Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Let's create a setting.  (Read 24840 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's create a setting.
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 04:25:56 pm »

((Guys, anybody here's a painter? We need someone to paint a bit of this world, sell that as album covers, then funnel the funds into the Bay12 Space World Domination Program.))
((I may even use this setting for a world in a D&D campaign or even in a story I'll write for fun...

Provided it's ok with everyone here?))
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 04:31:30 pm »

Dwarves are good at small scale and precise construction of things like tunnels and tools but the moulds are better at large scale...
Missed how the second half was talking about moulds.

Some dwarves believe that the inevitable doom can be delayed by blood sacrifices.
There are at least two or three inevitable dooms. Please be more specific.

((Guys, anybody here's a painter? We need someone to paint a bit of this world, sell that as album covers, then funnel the funds into the Bay12 Space World Domination Program.))
((I may even use this setting for a world in a D&D campaign or even in a story I'll write for fun...

Sure. Share what happens, though.

By the way, anyone know of any good sphere-mapping programs?

The Titans' Realm

The land is broken into a number of little islands surrounded by a sea of volcanic fog (and ash, judging by later things). It is filled with the souls of the dead (hence the common tradition of sending corpses of the dead into the sea); their siren songs drive men living by the coast mad. The tides are the only natural way to mark time. The islands "evolved" (formed?) from volcanoes.
The largest group of islands surrounds an impossibly tough, evidently-hollow obsidian spire that reaches to the sun, which some dwarves believe they made while others think it was made by the humanoid molds. Every 50 tides, the dwarves (who have a curious affection for the spire) hold a ritual of bravery which involves ascending the spire. None return; eventually, the heat of the sun incapacitates the ascendant champions, and they collapse and die. It is believed, however, that the dwarves have reached a kind of promised land, where the air is pure and without poison. Every 200 tides, the spire releases a burst of energy that makes manaroc gems glow. Every nineteen such bursts, the tower is observed to crack a little, which is disturbing as it is generally known that, should the spire fall, creation will follow. Wise men from all civilized races are trying to find a way to either repair the spire or stop the blasts; none have even come close to success, and their efforts are impeded by religious individuals who believe that they are tampering with the tools of the gods. Moulds put in more effort than other races, but their hive-minded nature makes their efforts less innovative and hence less likely to succeed.
Underground, there is an extremely valuable metal known as orichalcum which is believed to have fallen from the sun. Dwarves have made several expeditions to find the source. These expeditions also allow dwarves to determine the thickness of the shell in various places, obviously important for miners and such.
The air is poisonous, similar to Venus (but presumably not quite as hot, dense, or...acidic as Venus's, not as prone to permanent continent-sized storms, because screw Venus).
The sun is in a stationary position in the sky; this is because the world is on the inside of a hollow sphere. Outside the shell is Oblivion; anything thrown there is destroyed and ceases to have ever existed. Traitors are typically tortured before being sent into oblivion. Some claim there is a second sun called the moon, but none in living memory have seen such a thing. Orbiting the suns are fifteen spheres, actually the sleeping forms of more giants, each different from the others.
The volcanoes are inhabited by a species of sentient lava (magma?) squid. Other sentient races include maggot-men (resistant to the perils of the outside world, and hence commonly found in professions which makes them need to travel outside), a hive-minded humanoid mold (called "mould"), dwarves (known for their fine handiwork and craftsmanship), and elves (which are rare and live mainly on an island; they enslave the members of the sentient species, locking them in massive desolate lighthouses made of stone, used for the navigation on the ash seas. However, the influence of the spirits of the dead, as mentioned before, causes the keepers to slowly go insane. Those who survive the prolonged exposure, as rare as it is, are physically changed by the experience, gaining a strange sort of bond with the souls and the seas). Ash elves are a subtype of elf, which sails the sea in ships of bone and survive on a combination of raiding and "whaling". A race of intelligent, though perhaps not quite sapient, trees is also present; their boughs shield some areas from the harsh atmosphere, creating habitable areas underneath. Given that they also block the light, though, no plants can grow there; inhabitants of these "habitable" areas need to venture out to get food from the surrounding areas. The trees and the mold have an antagonistic relationship, due to the trees absorbing their kin. On the other hand, the indigestible maggotmen enjoy camping with the trees, who have learned not to try and absorb them and hence have formed an odd, informal alliance.
Maggot-men live under the rule of a single Lord. The lava squid do not have any formalized government, instead operating on a tribal system, with popular "big-squid" and the occasional elected Chief who rules several schools. The molds do not have any kind of central organization, nor do they need one; they do, however, have breathtaking monuments and structures. Dwarves are fractured into a number of feudal states. The elves have a few city-states, mainly democratic, as well as a confederation between them to deal with dwarves raiding them frequently for sacrifices.
Ash creatures live in the sea; the large ones are worshiped as gods in the outer isles. Some believe even larger creatures slumber beneath the lava (magma?); others believe the whole world is on the back of a very large such creature. (See more below.) There is also a species of ash-living, soul-eating "jellyfish" evolved from the magma squid, which uses "heat-pouches" to swim through the sea.
There is a religion known as Akupara which believes that the world is supported on the back of a giant creature sleeping under the magma, and which fears that it will one day awaken and shake the world off. One sect is dedicated to preventing this threat, while others typically accept this as an inevitable--perhaps not even a bad--fate of the world.

The setting is slightly disturbing.

Parentheticals are guesses as to interpretation. Bold things are things I just added.

P.S. I refuse to go past here until someone else contributes to the organizative post. Organizing it better would be appreciated, I apparently suck at that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 04:37:09 pm »

Armed with the stories of these manaroc weapons several dwarfs have made their own. It seems that each person has a "element" that they channel through the manaroc on these weapons to deadly effect.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 04:37:20 pm »

Saying that elves live on an island is redundant, considering that the whole place is islands.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 04:40:08 pm »

Saying that elves live on an island is redundant, considering that the whole place is islands.
Right. Forgot that.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »

Much smaller obsidian spires have begun to sprout from the land. These are fragile, however, and lack the supernatural density of the grand spire.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 05:46:06 pm »

Scholars from all races break off and collect the small spires in hopes of learning more about the material the Spire is composed of.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 05:53:36 pm »

Of especial mention is the weather - the chemicals making up the clouds producing things like toxic drizzle, acidy fog and votialate snows. And many things between. It is actually quite hazardous to go out in the rain even with the races, animals and fauna obviously used and hardened to it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 06:13:09 pm »

How about this for organization. EDIT: OK I think I went back and got everything. This should be current; if you don't see your stuff, PM me and I'll add it, so this can become a good "As Of" point for further edit.

Spoiler: Geography (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Atmosphere and the Sky (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inhabitants (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Religion (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:22:59 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 06:25:38 pm »

((I went to bed last night and this basically tripled in it's metal content, I swear.  Also, I keep picturing some even more hellish Arrakis as our basic foundation.))

The maggot-men are neutral to the other races.  As they are able to traverse the world safely, they are sought after to transport goods (or possibly people) from one town to another.  They have been doing this for many a year and have amassed quite a fortune from it.  They store most of their wealth in a forest of the carnivorous trees, untouchable by the other races.

((I keep seeing the maggot-men having a symbiotic relationship with the trees; the trees make the maggot-men a place to live peacefully, the maggot-men plant or feed (with prisoners) the existing trees.))

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 06:25:39 pm »

Coincidentally, I was just working on a D&D islands setting for a new campaign starting this Saturday. But this is a little too out there I think, as we'll have a handful of brand-new players who may appreciate at least starting somewhere a little more recognizable :P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 06:29:16 pm »

Coincidentally, I was just working on a D&D islands setting for a new campaign starting this Saturday. But this is a little too out there I think, as we'll have a handful of brand-new players who may appreciate at least starting somewhere a little more recognizable :P
((You should have them come here at higher level, and see how long they survive for))

There is one point every year where the sky is clouded and the sun does not shine. Some races take this as an ill omen, while others celebrate the single day of darkness.

((For the record, the elves live on an island EAST of the dwarven lands if I recall))

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 07:24:07 pm »

I ... I put that in! To go from the east of the dwarven lands to the dwarven lands you would have to travel west ... although I guess if it's the inside of a sphere you could travel a straight line in any direction and eventually reach it.

NO ESCAPE
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:27 pm »

I ... I put that in! To go from the east of the dwarven lands to the dwarven lands you would have to travel west ... although I guess if it's the inside of a sphere you could travel a straight line in any direction and eventually reach it.

NO ESCAPE
Wouldn't you hit the oblivion continent if you traveled too far away? Thought it surrounded the islands?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34:37 pm »

Or be eaten by one of the giant roaming false god-fish.

I really want to make a joke about Cyrodil here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12