Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game is moving...

too fast for me. Contracts should be longer, more drawn out.
- 0 (0%)
at just the right pace. Keep doing what you're doing
- 4 (66.7%)
too slowly. There's too much time where not much is happening
- 2 (33.3%)
slowly at times, quickly at others. (Explain what you mean)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: Roll for Hire - OOC - Room for a Ghost  (Read 27709 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll for Hire - OOC - Waitlist set for now...
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2014, 12:49:18 pm »

Well your magic system is fairly basic. I mean it's still kind of useful but until they discover a cave with ten different kinds of gem no one will go into magic. I understand if this is an important plot point but magic should advance fairly soon or everyone will forget about it.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2014, 12:55:49 pm »

Well your magic system is fairly basic. I mean it's still kind of useful but until they discover a cave with ten different kinds of gem no one will go into magic. I understand if this is an important plot point but magic should advance fairly soon or everyone will forget about it.
Thank you for the quick reply. You have a point, I did mean for it to be a major plot point to discover magic further, but you're right that holding off that long for magic to become viable will prevent any characters from developing in that direction. I'll try to make basic magic more accessible in the coming turns, perhaps two or three small crystals of different varieties, and then hold off on some other major discoveries for later plot development. Again, thank you for the feedback and I promise to modify the game to accommodate that.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 26, 2014, 01:58:09 pm »

Personally, I'm really liking this game.
I don't really know what kind of feedback to suggest, though, I'm sorry.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 26, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »

Personally, I'm really liking this game.
I don't really know what kind of feedback to suggest, though, I'm sorry.
Even that is helpful, if not for my writing style at least for my motivation/sanity. :)
My Area

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2014, 11:43:17 pm »

I'm having fun. I'm actually tempted to not jump in as a player and just continue to mock the players.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2014, 11:14:28 am »

It is pretty fun... but we can always mock them in game too.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:14 am »

How is the "Ghost" race unlocked?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2014, 12:11:24 pm »

How is the "Ghost" race unlocked?
Hmm... An interesting idea. Tell me what your concept for the race is and we can talk about it. If it will be a fairly minimal race I could write it in soon, since there doesn't seem to be a necessary metaphysical reason there couldn't be ghosts right now.

I'm writing the next turn right now. I'm updating basically every RtD I'm running today, and I'm writing them sort of concurrently, one section at a time, so it might take a bit before I get it up. Also, the result of Kyle's time in Paludan is going to be an in depth Lore section on the Alchemists Guild, and that may be posted after the turn results are up.
My Area

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2014, 12:18:08 pm »

I would think ghosts would be disembodied souls that can only interact with magick crystals on the physical plane. They would obviously only be used for magic based classes.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2014, 12:24:31 pm »

I think ghosts are the invisible spirits of waitlisters brought into existence.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2014, 12:37:50 pm »

I think ghosts are the invisible spirits of waitlisters brought into existence.
That makes sense. I guess my question is more, what ability should they have to interact with the world. Can they mess with people's emotions? As Froggy suggested, should they be able to use crystals? What mechanics apply to them?

Once we have an answer for these questions, I think it's a great idea.
My Area

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »

Throwing in an early idea of mine, ghosts should be incapable of acting physically, but have innate magical abilities. They also have an innate ability to sap the strength of others by touching them and store this energy, which is used to perform magic. They should also have some manner of material as a bane, like most supernatural creatures do.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:24 pm »

Throwing in an early idea of mine, ghosts should be incapable of acting physically, but have innate magical abilities. They also have an innate ability to sap the strength of others by touching them and store this energy, which is used to perform magic. They should also have some manner of material as a bane, like most supernatural creatures do.
Good ideas!

Of the alloys currently known, bismuth bronze has the least uses, so we'll say bismuth alloys repel ghosts. This can also help explain it's popularity amongst the rich as a decorative alloy.

In terms of sapping strength, I don't want them to be too powerful, so we'll need a mechanic that ensures that our two friendly ghosts can't effectively neutralize a threat by removing its strength, but can still have some small impact.

In terms of magic, are you thinking through crystals or without any mediation? Right now the lore suggests only crystals can generate effects from magical energy, but this could be changed if its too clunky of a mechanic.

Finally, should they gain skills through growth like the living races or should they be static characters that can act in small ways but not grow?
My Area

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2014, 12:55:25 pm »

They should gain magic at a rate based on how many people are around them by dipping into their absorption stream. I'm thinking that ghosts can (if given a couple of minutes) absorb a crystal to gain its magic. They should be able to gain skills but only ghost or magic related ones. Also there may be crystals that let you see ghosts (and use them as gems if they've absorbed any) if looked through/made into glasses etc.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2014, 01:00:38 pm »

The thought is that they can't act in the world normally, so they do so through supernatural means, but they don't have a replenishing stream of magical energy because they aren't living, so they have to be mana vampires for power.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24