Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211105 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #870 on: February 28, 2017, 03:29:08 am »

As for weapons, I do tend to make a theme around the company, like half axe berserkers or a company completly full of witch hunters, full-shield-wall...

I think they need a light weapon skill, refering to (low tier) throwing weapons and daggers that allows them to be switched without cost from the get-go. Any attempt at a company that engages with throwing weapons and switches to melee later was pretty pointless.

And as for weapons - littarly always pick the highest damage weapon you can get with 3-4 Shield dudes and you are fine. Unarmored Enemys are destroyed quickly and amored take plenty of damage anyway - sure you could say that your hammer with 20 less damage, but 100% more effectiveness is better - but only until the armor is broken, then it is worse again. Even against Orc Warriors, which is imo the most heavly armored natural-non-boss-enemy you face on the regular it takes only one more swing with a 2h-axe then it takes with a 2h-hammer.

So, sadly: Raw Damage > Other Attributes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 28, 2017, 04:54:35 am »

Oddly enough it is like the game doesn't want you to switch, because you will always have to switch it back to normal next fight... (And it doesn't even have the decentcy to preload your crossbow :P)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 28, 2017, 06:42:47 am »

So why are expensive people you hire bad so often?
That looks rhetorical...
-bitch-
-bitch-
-whine-
-bitch-
... Yep.

This one I can answer though.
Also I am really surprised there is no legit archer. Only poachers and hunters.
Sellswords are both.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:44:38 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 28, 2017, 06:59:19 am »

That looks rhetorical...
-bitch-
-bitch-
-whine-
-bitch-
... Yep.

That would be a nope. I just looked it up continuously.

Also sorry I don't make out with Battle Brothers and make babies with it :P

I mean if you want me to just continuously shower praises onto it I can.

But do you want me to just shower it with praises?...

-Why doesn't Neonivek LOVE my game blindly without an ounce of thought?-
-Just praise it!-
-You can only love a game blindly or hate it!-
-I am clearly saying these things, this is exactly what I "Tack" am saying in this quote-

Ahh yes! Rightio!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:04:52 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 28, 2017, 07:05:39 am »

Sorry I don't make out with Battle Brothers and make babies with it
I mean if you want me to just continuously shower praises onto it I can.
I have not yet seen you give A praise to A game. Let alone 'shower' anything.
Stop being a negative Nelly you silly Susan. It's only fun when the critics do it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:13:33 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 28, 2017, 07:07:48 am »

I have not yet seen you give A praise to A game. Let alone 'shower' anything.
Stop being a negative Nelly you silly Susan. It's only fun when the critics do it.

I am not your circus monkey :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:18 am »

In eight years of being registered to this forum, I think I've seen you make positive comments about a game twice.

You tend to come across a bit like a vegetarian who for some reason keeps trying to review steaks.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 28, 2017, 07:11:23 am »

I do actually like the concept though. Roman soldiers with their tight formations on dead bodies.

No I make compliments a lot more often then you think. Just for some reason even when I am having a particularly good week and giving out compliments, people won't notice.

Mostly because compliments are a dime a dozen. You expect glowing praise and actually think absolutely nothing about it, a game that gets praise is meaningless. (7/10)

Yet a negative comment? WHOA!!! Suddenly the game is under attack! That person must HATE the game, they must want to DESTROY it!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:15:01 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 28, 2017, 07:14:05 am »

That looks rhetorical...
That would be a nope. I just looked it up continuously.
If it's not rhetorical then: Expensive people have better base stats and will be better no matter what.
A swordmaster gets an extra +20 melee skill. That is INSANE. Five +4's or Four +5's, that being on the scale from moderately to extremely rare is what's required to reach that level of skill - and guess what, he gets to take stat levelups for all of his starting levels too, which every 'good' profession has.
They're in a fighting profession- of course they're going to be experienced before they find your company.
So, it's a combination of paying for their equipment, paying for their base stats and paying for their free levelups. By the time you hit lategame, 8k will be pretty reasonable for a skilled soldier.

-Why doesn't Neonivek LOVE my game blindly without an ounce of thought?-
-Just praise it!-
-You can only love a game blindly or hate it!-
-I am clearly saying these things, this is exactly what I "Tack" am saying in this quote-
See what you've done here is literally add more words than I originally used... which is basically the opposite of what you want from a quotesnip.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:16:52 am by Tack »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 28, 2017, 07:16:16 am »

They changed it Tack. It doesn't work that way anymore.

They aren't as consistently better anymore. You can spend all your money on a Lord... and end up with a Lumberjack who is better.

Which is why I was rather confused because you were talking about how expensive characters are VERY worth the price. So I was like "Well ok, let me save, and buy this expensive guy" and then was shocked with how not too good he was (didn't even have stars in his primary skills). Then I tried four more times with different expensive characters.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:19:10 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 28, 2017, 07:17:41 am »

I know they removed the tooltips but did they actually change it?
Is there a quote or something?

Unless you're talking about rhetorical questions or quotesnips.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 28, 2017, 07:20:31 am »

I know they removed the tooltips but did they actually change it?
Is there a quote or something?

Unless you're talking about rhetorical questions or quotesnips.

It was an update. Mind you, I think it EFFECTIVELY works the same way (instead of generating a character then giving them a bonus... They instead have different minimums and maximums)... Except my luck was REALLY bad. Then bought the same number cheap characters, and got better characters overall.

So I was like "Wait, how the world did Tack get such good characters?"... It could just be REALLY bad luck, or maybe the game difficulty REALLY messes with the recruits.

Or maybe you need to skip the expensive characters... and instead save up for the REALLY expensive characters.

I kind of still wish the expensive characters were a bit more generous with the minimums and talent tendencies (Unless high difficulty kills their talent... which would make sense)

---

There is no way to check people out before you hire them right?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:35:03 am by Neonivek »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:32 am »

We need to do more testing. What kind of recruits did you hire?

We need to test the supposedly awesome ones, Hedge Knights, Sellswords, Nobles. And on the official forums I read a recent comment on how Swordmasters are allegedly fantastic.

EDIT: New update! Seems they're listening. :)

Quote from: Beta Update 0.9.0.22
Changelog

Changed ambitions so that they no longer come with a time limit, but can be aborted by right-clicking the ambition panel, which, after a confirmation prompt, will trigger the previous failure dialog and penalty to mood.
Changed difficulty curve in the mid and late game to be a bit smoother.
Changed contract payment to be higher in the mid and late game.
Changed leveling speed to be slightly higher.
Changed mood to now trend to barely content, as opposed to dissatisfied.
Changed mood to differentiate more between a tactical retreat and a lost battle.
Changed events to occur slightly more frequently.
Changed chance for named item loot in locations to be slightly higher. Requires a new campaign to take effect.
Changed large Nachzehrers to take a full turn to devour anyone, as to allow for more counter play after they get in position (knock back, repel, stun, taunt, etc).

Fixed AI not ending its turn in some cases.
Fixed wrong icon for Heraldic Hauberk.
Fixed issue with situations at settlements stacking not as intended, which could result in wrong prices or nothing being sold.
Fixed characters devoured by a Nachzehrer not showing up in the company's obituary if the player retreats from battle.
Fixed 'Release Falcon' skill not marking any enemies discovered as such.
Fixed issue with 'Decisive Battle' contract.
Fixed issue with 'Confront Warlord' contract.
Fixed various minor issues.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:03:10 pm by Greenbane »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 28, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »

Mind you, it is funny when you do get a Swordmaster and he has like 69 swordmenship and you are like "Awesome!" and then you check the stamina and it is like less than 60 :P

There has to be something you can do with super low stamina characters to have them not be terrible... Maybe like... Pikes?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:16:11 pm by Neonivek »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 28, 2017, 03:54:03 pm »

Mind you, it is funny when you do get a Swordmaster and he has like 69 swordmenship and you are like "Awesome!" and then you check the stamina and it is like less than 60 :P
Well, you were kinda warned about that in the description- the guy's old enough to be some other mercs' dad.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98