Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: World's biggest drug kingpin arrested.  (Read 12324 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: World's biggest drug kingpin arrested.
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2014, 02:47:48 pm »

And taking joy in the mutilative death of real people isn't something we should strive for.

If only the guy hadn't made an empire of it.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2014, 03:47:03 pm »

What he's saying is that he's against the death penalty.

And taking joy in the mutilative death of real people isn't something we should strive for.
Meh, I am ambivalent to the death penalty itself. 
I'm more against the 'humane' part of the execution part.  Its just frivolously dressing up something that should not be 'sanitized', just so that it would be more palatable to those who condemn the person to it.  (Yea, I also believe that if you are willing to sentence someone to death, that you should also be the one to carry it out or at the least be physically present.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 03:50:09 pm »

What he's saying is that he's against the death penalty.

Meh, I am ambivalent to the death penalty itself. 
I'm more against the 'humane' part of the execution part.  Its just frivolously dressing up something that should not be 'sanitized', just so that it would be more palatable to those who condemn the person to it.  (Yea, I also believe that if you are willing to sentence someone to death, that you should also be the one to carry it out or at the least be physically present.)
If the murderer is gonna be electrocuted the victims' families need to get on exercise bikes and generate the electricity. Cue them all slowly pedaling and taking breaks in shifts over the course of a year.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:37 pm »

Okay, then, I'm back to being confused. I don't think the only conceivable motive for a humane execution is that you're uncomfortable with the idea. I agree that you shouldn't hide the consequences of your decisions behind euphemisms - but that's only one reason for talking about humane executions, and it's far from the most compelling. As I was trying to illustrate before, if you think the death-by-acid method is more wrong than the death-by-headshot-while-asleep method, you understand on some level why it's preferable to execute people in as humane a way as possible.

What it sounds like you're saying is that executions should be somewhat messy so that the people responsible can't ignore the reality of ending a life, and while I agree with the goal you have in mind, I feel like the welfare of the executioner is somewhat less important here.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:35 pm »

I agree with Zangi. I was thinking about this last night- the whole idea of a 'humane' execution is silly.
You're still taking away someone's life, putting a big fat full stop on all their hopes, dreams and ambitions. I don't see the point of pussyfooting around and pretending like it makes a difference whether they suffer a couple of seconds of pain or not in the process. ::)
 If the governing power is set on killing someone, they end up dead either way.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2014, 11:10:29 pm »

Though it does matter to the person in question how painfully/traumatically they die.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2014, 11:13:15 pm »

Though it does matter to the person in question how painfully/traumatically they die.
This. Again, I think the death penalty is a Bad Idea. But given that it's a thing, I don't get why it seems okay to jump from "We've decided you need to die" to "Therefore, it doesn't matter how." Are you saying the acid thing is acceptable? If not, why, and how do you reconcile that explanation with what you're claiming?

It seems obvious that the end result isn't the only thing that matters, but maybe I'm missing something.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:31 pm »

For all of a few seconds tops as their severed head shuts down and dies, yes.
Note that I didn't say "torture is okay". I just said finding the most painless method of execution doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you're killing someone anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2014, 11:45:13 pm »

I just said finding the most painless method of execution doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you're killing someone anyway.
I dunno, it seems to me that if it were me being executed, it'd make a lot of difference to me.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2014, 11:47:32 pm »

I just said finding the most painless method of execution doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you're killing someone anyway.
I dunno, it seems to me that if it were me being executed, it'd make a lot of difference to me.
Precisely.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2014, 12:03:55 am »

Well. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I'd be more concerned about entering the whole 'Dead' state of being than exactly how I got there.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2014, 12:12:15 am »

Yeah, but that doesn't mean I won't worry about the how at all.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2014, 12:19:56 am »

I'd be more concerned about entering the whole 'Dead' state of being than exactly how I got there.
Obviously, but when that is a given the whole pain part is pretty bad too. I mean to die is to end, but pain is suffering. There are a lot more suicide deaths by gun in the united states, simply because guns are available and seen as a quick, easy end. I would go with firing squad given the choice. Not because it's less painful or something, it just seems more dignified somehow; despite being small, it would help me deal with the whole affair.

On a more Guzman related note, two things today: DNA tests have proven that it is in fact him, and not some lookalike (it's been a while since he was in custody); and he has won a temporary injunction from being extradited to the US. Such cases usually last a while.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:28:10 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2014, 12:21:57 am »

I don't really understand why people interested in "humane" executions don't knock the prisoner out first... Seems to me it's less about what is actually humane and more about what looks humane. The pageantry of it all.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2014, 12:25:36 am »

Obviously, but when that is a given the whole pain part is pretty bad too. I mean to die is to end, but pain is suffering. There are a lot more suicide deaths by gun in the united states, simply because guns are available and seen as a quick, easy end. I would go with firing squad given the choice. Not because it's less painful or something, it just seems more dignified somehow; despite being small, it would help me deal with the whole affair.

On a more Guzman related note, two things today: DNA tests have proven that it is in fact him, and note some lookalike (it's been a while since he was in custody); and he has won a temporary injunction from being extradited to the US. Such cases usually last a while.
Damnit! I hope it gets overturned, this guy needs to be locked up for good, and for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10