Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53

Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth - A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri by Firaxis  (Read 152037 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Isn't one of the ores called Firaxite?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was hoping/assuming that they were just placeholder names. If you're going to fellate yourself by adding references in-game, whether to individuals on the team or the studio itself, they should be more subtle than that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was hoping/assuming that they were just placeholder names. If you're going to fellate yourself by adding references in-game, whether to individuals on the team or the studio itself, they should be more subtle than that.

Subtle or out of the way.

I think naming one enemy the Firaxian actually is a pretty good reference. since it sounds like a real name.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Firaxians aren't any of the alien "animals", but rather the intelligent race you get in touch with when you achieve the Contact victory. I'm not sure if it's an official, in-game name, though.

As for other references, the lead designers' names at least are present in that of a couple independent stations, Fort Miller and some McDonough place.

Personally, I don't think it's such a big deal, nor a particularly rare practice in game development.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

The M&M players might remember the famous NWC office appearing in M&M6-8.
._.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Firaxis
Fir-axis
Fire Axis
An axis made of fire, their logo.
The Axis powers during WWII were the Germans, Italians and Japanese.
During the Sengoku period, Nobunaga were one of several lords who sought to unify Japan.
Oda Nobunaga is often vilified in modern Japan's Media (Manga, Anime's, etc.). Often depicted as Demon Lord Nobunaga.
Demons reign in Hell and hell is full of brimstone and fire.
There's fire in the first part of Firaxis.

Therefore, Firaxis are Japanese Nazi supporters.

Now it's only a matter of time, before someone out there on the internet believes this BS I have been spending several minutes on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally, I don't think it's such a big deal, nor a particularly rare practice in game development.

It isn't a big deal, I think people are just loudly groaning because of the lameness factor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Firaxis
Fir-axis
Fire Axis
An axis made of fire, their logo.
The Axis powers during WWII were the Germans, Italians and Japanese.
During the Sengoku period, Nobunaga were one of several lords who sought to unify Japan.
Oda Nobunaga is often vilified in modern Japan's Media (Manga, Anime's, etc.). Often depicted as Demon Lord Nobunaga.
Demons reign in Hell and hell is full of brimstone and fire.
There's fire in the first part of Firaxis.

Therefore, Firaxis are Japanese Nazi supporters.
Everything changed when the Firaxis attacked

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Soo, since it's been argued about so much, I figure it's OK to do this now: Vadim Kozlov of the Slavic Federation has been revealed on a Russian game site.  Google Translate, and the original.  Looks like an industrial and technical powerhouse, especially in space - the heritage of Gagarin lies behind Kozlov, so to speak, and in more practical game terms, it may be a faction that'll take advantage of the new space map overlay.  Makes sense, since another article already implied that the big two militant powers were Brasilia and the ARC, with the Slavs going unmentioned.  The "Red Book" sounds a bit like a history of what has been lost to the Big Whoops, so to speak. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:49:02 pm by Culise »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Quote from: Kozlov's address, translated by me
Dear citizens of the Slavic Federation! Brave pioneers of outer space! Hard working colonists, geneticists, engineers, cyberneticians!

The last year we spent at home is over. In a few months, we'll leave our planet and go on a search of happiness for other peoples of Earth. For many years we tortured our planet, robbed her, depleted the natural resources of both the surface and the underground. How many plants and animals have disappeared from the face of the Earth forever? The Red Book is bigger than all volumes of the Great Soviet Encyclopedia combined, and it is entirely our fault.

Remember, how many people died when the last drop of gasoline was consumed by a car engine in the Russian Federation. It was also the last straw for the peoples of Eurasia, who regained their senses and created an alliance, which was later called the Slavic Federation.  We have gone through a lot. Do you know at least one nation, who has experienced so many hardships? No! Who could survive three revolutions in one century? Who persevered through the flames of four World Wars? Who didn't go down with the rest of the world, when the sea level rose higher than stocks of fishing plants? Nobody but us, Slavs! Nobody.

We turn to the heritage of our Golden Age. The first satellite in orbit, the first man in space, the first extraterrestrial colony, the first flight beyond the Kuiper Belt. All our history is the eternal triumph of mind over stupidity, greed and anger. Ever since the first man timidly looked beyond our common cradle - since that time we was destined to move forward. And up!

A lot of difficulties await us. The planet, to which our expedition will be sent, is hardly even studied. What awaits us in our new home? It's not important! We are ready for anything. Our microbiologists shall vanquish the extraterrestrial viruses. Our ecologists will create marvellous colonies. Our astrophysics will subdue an alien planet and hand it over to mankind. And if other expeditions don't withstand the competition with the universe, we shall rescue them from death and give them shelter under a common roof.

However, the time of disputes has finally passed. We know the main strength of the Slavic Federation. Comparing to foreign counterparts, our space stations are a generation ahead, and our machines allow us to create incredibly precise equipment. But will we survive without the support of our planetary comrades? Will we forget our past without the historians of Franco-Iberia? Will we quail in the face of alien fauna without the hardened soldiers of Buenos Aires? Will we get bogged down in sin with the spiritual guidance of the Kavitian Protectorate? No, we will have to work together for the betterment of whole mankind.

The Slavic Federation looks like something out of optimistic Soviet science fiction books, and that is very good and pretty much unexpected.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:13:58 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Space slavs

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obviously, Poland could into space.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obviously, Poland could into space.

Oh, they better work this into an achievement name.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

If Kerbals can into space, so why not Poland?

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I expected Kozlov to have a beard.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53