about what we could do with this new power core Chairman? Why if we can mass produce these it could easily cut down on electricity bills all over the country. Oh but just to make it VERY clear, the project is DONE and needn't any resources. So all were doing is adding to our economic subsidiaries."

"Oh and someone please edit the spending report, it's quite dastardly bad to have errors like that."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:18:41 pm by 3man75 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8