Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146852 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Lusuria, The City of Civilized Monsters
« Reply #990 on: June 23, 2018, 03:54:21 pm »

Ah, okay. Weird, but at least it got figured out quick.

Well, making it less common will still help a lot. It was getting painfully common. I can try other browsers if it might help.

Edit: Does jumping cancel skills or something? In the 3rd Shadowmage phase (shadowmageabstract), I made it jump to a random location on damage receive, but it keeps canceling the line skills when that happens, and I'd prefer that doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:18:47 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #991 on: June 23, 2018, 05:08:18 pm »

Yes, this was the solution to the "rolling into a cutscene" bug - movement commands (jumping and walking) cancel techniques, unless they come from an event inside the technique itself.  This is mainly because techniques are generally supposed to be predictable and fixed, so movements that are not "choreographed" within the technique (for example, cutscenes and item-based movements that originate from other objects) are very prone to causing unexpected behavior.

You can get around this by setting _x and _y directly instead of using a jump event, but I'd advise against making it a habit for the above reasons.  Techniques that are more loosely "choreographed" can work through the update function anyway, with the technique itself just being a one-frame trigger.

Maybe I'll make an option to specifically not cancel techniques, for circumstances where it is planned out like this.

For the line skills, wouldn't it be simpler if the line warning object just changed into the real line by itself?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: June 23, 2018, 05:13:35 pm »

Ah, okay. Somehow, making the lines transform on their own completely jumped my mind.

Edit: Yup, that fixed it.

Still not sure what is wrong with Sorceryflames, but apparently, it is spending too much time in loops (I switched it to wait 0 frames, and got the too long in loop message). So I guess it isn't finding something to teleport to fast enough? Not sure why it isn't.

Ugh, I think my old dungeon room design worked better. I guess I'll need to keep trying at it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 05:38:56 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: June 23, 2018, 10:52:19 pm »

"Too much time in loop" will only fire if a loop freezes the game entirely for 1 second (adding a wait event prevents this, not causes it).  Computers are fast, so this generally only happens due to an infinite loop.  I'll check it over later.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 23, 2018, 10:54:34 pm »

Oops. I meant that I removed the wait, then it broke. I’m trying to figure out why it is taking so many loops to find a legal target to warp to.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 24, 2018, 02:55:35 am »

Found the issue with Sorceryflames. Because I forgot to set ok2 to 0 after part two failed, if the random location passed the on the map test, it wouldn't generate a new set of numbers, even if it failed the second test (which it would then get stuck in). Because of this, it wouldn't ever move farther. Now it works. Just fixed the packaged version. I also uploaded the forecasting version of pyreskulls (which has an explosion before it activates, thus warning you), although I am thinking about nerfing the pyreskull flame's slow effect, which makes dodging very difficult, which can make the player very, very dead, rather unfairly.

I had made some of these fixes before (like the pyreskull explosion one), but I guess that must have been on the world-only copy rather than on the packaged copy. Annoying, but a good lesson to upload that kind of stuff immediately I suppose. Think I have most of the enemy issues fixed, so I guess back to room building (ugh, I wish I still had the old layouts for those. Some of those really turned out better the first time. I suppose I used up the idea already. I guess I'll need to just keep working at it.

For some reason, I can't stop thinking about what a hard mode version of Shadowmage. In the first two phases, they'd occasionally make clones with low life (but light instead of dark. Not a confusing trick with identicals). In the third, two full fledged boss level enemies would appear (but the rate of laser attacks would remain unchanged. It would be handled by a third, invisible enemy), and fireball shooting minions would be summoned. Lastly, a fourth phase would be added in which a modified version of each phase would attack at once (modified to prevent the lasers from becoming totally overwhelming), but with a shared life total. Hopefully now that I wrote that down I can stop thinking about it.

Edit: I think I might rename Shadowmage to Umbra. It’s shorter and it sounds more natural.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:27:25 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: June 24, 2018, 04:27:17 am »

Yeah, I do think the slow effect on the fireballs is a bit much.  Maybe constant damage and halved attack power?  Also, did you make it a proper status effect, or are you still using the old workaround?

I've noticed you tend to keep both a packaged and local copy of the same enemies.  That's usually unnecessary - as above with the reversing fireballs, there's almost always a better solution than making multiple copies of very similar objects (the exception being when they have different graphics - and even that can be worked around with the frame shift parameters).  If you work with the packaged objects directly, they upload automatically when you publish, so it makes maintaining them easier.  What are you using the extra copies for?

Umbra sounds cool.  Maybe "Shadow Mage" could be the boss subtitle.  I should publish the boss subtitle object.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: June 24, 2018, 10:12:19 am »

Constant damage and halved attack sounds good. I’m still using the old workaround because I never changed it and it came from before proper status effects.

My local copies (when done) will also have some extra variables that count the number of enemies defeated for things like making sure all enemies were defeated.

I’ll change it then. Shadow Mage would make a nice subtitle. And yeah, packaging the boss subtitle object would be nice. I’d guess I could recreate it with background  opacity 0 mid-centered textbox with white text and a size change (don’t know if that is how you did that. I just figure that would look about the same), but that would be a pain.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: June 24, 2018, 11:28:13 am »

Hmm, I can't figure out a clean way of packaging the boss subtitle in a way that would allow it to be easily used, so I'll just post a copy of the text (same as used with Harlequin Epicycle).  It's just a regular Display Text event, aligned to the center of the room.

Code: [Select]
[b][align=center][size=36][speed=0.1]Boss Name[/speed][/][speed=0.02]
[/speed][speed=0]Boss Subtitle[/][/][/]

As for checking if all enemies were defeated, you can do something like this:

Code: [Select]
Set hasenemy = 0
Each _room._sprites
    If #._team = 2
        Set hasenemy = 1
    End
End
If hasenemy = 0
    (do stuff)
End

EDIT: Some other things -
The update_after function runs after damage is taken during a frame, but before calculating the damage numbers to be shown and whether or not the sprite should die, so you can adjust HP there to change the actual damage taken.  It's ideal for making enemies that respond to damage in unusual ways, like the golems.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: June 24, 2018, 11:46:41 am »

I guess I guessed right. Thanks. It looks nice when used.

... that didn’t occur to me at all. Oops. Well, guess I’ll just use the packaged instead.

Edit: All changes that I had to make for the packaged monsters (pyreskull, most visibly (and they use actual status effects now too), although also the sorcery flames and golems also had bugs fixed) are uploaded. I'll use _update_after later, but in the Golem case, their healthbars shouldn't be visible anyways, I just apparently never changed that for... some reason? So it shouldn't matter too much in their case.

Edit: A note on the basic attack: Enemies who are walking backwards will easily dodge it because it aims for the edge. Probably not all that great for most situations, since it makes enemies who don't like to be near to the player and have a vaguely okay speed very hard to hit.

Also, I think I might nerf golem stones a bit. I think I am going to make the second tier of golem stone carry over the damage from the first (even though they will still gain some bonus life). This is because, in testing, the golem seems to be a bit more dangerous than I really intended.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:43:40 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:16 am »

Actually, if you use transformations damage is automatically carried over (the percentage of health lost remains the same).  I'm not sure if you're doing that for the golem stones, I noticed sometimes you like to create a new sprite and destroy the old instead of using the transformation event.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 25, 2018, 12:15:17 pm »

Huh. Never even knew that. I’ve always used create and destroy for... some reason? Not sure. It makes sense when I want to full heal, but I don’t know why I didn’t use it elsewhere.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: June 25, 2018, 12:40:02 pm »

Yeah, transformations keep a number of properties, like position, team, and HP/MP/TP percentage.  The exception is when they occur in a death event, which causes them to regain full HP.  Basically the point is to work more or less as someone would expect.

I've made a few fixes to inventory memory (inventory was randomly not loading sometimes) and also added cookie-based autologin, finally.  Still perfecting the movement-in-item-cutscene system.

Hmm, it might be nice to make a better solution for repetitive loops inside a technique.  Right now the standard workaround is to put loop-based functions in the update function or create a separate function for the technique to call, even when they should be regarded as part of a technique.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: June 25, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »

Good to know. Thanks. I knew they kept position and team, but I didn’t know about the resource percentages. Makes sense though.

Inventory fix is good. Also, auto login is very appreciated. Thanks.

I guess that would be nice. I’ve gotten so used to just using functions that I never even considered it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: June 25, 2018, 10:23:16 pm »

Is there a way to change the opacity of a tilemap (mid game, not during editing) with variables? This would save me from having to set tilechangers 168 times (instead it would just be 58).

Also would be useful if you could... deactivate a tilemap, I suppose, and make both it's appearance and its tiles skip. This would mean I would have to set 0 tilechangers, which would be nice for this, and it also seems like something that would be useful in a lot of situations.

Edit: Is there a way to make flash effects using the flash effect function stay at peak strength? I want to use one to darken (and later undarken, but only after a boss) a room, but I want the room to stay dark (until that is undone). Since _flashlevel is no longer in use, I am not aware of how this is doable.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:47:49 pm by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 90