Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's create a setting.  (Read 24847 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's create a setting.
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 07:41:47 pm »

The Ash-sea is more dense than air, but less dense than water, causing all of the seafaring races to use artificial means in order to make their ships lighter- usually either harvesting the gas from ash-jellyfish, or flying atop swirling clouds of the damned.

-snip-

I was going to do a summary at the start of every 50 post page.
But you and LL seem to have things well-in-hand.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:50:43 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 07:45:40 pm »

I ... I put that in! To go from the east of the dwarven lands to the dwarven lands you would have to travel west ... although I guess if it's the inside of a sphere you could travel a straight line in any direction and eventually reach it.

NO ESCAPE
Wouldn't you hit the oblivion continent if you traveled too far away? Thought it surrounded the islands?
I think at some point it got turned into "this is on the inside of a hollow world and oblivion is on the outside of the world, which means the normal planet surface". I think GWG might have added that to reconcile the fact that there's a sun and giant-orbiters. Maybe just miscommunication?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 07:59:37 pm »

I think at some point it got turned into "this is on the inside of a hollow world and oblivion is on the outside of the world, which means the normal planet surface". I think GWG might have added that to reconcile the fact that there's a sun and giant-orbiters. Maybe just miscommunication?

I was sort of thinking it was on the inside of a half-sphere (maybe a little less) where everything was centered in the middle, where the spire was that reached to the sun.  The ash seas reached to the very edge of the bowl, and most of the time they would flow off into the void of space/oblivion.  On the days where the sun was entirely blotted out, I could see clouds filling up the bowl, or at least the top of it, instead of flowing off into the abyss that they normally do.  Temperatures would plummet, ash clouds would cover the sky, souls would be heard wailing from the clouds, and possibly it would rain everywhere that day.  It might also be the only time that the dwarfs could reach near the top of the pillar, but it would be even more dangerous to try that day.  The acidic rain would cascade down, the poisonous atmosphere would be everywhere, even the maggot-men wouldn't dare tread the paths they normally do on those days.

Great sea/ash beasts stir from their territory, coming close to the outer islands, being seen clearly by any of brave enough to leave their shelter.  The lava-squids would retreat underground to get away from the falling temperature, the Mould collective would take samples and experiment with ways to withstand the atmosphere and clouds.  The man-eating trees would groan from the stress of keeping back the ash, and their protective areas would dwindle for that day.

((A little bit of discworld, instead of a flat surface, sort of bowl-shaped and filled with things.  The sun is set at an area and is tethered to the world by the spire, or the world is tethered to the sun, depends on which way you want to hurtle through oblivion/space.  That's how I saw it anyway.  I'll stop typing now, I think I went a little overboard. :P))
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:06:05 pm by Karkov »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 08:21:50 pm »

Souls wailing from the clouds. That's amazing.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 08:32:23 pm »

There is an event that is believed to happen in the last years of the world, where a storm will appear in the ash sea, where there will be lightning and thunder under the waves, destroying all seafaring vessels, save for the raider's ship and the elven king's ship. The storm will last many years, and in its time, the violent snow, acid rain will change colors to black, becoming so acidic and deadly, a single drop could melt through 5' of solid stone in a second, stopping after 15'. Many will die, and many civil wars will break out over food and resources. The dwarves are deemed to be the first to die out, their hardy and enduring race as a statement, saying even the strongest will die. For ninteen years, the world will slowly kill itself, and on the last year, the ash sea will rise to a great level and flood over the lands of the dwarves. The great fight will begin, where the spire shard will be destroyed by the conflict. When the spire starts to slowly crumble, shards will rain down and destroy the world with raining shards, sinking the scourge's ship. The elven king will revel over this, but the souls of the damned that surround his ship will climb over the sides and pull the king and his men into the ash sea. Then the spire collapses and all ceases to exist as the world itself collapses.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2014, 08:36:44 pm »

((Have to say, when this world goes, it goes out in style.))

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2014, 08:40:24 pm »

((Have to say, when this world goes, it goes out in style.))
((I'm hoping others add in other events to the end of the world or something that has to do with the sea monsters))
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2014, 02:13:28 am »

Certain sects claim that during the end times, while the spire crumbles and wars rage, the greatest and last surviving monster-gods of the ash sea will work to stop the doom. They will take the intelligent races on their backs and swim out into oblivion, shielded by the souls of the dead, instinctively seeking to protect their own race. Each god will take their favored race and bring them far away from the dying world. There they will sacrifice themselves, using their bodies to create new planets, while the orbiters will wake and join hands to create a new sun, and thus shall be the rebirth.

(Might be a bit too hopeful for the amount of grimdarkness the rest of the world already has. I thought "well, we have a Ragnarok, we might as well a version of the rebirth story afterward.")
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:15:31 am by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 03:50:37 am »

How about this:

It is rumored that at the center of the great spire lies the greatest of the ash creatures, Nimhogg, who at the end of the world will break free of it's prison and eat the sun. The orbiting giants will battle with Nimhogg and slay it, tearing the sun out of it's stomach and using it's body to fuel it for the next age. It's bones will be used to rebuild the world, it's spine will rebuild the spire, and it's eye will be sealed inside it, trapping it until it is once again reborn, and ragnarok will begin again.

((Slightly more grimdark version of the rebirth story. Added eternal cycle of ragnarok.))
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:57:05 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:23 am »

(Grimdark is fine and dandy, but surely there must be some redeeming features)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 03:58:06 am »

((Yeah, having a little bit of not-so-grimdark is nice.  Could probably stand to have more of it, in fact.))

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 04:07:19 am »

((It's actually less grimdark than the real Nimhogg (norse mythology ftw) at least he dies in this one.))
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2014, 10:29:24 am »

((It's actually less grimdark than the real Nimhogg (norse mythology ftw) at least he dies in this one.))

((It's Nidho(/ö)gg(r)))

Yet others claim that when the end times come, it will be accompanied by a mysterious change in the position of the sun - what we would call nothing more than a sunset. The world will turn around, the ground near the deepest depths becoming the topsoil of a new world, lit by the moon being reborn as the sun as the old world's sun withers into a moon.

Of course, nearly each village has their own version or interpretation of their mythology, so the true fate of the world is yet to be determined.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2014, 12:50:12 pm »

Others claim that in the last hundred years, seventeen great heroes will arise. 16 will fall in their attempts, but the last, a magma squid with the ability to fly, shall halt the breaking of the spire. 16 othere will become the stweards of the Spire, and from then on, no one knows.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2014, 01:09:29 pm »

Certain sects claim that during the end times, while the spire crumbles and wars rage, the greatest and last surviving monster-gods of the ash sea will work to stop the doom. They will take the intelligent races on their backs and swim out into oblivion, shielded by the souls of the dead, instinctively seeking to protect their own race. Each god will take their favored race and bring them far away from the dying world. There they will sacrifice themselves, using their bodies to create new planets, while the orbiters will wake and join hands to create a new sun, and thus shall be the rebirth.

(Might be a bit too hopeful for the amount of grimdarkness the rest of the world already has. I thought "well, we have a Ragnarok, we might as well a version of the rebirth story afterward.")
One sect claims that the monster-gods will simply swallow some members of a race and carry them in its gut as the monster flees through The Oblivion, and when it reaches a new world the seed of that species will be in its dung.

Another sect believes the world is an egg, but disagrees on whether something will be born or if the egg has become diseased and festering.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12