Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Roll to Derp [Minimalist Fantasy]  (Read 6910 times)

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Derp [Minimalist Fantasy]
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 09:00:31 pm »

Name: Flamberg
Race: Tsukumogami (Sword) (Pretty much a magical sword old enough to be sentient)
Class: Historian
Skills [3]: Swording Things (... Its a sword), Magical Projection (For a body), Fire Magic (Its a MAGICAL sword)
Flavor Bio (Optional): An ancient sword that has been used by many great heroes and villains in the past. Has picked up a passion for history over the ages.

Let's see how badly the dice mangle this!
Edit: Changed a skill
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 10:01:57 pm by Emral282 »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 09:17:43 pm »

((I'm going to laugh if the dice turn you into an axe.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »

If I get turned into an axe (that is named Flamberg) at least I know I have access to a competent wielder (that may or may not become doomed by my actions) :D

ShadowDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 10:05:17 pm »

Name: Ansel's law
Race: Mathematical formula
Class: Seer
Skills [3]: Telekinesis, Summoning, Precognition
Flavor Bio (Optional): A formula describing the expansion of planes, which has gained sapience.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 11:38:53 pm »

"Rawflg," Klint Bloodmurderer intones calmly at the guards. Just another manic Monday morning.

Walk away. If somebody charges me, commence deadly defensive flailing with obscenely muscular arms.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 07:49:30 am »

Name: Cheesecake
Race: Cheesecake
Class: Bloodthirster
Skills [3]: Summoning, Blood Magic, Screaming
Flavor Bio (Optional): A cheesecake warlock who screams. Yes.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 09:40:18 am »

So, like I said. How does magic work here, anyway?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 10:18:15 am »

((Proper update coming Real Soon Now (tm). The chargen stuff takes lots of die rolls and fluff. :P))

So, like I said. How does magic work here, anyway?

That is something I don't quite have proper rules for (yet). Being minimalist and all, I'm sort of making it up as I go along. :D I will say this though, there is no MP to worry about. I want physical vs. magical skills to be a matter of flavor and not give either a clear advantage/disadvantage. Managing MP kinda sucks anyways.

I have a very simple idea for how I want to handle die rolls with skills... essentially, here's what I plan to do.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Hope that isn't too confusing. I'll also allow you to spend an Awesome Point to reroll one of your traits. You can specify it as a different value or leave it the same. You'll take whatever the die gives you, so it's a bit of a gamble and can actually make you worse at something, but it's an option.

((A: Thus far you are a fantastic GM :)  B: Is there a way to earn Awesome Points besides being screwed over at chargen?))

Aw, thanks! I didn't expect praise after turn 1. Or at all, really. *is insecure*
I will hand points out at random for particularly amusing things. I don't want them to be too scarce because I want you guys to have fun rerolling your character for different situations. I think it's more interesting that way. So, don't get too attached to the headcanon for your character. :P

EDIT: Forgot to add you can use your action to help/hinder others, even if your character is totally separated from theirs, in normal RTD fashion. Also, with (6) modifiers being able to push actions up to a mythical 7... what happens? How do most RTDs deal with that? XD
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:40:25 am by Singularity125 »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 11:52:38 am »

Sevens tend to be either even more ridiculous overshots, over overshots with no downside, and then the cycle continues back and forth for 8 and so on. Its your game though.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 12:42:58 pm »

Spoiler: flabort chargen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chink chargen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Emral282 chargen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ShadowDragon chargen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cheesecake chargen (click to show/hide)

((No skill modifiers in this round since it's a new rule, and nobody got to specify/justify choices. I'll start next round))

Hmm, so how in the nine circles of Hell do I get out of here? I wonder if I could get a better look of my surroundings?
Get off bed. Explore surroundings.

(4) You look out the window and see that there's a guarded garden there. You're on the second floor, so it's too far to jump. Besides the four-poster bed you were on and some dressers, there's not much else in here. The door is closed, and unfortunately you can't quite reach the handle.

Wow, the guy who set out making a graceful elven swordmaster ended up with a better barbarian than the guy who chose to make a barbarian :P
Ask the man what happened.

(5)"What happened?" the man says. "A hell of a party, that's what happened. My son came of age to drink and begged me to hire you. I can't say as I'm disappointed. Everyone had a great time. Shame about the mess, but we didn't hire you to clean. No worries. Before I forget, here's your pay."

You receive 100 gold coins!

Check what food supplies they have.

(2) This is a big, unfamiliar estate, and you quickly get lost trying to find your way down to the kitchen... you end up turned around in a hallway with 3 doors on each side. It looks like the woman from last night is coming up the stairs... perhaps you could ask her?

((I was trying to make a graceful human swordmaster, but this turned out better than I could have imagined. Other than being an elf. Maybe I should change my name to Cacame.))

Stand up and grab Skullsmasher, then take a look at my surroundings.
((You are welcome to use an Awesome Point to change your race, but I quite like the manly-man elf. :P Your call though))

(5) You easily heft Skullsmasher over your left shoulder, where it rests. You used to have a strap for it on your back but it appears the gang from last night stripped you of it. You look around the clearing and your elven senses pick up the tracks, heading southeasterly from here. You bet you can follow them back to the inn you were at, or at least a nearby town. Maybe someone there knows what happened to your stuff.

"Rawflg," Klint Bloodmurderer intones calmly at the guards. Just another manic Monday morning.

Walk away. If somebody charges me, commence deadly defensive flailing with obscenely muscular arms.
(6) The guards stare at you, unable to comprehend what you just said. (It means "Bastards" in your native tongue). As you turn to leave, one of the foolhardy guards approaches you, blade drawn. You instinctively backhand him and he goes flying through the rest of the guards behind them, then into a burnt wreck of a building, smashing through a wall. The impact causes the remnants of the building to collapse with a loud crash. One of the few guards still conscious pulls out a crystal and holds it to his face. In a wavering voice, he says "We need backup. Send in the wyvern riders." Uh oh. Those guys are the best of the best. You must have left quite an impression. It won't take long for them to get here. You'd better run.

((Whew. I hate to put a moratorium on new players, but I may have to for a little bit. The chargen especially just takes so much time. Maybe if I actually made it minimalist like I was supposed to... :P))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:04:56 pm by Singularity125 »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:02 pm »

Check what's in the dressers and under the bed.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 12:58:16 pm »

"Grumphlmkrb."

Strut off nonchalantly. If wyvern riders appear or anybody attacks, commence deadly defensive flailing with obscenely muscular arms. Search for wild boars otherwise.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 01:06:12 pm »

Can you guys edit your actions and point out which two stats you want to use as modifiers? Creative justification will get you anywhere... even if it's a mundane task I'll allow the modifier if it's amusing enough :P

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 01:11:11 pm »

Check what's in the dressers and under the bed using my magical telekinetic powers..
Therefore, I'm using my Wandless magic skill.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 01:12:13 pm »

((I'm fairly certain it's clear which stat I want to use, no?))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5