Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Arrowflight: Island Nations - OOC Thread  (Read 21514 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Arrowflight: Island Nations - OOC Thread
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2014, 07:02:34 am »

(From IC): Interesting note - there is nothing in rulebook that prevents full-out Dragon throw (Shal'ekkhar) dodge. Compare it to any other Combat skill giving you dodge.
If it could be used as a full dodge, I think it would tell you. Dragon Throw is meant to be a single reaction against an attack, and you only throw them on a successful dodge. Also, a full dodge means that you make a single dodge roll and apply it to every attack until your next turn. It also means that you can do nothing else during your turn, moving included.

I noticed that movement doesn't seem to be listed as an action in the combat section. Does that mean that such things are abstracted out? How do you determine how close or far away one is from an opponent (important for such things as using ranged weapons, considering your hit chances seem to go up as you get closer).
Yes, movement is meant to be abstracted out, since unlike, say D&D, the game isn't meant to be played on a grid. You can move and attack in a single turn, but you have to move first, so there's no hit and run tactics. If you want to know how far away you are from a certain enemy, all you have to do is ask. I may just make an abstract little map for the start of each combat, so that everyone knows where they are in relation to everything else.

Spoiler: Combats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:24:43 am by AlleeCat »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2014, 07:20:50 am »

Thanks for clarification, will change now my action accordingly. Sorry for regularly spamming you with such questions.

Edit: It seems that I subconsciously try to test system durability... Still, it has some problems with unclear rules and such, and needs more polishing in general. There was also critique from LeoLeonardo about shortage of examples, falling damage and such.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 07:48:34 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2014, 08:18:52 am »

I assume that there are limits to how far you can move in a single round. Otherwise people who exclusively use ranged weapons are going to have a bad time, since even slow, lumbering enemies surrounded by melee attackers will be able to get close and attack.

I didn't notice, but are there cover mechanics? Say, someone shoots at me and I previously mentioned that I was crouching behind a box. Would the shooter have a reduced chance to hit?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2014, 11:51:44 am »

I didn't notice, but are there cover mechanics? Say, someone shoots at me and I previously mentioned that I was crouching behind a box. Would the shooter have a reduced chance to hit?
It's usually up to the GM to decide modifiers like that. Common sense would dictate that, yes, you would get a penalty for trying to hit a target behind cover, just as you would a moving target.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2014, 08:26:09 pm »

First, attempt to get behind someone with better armor. Equip cutlass in other hand, holster Reason, prepare to parry!
Holstering/sheathing a weapon technically doesn't count as an action, so you could probably attack as well.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »

I thought you said that we couldn't attack and then run. I'm primarily trying to run away at the moment because getting surrounded by five ghouls does not seem like a smart idea.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2014, 08:58:46 pm »

Well you aren't attacking then running. You're running then attacking. There's a difference. Plus, only two of them are attacking you. The others are preoccupied with trying to munch on your other comrades.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2014, 09:02:58 pm »

Does switching my knife from left to right hand require an action?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2014, 09:29:20 pm »

Nah. Only if you were equipping it. Switching hands is free.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2014, 09:32:14 pm »

Well, alright. Guess I'll change my action.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2014, 10:04:17 am »

We didn't get initial 2D6x100. Instead, we were free to choose two weapons and other useful equipment. I don't see anything off with a two stacks of throwing weapons instead.

I think we can upgrade system a bit. You suffer full penalties for your best armor, if you have more than four pieces of armor. So, you can have metal breastplate and helm with no problem, but must leave everything else open. Quite realistic in my mind.
Ah.  So many things I need to redo...I think I'll just set it aside and drop out.  I didn't get to work on it at all for the weekend, anyways, so it probably won't be any great loss. ^_^

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:24 am »

Tomorrow until Thursday I'm going to be away.
I have no objections to my character wondering mutely along behind everyone, and acting vaguely sanely in combat, so I'll leave the rest down to you - my vague plan for the rest of this combat was to charge the 'leader' and try and take that down asap, assuming no one else beat me to it.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15:31 am »

Do creatures that spit fire make better rappers?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2014, 11:21:50 am »

I swear that my character sheet is almost finished, honestly! Just had a lot of more importanter stuff to do over the weekend. So... I'll be submitting it soon then.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2014, 07:11:34 pm »

This is pretty fun so far! I wonder what will happen when we get into a non-combat situation, or face better foes.

I assume we can post new actions now, or are we still waiting on someone?

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24