Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146839 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Lusuria, The City of Civilized Monsters
« Reply #1005 on: June 25, 2018, 11:09:06 pm »

Flash effects on a loop will remain, and if they are bound to an object they will be destroyed when that object is destroyed.  Alternatively, you can set a flash effect to a variable, and then adjust its _r, _g, _b, and _a values directly.

The tilemap suggestions seem reasonable.  I'll add those.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 25, 2018, 11:13:05 pm »

Okay. The variable method might work for what I need, so I’ll try that.

Okay. Thanks.
Edit: Now clearly I just have to make an entire dungeon on one floor with way too many tilesets (not really, although that would be interesting).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:15:22 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 26, 2018, 12:46:27 am »

Rather bad glitch: If you use the Go To command in a function in a flowchart, using the select gate menu button in the Go To command menu will only open the gate selector if you go back to the flowchart (or at least it won't be visible). If you click the select gate button more than once, you'll be unable to get rid of the menu, preventing you from interacting with anything, including the save button.

Edit: Could you make the player sprite accessible for use in things? I'd like to use them for a bit in the Umbra fight (or rather the cutscene after).

Also, the preliminary outlines for the first two dungeon rooms (might edit them) and the Umbra bossfight is down. The second dungeon room requires some more work (once the tileset things are in), as does the dialogue for Umbra (which is waiting on the above comment), but this is starting to move along. Might be behind a few days beyond my target, but I have had to deal with a fair number of glitches, so it evens out I suppose. Not sure how long remaking Spids's boss mode will take, but it hopefully shouldn't be too bad, since I know most of the skills and pitfalls I'll be dealing with.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 01:47:07 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 26, 2018, 04:16:19 am »

I don't want to make the player graphics public, since I might adjust their arrangement later.  However, it is possible to copy the player's class entirely onto a different object and then adjust its properties, depending on what you want to do with it (the packaged Doppelganger uses this).  I might also come up with a method of copying an object's graphics and animations without its properties.  What are you trying to make?

I'll fix up the other bugs as soon as I can.

Edit: Go To issue is fixed.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 26, 2018, 12:35:36 pm »

Okay. Makes sense. Actually, on further thought, I don’t think my original plan for this will work for Umbra’s character, so it doesn’t really matter. I was thinking about having Umbra hide inside the player’s shadow and only leave once you had won, but that doesn’t really fit with the route I’m going for for Umbra. Sorry for the pointless question.

Okay. Thanks.

Good. The Go To issue was pretty irritating. Hope fixing it wasn’t too bad.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 26, 2018, 03:13:39 pm »

Hmm, that shadow thing gives me an idea... several ideas, actually.

Anyway, I added some new properties to tilemaps - you can now adjust their _opacity, _visible, and _enabled properties.  (Disabling also makes them invisible.  I guess I can give them another option to make them non-colliding but visible, though I don't think that would generally be necessary).  You can select a tilemap in _layer._tilemaps (not _layer._tilesets; that refers to the source of the image, while tilemaps are the actual tiles themselves.  A bit confusing, I suppose.)

I also made a thing where you can select an individual object in an array by using their ID.  For example, {_layer._tilemaps.tilemapname._enabled = 0}.  This also works with sprites, and any other array of objects, so you don't need to set a global variable anymore or loop through the entire list to target an individual sprite (provided there is only one sprite of that class in the room); you can just use {_room._sprites.spritename}.  If multiple objects have the same ID, only the first is chosen.  This is usually not allowed in programming languages, but I figured it would be convenient.

EDIT: It seems that tilemaps don't work very well with colorization; very high amounts of slowdown occur.  I'll have to fix that up.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 26, 2018, 03:25:03 pm »

Well, at least something good came of it then.

Great! Now I should be able to finish up Droom2. Thanks.

Cool. That should come in handy.

Edit: These crashes are torment. I had just finished adding in the bunch of set tile commands I needed to make the walls work, went to test them, and then crash.
Oh, but there is an issue with your suggestion for checking for enemies with _room._sprites rather than counting up variables (quoted below, since you might not know to what I refer). To prevent lag, all of the enemies have active ranges, and, if they are outside them, the counter will ignore them since they aren't actually loaded. I suspect I will just have to use variables that increase with enemy deaths and either add that to the package or just use non-package copies. C'est la vie, I suppose (shame the suggestion wouldn't work. It was a good suggestion, but with a room over 1700 in x and 1300 in y, I'll have no luck with it).
As for checking if all enemies were defeated, you can do something like this:
Code: [Select]
Set hasenemy = 0
Each _room._sprites
    If #._team = 2
        Set hasenemy = 1
    End
End
If hasenemy = 0
    (do stuff)
End

Edit: Just realized that I no longer have the Spids's Guard monster because I never included it with the package. Guess I'll have to make another enemy for the dungeon. Might do it differently this time though, as I feel like Spids's Guard was pretty so-so.

Beyond that, outline for Droom3 is done, so the room shouldn't take long once I make the new enemy, but making a new enemy takes an inconsistent amount of time, so that might set me back.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:11:35 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 27, 2018, 05:50:22 am »

That's odd...I'm pretty sure even disabled enemies should be a part of the sprites array.  Going to have to check that again.

Edit: Looks to be the case.  Are you sure you're not confusing the sprites called "inactive" (the inactive puzzle tiles) with actual disabled sprites?

Actually, it seems the issue in the second room is something more complicated.  I'm going to see if I can figure it out.

Edit2: Okay, I figured it out - you put _x instead of #._x, and also hasenemyl twice.  The issue was hard to check properly because _room variables weren't resetting when opening the world builder in the same room, making testing objects that used room variables problematic.  So I've fixed that.

As for the crashes, I can try uploading the PC app for download on the site.  The only issue is, there's no auto-update feature so you'd have to download it after every update for it to work properly.  I'll see about how to make an automatic update feature.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 27, 2018, 12:06:05 pm »

Oops. Sorry. Thank you.

On the crashes and PC app: that would be greatly appreciated, even if I had to keep downloading. Crashes have made progressing a bit of a pain.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 27, 2018, 01:05:03 pm »

I've added the app to the About page, which you can get to by clicking on the Tutorial button.  I kind of cheated though - it doesn't actually contain the script in it, instead it downloads it from the site when you start up the app.  So hopefully it should not need to be re-downloaded most of the time.

I haven't seen any crashes using it - my understanding is that the crashes are simply what happens when Chrome runs out of memory.  But save regularly anyway, because I'm not 100% sure.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 27, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »

Okay. Great.

Okay. I save pretty frequently, but I’ll tell you if I get any crashes anyways.

Edit: I searched the About page and couldn't find the app. Am I just missing the obvious (in which case where is it?) or is it not currently present?

Edit: You can cross a 5 length 5 height gap like the one after the pillar in Droom3 if you start at the top and roll (kind of like the rolling thing back in Treasure Dungeon). Is this intentional? If it is, I'll make some edits, but I didn't think it was intentional, so...
Edit: Actually, it only seems possible to cross the pillar bit from the opposite side. Odd.

Edit: Uh, are angles measured in radians? I thought that got changed to degrees, but I checked, and it seems to be radians. Degrees are a bit more accessible, so that might make more sense, but it isn't too bad either way.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:53:07 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 28, 2018, 01:01:13 am »

You download the app by clicking on the Download App tab, at the top.

It's best if you only add drop tiles at points where you are expected to drop down or jump up, or as entries to sidescrolling areas, and block off everything else.  Drop tiles mixed with floor tiles still have a number of issues.  You aren't supposed to be able to move off a ledge to the side, except in sidescrolling mode.

Angles are supposed to be measured in degrees, but it's possible that some variables aren't working right (internally the code uses radians, but it's supposed to convert to and from degrees whenever a variable is modified).  Where are you seeing radians?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:36 am »

Guess I just missed the obvious. Oops.

Fair enough. Problem to note, in that case. You can move between top-down and drop tiles if you are on the top of the top tile.

The ShockerSpider (in the unnamed room (room17 or something like that)) has a skill that shoots projectiles at an angle, and it was working in radians a few minutes ago. I tested it with multiples of 60, and when that wasn’t the right angle, I tested it with radian numbers and it worked as I would expect radians to do (except I forgot to double it. Oops).

Edit: Okay, I looked twice (and even used Ctrl-F) for this download tab, and I have had no luck at all. The only tabs I see at the top are Home, About, and Tutorial, and under them, all I see is text (excepting tutorial, which has some tutorials, none of which are download related). Any clue on why I could be not seeing this?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:35:12 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:51 am »

...odd.  Maybe try Shift+F5?

Anyway, I made a link for the download on the front post here.

I'll check out the radians issue.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 28, 2018, 03:05:56 am »

I opened a fresh version of the page, pressed Shift-F5, and suddenly it appeared, even though I had just opened it normally and it wasn't there before. Well, I guess all's well that ends well.

Thanks, although I guess since the first suggestion worked, I don't really need it. Should still come in handy for others, since it is in a bit more obvious of a place now.

Thanks.

Edit: What font does BoundWorlds normally use/how can I change the font the downloadable version uses? It is using a different font than the online version (I guess maybe I don't have the in-use font on my laptop), and I prefer the standard font to the less readable version my laptop is using?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:17:19 am by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 90