Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152076 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Optimistic soviet space dreams are always quite awesome, then again many Russian authors, philosophers, artists etc from era had some great ideas about what was possible in a 'space utopia' but didn't believe at all that it was possible under what the Soviet actually was.
Lem is still one of my favorite authors.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Now I'm picturing people in soviet style steampunk space suits on the moon lined up against makeshift barricades made of soviet era spacejunk and fighting each other with molotov cocktails, medieval weapons and fireworks.....
Lunamaidan ......
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Faction leader cosmetics change depending on what route you take.

Roboslavs not amused by your shenanigens.

I'm assuming this is strong purity murrica who don't need no man.

Obligatory.

Also obligatory.

WAR NOW

Related funny comic.

Purity slav.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have not posted here yet to say how extremely excited for this I am.
I am extremely excited for this.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A tip, in case anyone feels like preordering the game.

Green Man Gaming, a fairly reputable site, is implicitly offering a 25% discount on Civilization Beyond Earth using the voucher code HEA34T-3L03RY-JLXOOR, which would lower the price to $37.50 USD, if that's the currency GMG has assigned to your geographical region. It's likely a limited time offer, possibly related to Gamescon.

A couple of considerations, however:
- At present, the offer doesn't seem to include the Exoplanets pack advertised for CivBE preorders. Although GMG offers have retroactively added preorder bonuses in the past.
- GMG usually sends the game keys on release, which means you don't get to preload before launch. It's a compromise given that due to the way the system works, they can only offer refunds before the keys have been sent: once they are, they aren't in control of the item anymore. Nevertheless, Civ5 was relatively small compared to contemporary AAA games, so I doubt download times will be unreasonable at all for CivBE.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

My main concern about this game is if my crummy computer can run it.

It can run Civ 5 and it's expansions at moderate graphics okay (Even if it is technically below the requirements for the expansion.), but seeing as Civ 5 came out in 2010 ...

Welp, I predict my return back into the world of lowest graphical settings possible!
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just hope it's a return to the glory days of the likes of Civ IV rather than the dumbed down experience that Civ V provided.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

A tip, in case anyone feels like preordering the game.

Green Man Gaming, a fairly reputable site, is implicitly offering a 25% discount on Civilization Beyond Earth using the voucher code HEA34T-3L03RY-JLXOOR, which would lower the price to $37.50 USD, if that's the currency GMG has assigned to your geographical region. It's likely a limited time offer, possibly related to Gamescon.

A couple of considerations, however:
- At present, the offer doesn't seem to include the Exoplanets pack advertised for CivBE preorders. Although GMG offers have retroactively added preorder bonuses in the past.
- GMG usually sends the game keys on release, which means you don't get to preload before launch. It's a compromise given that due to the way the system works, they can only offer refunds before the keys have been sent: once they are, they aren't in control of the item anymore. Nevertheless, Civ5 was relatively small compared to contemporary AAA games, so I doubt download times will be unreasonable at all for CivBE.
...welp, so much for not preordering.  Thanks. ^_^

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Related funny comic.

Was surprisingly disappointed it didn't end in a total annihilation reference.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Related funny comic.

Was surprisingly disappointed it didn't end in a total annihilation reference.

It did if you choose to read it that way!   :P  Red is obviously going to become the first Arm commander.

What began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machine escalated into a war which has decimated a million worlds. The Core and the Arm have all but exhausted the resources of a galaxy in their struggle for domination. Both sides now crippled beyond repair, the remnants of their armies continue to battle on ravaged planets, their hatred fuelled by over four thousand years of total war. This is a fight to the death. For each side, the only acceptable outcome is the complete elimination of the other.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just hope it's a return to the glory days of the likes of Civ IV rather than the dumbed down experience that Civ V provided.

Having been a dedicated Civilization player since the first one, I really don't see how Civ 5 is particularly dumbed down. Alright, so it took two expansions to make it the great game it is today, but Civ 4 had two expansions as well. To each their own, I guess, but if the whole 1-unit-per-hex and hexes instead of tiles is your problem, you're probably going to be disappointed in this one as well as it's based on the same groundwork, as far as I can know.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aside from corporations, which weren't much more than reskinned religions, I'm not sure what Civ4 had that Civ5 doesn't at this point.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Aside from corporations, which weren't much more than reskinned religions, I'm not sure what Civ4 had that Civ5 doesn't at this point.
Random events and forests/jungles that can spread.
I miss random events.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't forget selectable leaders (Something I am astonished they never brought back)... better modability I guess.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:38:09 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53