Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210933 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #315 on: May 01, 2015, 05:00:51 pm »

Is there any way to speed up time? Sitting around waiting for my dudes to heal can take a while.

Been googling for this for a few minutes now. Yes, please!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2015, 01:40:05 pm »

Had food poisoning, so I played quite a bit of this!

A lot of fun so far, really hope for more content soon! Very solid basis so far! Someone was saying turn-based M&B, which felt oddly appropriate, and also what eventually I'd love the campaign to be, even if it seems like that's not the current goal of the game.

There are a couple of things that would make the game a lot better:
- Better tactical map readability: you have to mouse-over many tiles to figure out its contents. Is it obstructed (by trees, boulders, bushes, ...), how high is it, what's behind here, what's behind there. I can't emphasise how important it is for the terrain to be readable at a glance.
- Better character recognisability: I honestly don't know my characters. I move equipment around a lot as I add skills, so that doesn't help. 12 is too much to keep track of. I think something as simple as having their names on the tactical map would help. It's not one of the three dudes with an axe, it's Ulfric the Shield-Basher. Also, levels being more visible in the equipment UI!

Can't wait for more :)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 05, 2015, 02:59:42 pm »

I agree with those two points, in case it matters.

In addition, I find it a bit odd that I can't take two packages to the same city at the same time. Is it a balancing decision to have only one active contract at a time?

Not that I don't like your game of course. I love it. Also, I hate werewolves.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2015, 09:52:05 pm »

Despite not knowing almost anyone's name, I find myself really really really not wanting to tackle anything above Average. I still lose a guy fairly regularly, usually one without shields.

I also have this guy with 80! melee, wearing the two handed sword. Swipe. Death.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2015, 01:47:35 am »

Really looking forward to playing this in the future once I've cleared away some of my game backlog.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2015, 11:12:10 pm »

Anyone know if monster dens repopulate over time?

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2015, 02:57:20 am »

I think new ones are added while playing, since a recent changelog had the following feature:
Changed bandit camp cap to be lower so that they aren't all over the map in the lategame.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2015, 03:20:34 am »

Is there any way to speed up time? Sitting around waiting for my dudes to heal can take a while.

We have that on our whishlist and it will come sooner or later. There are some technical issues with speeding up the clouds and birds and it will look really weird so we have to make some sort of workaround for that. Cant promise when it will come though!
Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2015, 03:24:23 am »

In addition, I find it a bit odd that I can't take two packages to the same city at the same time. Is it a balancing decision to have only one active contract at a time?

We right now only have a small amount of contracts in the game, there are many more to come. This is the sad reason why you have double contracts from time to time, not really intended.
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2015, 03:29:22 am »

We now have more than a week of Early Access under our belt so here is a quick recap and lookout:

Recap: One week of Early Access

Battle Brothers launched into Early Access just about a week ago and so far it has been quite a ride!

First of all, a big thank you to all who have supported us by buying the game, giving feedback and suggestions, and reporting bugs! Please keep it up and keep spreading the word and help us getting people to know about Battle Brothers!

It’s now possible to upgrade your game to the Supporter Edition directly on Steam if you’ve enjoyed yourself playing the game and want to further support the development of Battle Brothers.

During the past week we were busy mainly with answering questions and fixing the most urgent of bugs. Nevertheless, we managed to squeeze in some smaller balancing changes and quality-of-life improvements based on your requests. Now that the dust of the launch is slowly settling we’ll soon change our focus again on adding new features to the game.

What’s next on the list?

We’ll soon start working on our first new feature: The event system.

While traveling the world a lot of unforeseen things can happen and surprise you. These events can occur anytime and anyplace and will force you to make tough decisions outside combat. Just to give you random example of what might be; if there is a Battle Brother with a criminal background in your mercenary company, a passing guard patrol might recognize that character and demand you hand him over as a prisoner or face the consequences. Similarly, individual characters in your group might interact depending on their backgrounds and traits - will the adventurous noble get along with the lazy sluggard beggar?

Events like this will not be entirely random but depend on what happens in the world and which characters are in your company. Their outcomes will be partially randomized for the sake of replayability. The possibilities for creating interesting, challenging and morally ambiguous events are limitless.

The event system is also much more than just the events themselves. It lays the foundation for a dialogue system that allows the player to interact with all parties on the worldmap like caravans or patrols. This will open up a lot of opportunities to create interesting encounters and make the player feel a lot more like a part of the world. Depending on how the event system works out, the whole contract system may also see a complete overhaul in the future to make for something more engaging than the current wall of text.

At this point it’s difficult to estimate how long it will take to get the event system into the game so we won’t give an ETA here. Make sure to follow our developer’s blog to always get the latest updates and we will tell you about our weekly progress.
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 07, 2015, 04:20:09 am »

Picked this up on a lark, not really knowing much about the game, and was pleasantly surprised.  I was experiencing almost instant crashes upon starting a campaign or scenario but switching from fullscreen to borderless windowed fixed that.

Any tips for a newbie?

E: Just noticed the dev posts here.  Are there any plans to add the potential for the player to engage in a little banditry?  Some of those caravans look pretty juicy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:11:02 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 07, 2015, 09:20:45 pm »

It seems like militiamen and wildmen can roll some crazy good stats for the price.  Without perks I've seen wildmen at 70 life, 50 resolve, and 120 fatigue (but usually mid 40's melee).  Militiamen I've seen reach up to 60 melee, but lower on life and fatigue.

EDIT: Scratch that.. I just got a wildman with 60 melee, 70 life, 45 resolve and 119 fatigue.  Soooo RNG.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 09:37:35 pm by Tnx »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 08, 2015, 01:11:18 am »

Perhaps in the future we can get support characters that don't take part in combat, but say, have a chance to save the life of a "killed" battle brother (maybe with some permanent damage).

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2015, 02:01:21 am »

That's coming.  We're going to be able to make camp with blacksmiths and healers and such in our retinue.  I hope the backgrounds of the recruits come into play more too.  Like say a tailor can help to reduce costs on repairing cloth armor, or a fisherman produces food when traveling near bodies of water.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2015, 02:03:02 am »

Picked this up on a lark, not really knowing much about the game, and was pleasantly surprised.  I was experiencing almost instant crashes upon starting a campaign or scenario but switching from fullscreen to borderless windowed fixed that.

Any tips for a newbie?

E: Just noticed the dev posts here.  Are there any plans to add the potential for the player to engage in a little banditry?  Some of those caravans look pretty juicy.

Hey there,
banditry is not really planned right now but we will increase the scope of actions the player can take in the future. Thing is, the caravans are vital for the villages to increase their wealth and thus their range of goods and supplies. If they dry out you will have not place to restock so it would hurt you more than anything else. That aside, we will add more contracts and also ways to ineract with caravans and patrols in the future.

Regarding some tipps, this is from our forum where a user wrote down some of the basic clues, hope it helps!

General tips:

– Buy as many shields as possible, shields are the real life savers.
- Use the high ground: Get yourself on it and use the shields "knockback" skill to knock enemies down from it.
- Do try to use at least one hit on any enemy if you have a few other guys around the target. It’ll give you bonus to hit (called Overwhelm).
– Axes are great against shields, but bigger shields (like the ones the orcs are using) require bigger axes (battle axes are perfect, hatchets and basic axes are only good at the begining, against medium shields).
– Two-handed guys should wear something better than a chainmail or they should kill enemy as fast as possible. Chainmail doesn’t last long against certain enemies and two-handed guys have no shield to boost their defense.
– A billhook or two are good way to support your battleline as they can reach two tiles away or move once and attack.
– Try to cause panic in your enemy’s ranks. Lowering morale gets them penalties and you bonuses, also fleeing enemies means free hits and can even cause a chain reaction.
– Don’t try to hit at all cost. Sometimes it’s better to save stamina instead of wasting it on some low chance of hitting. That stamina can be then used for something later on (a shieldwall, or an attack when rest of your men will come in to assist, etc.).

On werewolves:

I’d advise going entirely on the offense. Just try to kill as many of them as quickly as possible, to not allow them land their 3 hits per turn. A combination of shields and spears or swords seems to work great here. Spears allow you to use a spearwall and maybe land a few hits before they close in, swords will turn any miss into an attack and werewolves do tend to miss a lot. Experienced archers (or lucky ones) can help from afar, but you can also give them billhook to help at the front when arrows are spent or if situation demands extra bodies in the zone. Try to set up as good as you can to defend against their numbers too. Not always possible, but it can happen, especially in the swamp or forest.

On orcs:

Use weapons that can break shields and armor easily: battle axes, warhammers, two-handed swords or axes or flail (it bypasses a shield). Once shields and armor are gone orcs don’t have that much life. You should be using shields better than a standard round shields, otherwise orcs will deal with them in 2-3 hits and once your shield is gone your armor won’t last long. Try to set up kills for your heavy hitters as they can do some serious damage against them (provided you have men equipped properly with sturdy armor and a two-handed weapons).

On undead

Lost Souls are tricky – spears tend to work best on them, but basically anything that has high percentage of chance to hit is welcome. One you hit them they’re gone. Just try to avoid sending two-handers in. Their armor won’t matter. Lost Souls bypass armor and once your men start to flee they’ll get a lot of free hits. Improving your morale or getting certain perks helps against them.

Wiedergangers require some proper stamina management. Undead don’t get tired and don’t panic, they can also raise again after you killed them. Your own men can raise as well to get some payback on you. Try not to spend stamina carelessly or you’ll find yourself overwhelmed quickly (and once you do it can go downhill fast from there). If fighting skeletons do keep in mind that they are resistant to weapons such as spears or swords. Try to use bashing weapons or stronger axes.
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 98