Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211098 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #840 on: February 26, 2017, 10:50:45 pm »

I know they reload. Though they cost 3 ammo a throw.

A lot of the enemies are kind of cheap in a lot of respects... in that they don't have to deal with the same limitations your units do... like ammo some of the time (to admit... MAYBE they have three backpack slots of ammo / throwing stuff... THEN FREEKEN AGAIN!!! Why is it that you are the only ones who have to pay for your choices?)
I'm pretty sure enemies only throw 3 javelins/axes, just like you do. They did before the new beta anyway, and if that changed, I didn't notice.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 26, 2017, 11:07:26 pm »

4, but yes.

Also found another li'l bug, people using mobility to flee will sometimes get caught in a loop of using mobility.
Not a huge bug but it's there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:57:45 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 27, 2017, 03:37:08 am »

I'm rocking 9-ish Dudes with Pikes (and backpack-dogs) and the remaining 3 are super heavy armored axe dudes, so I can (ab)-use the axe swings without slaughtering to much. Dogs can body block quite well and have good damage output and all those pikes allow to stab-spam one enemy down fairly fast. The only downside is that I buy [all the dogs] {all the time}.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:05 am »

Oh man skeletons and orc warriors are going to ruin your day.
How far into the game have you gotten?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 27, 2017, 04:44:46 am »

Only 2 Ambitions left to finish.

The push ability of the pikes make it easy to ensure none ever dies, just push the enemy away, run off, release a dog, good times. 2 Deaths total so far, from ye-early days.

Shouldn't I worry more about Goblins, seeing how they are ranged and I'm shield-less and slow with the massive amount of armor around (God those legendary armors are great on the Axe Dudes).
Orcs are ok, but the Warriors/Warlords are a issue for any kind of Group, while the young orcs and berserkes die so fast that there hardly ever is a issue.

Honestly I'm exploiting that the AI will always attack the dogs if they can.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 27, 2017, 05:04:02 am »

I always play "one of every weapon" like a chump

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 27, 2017, 07:27:58 am »

Mmh, it would be nice to have a few unique warbeasts as quest rewards. We have unique swords, so why not an attack bear or something... or a human berserker that functions essentially as a dog.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 27, 2017, 07:46:28 am »

I've had a good experience with war dogs, and usually release them when the battle has tilted in my favour and there are some enemies out of reach, like archers. They die easily, however, so you need to time their release well. I've sacrificed some during pitch battles, to save my mercs' some hits, and I regrettably lost my last pair due to a poorly-timed (early) use against a band of orcs.

I figure they would also be useful against Goblin Ambushers, too, but I haven't faced that variety of greenskins yet.

As for unique warbeasts, I figure a rare tamed direwolf would be cool, but it'd likely be uncarriable due to its size, and largely uncontrollable (therefore easy to lose) unless specific mechanics were designed to rein it in. Something like specific handler commands. The way I see it, a Houndmaster background would be a must to have access to them.

Day 57 - You have seperate sergeant and bannerman? I figure if someone has high enough resolve to carry the banner, they're usually the ones to get rally as well.

I suppose I didn't plan it well initially. The first Sergeant had a two-handed axe and I think was specialized in it, so I couldn't move him to the back line without giving up that advantage.

When the first Sergeant died, the brother with the highest resolve was a first line specialized spearman, and again I couldn't relegate him to the rear. The bannerman is the same guy with unexceptional Resolve who took up the standard when the company first got it, now level 6 and specialized in polearms, obviously. I try to increase his Resolve whenever I can, but it isn't his forte, either.

EDIT: New update out!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:33:35 am by Greenbane »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 27, 2017, 08:39:06 am »

Yeah, I've found wiedergangers and goblins to both be really rare in my current game.
(Just had the WAR endgame event... Currently have an uninvolved house doing some work which might be a bug.)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 27, 2017, 10:11:14 am »

So yeah, contract difficulty is a complete crapshoot and clashes hard with mounting renown.

A two-skull noble contract paying about 1400 crowns sent me deep into the mountains, greenskin territory, to take out a goblin city.

12 mercs fighting 11 goblins (Some Ambushers and Many Wolfriders) in mountain terrain, with the punks having complete mobility advantage (not to mention obviously starting in the highest ground) and making me advance on them. They also move away as I advance, and eventually send a group of Wolfriders around my flank, footworking with impunity. This is fine and very tactical of them, but I don't see how it can be anything but frustrating to the player. Again, perhaps with a more advanced company, but this is nonsense as a two-skull contract.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:18:37 am by Greenbane »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 27, 2017, 10:16:59 am »

Three stars they ambush you and you start completely out of position and all of your ranged units get instagibbed by their wolfriders.

Edit: It sounds facetious so actually no that is a real event which happens.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 27, 2017, 10:22:31 am »

Three stars they ambush you and you start completely out of position and all of your ranged units get instagibbed by their wolfriders.

Edit: It sounds facetious so actually no that is a real event which happens.

Gods. Considering how unbalanced two-skull contracts can be, I haven't even considered taking a three-skull one.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30:16 am »

I just took a contract which had me fighting thirty human soldiers.
I think the team has pretty well fixed the 'easy lategame' issue.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 27, 2017, 10:39:35 am »

I just took a contract which had me fighting thirty human soldiers.
I think the team has pretty well fixed the 'easy lategame' issue.

My biggest worry is that the game is very geared towards very specific weapons in the late game. That even though you get late game versions of some weapons, that you are better off ignoring them and building a team around say... 3 weapons, maybe 4.

But I haven't seen the game played much outside Veteran.

But that is mostly because late game enemies are kind of very similar. Super heavily armored dudes who are either immune to piercing damage (Sucks to be you Dagger users!) or with tons of HP (Sucks to be you Dagger users!) and often really great shields.

I just haven't wrapped my head around the game's balance yet.

Flails, for example, I understand that they ignore shields... Which is great early game, but later on I question how useful it is when enemies have 100 armor helmets. Versus just using an Axe to take down the shield.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 27, 2017, 10:55:31 am »

I could see using daggers if it was an entire squad of dagger users because of the new SPattack that daggers have.

... Y'know if the entire squad had enough fatigue to offset the ridiculously huge fatigue cost that 3 stabs in a turn would result in.
But being able to cut an orc warlord to pieces within his armour would be a fun time.

.. Is it bad that I only use shield split under extreme conditions? I figure that AP spent on shield wall is AP wasted, and my flail guy gets more free hits.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 98