Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - GAME OVER  (Read 25697 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 3 - Summer
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »

That means, a1s is up!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »

I see what you're going to do in autumn, NQT, and I preemptively call bullshit.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »

That's cute, but it's summer. Conquering is in the second half of the year. What would you really like to do?
Can we change the hard limit in the next game to something softer? Entire seasons go by (Fall comes to mind) where you can do almost nothing, if you're not ready/able to start a war. How about each action out of season is either +3 actions or double actions whichever is higher (so expanding to a field, or building a fort on it in the fall is 4 actions, whereas conquering a fortified mountain across a river in the spring is 8.) This still means that following the season is still a good idea, but doesn't completely stop all activity for a turn when you have no other options.

expand 3, 28.
forage 3
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2014, 06:30:25 pm »

Well Dariush, we can review whether or not Heterodox is over-powered at the end of the game.

That's not a bad idea a1s, I'll definitely consider softer limits to the actions for HoH3.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 11, 2014, 06:35:40 pm »

Just Cerapa now and I'll end the season.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2014, 06:43:53 am »

During the last two years, ents only migrated to this new land, to live in cities made for them. But this summer was different. What were once plains and forests, had now turned into mighty jungles. They were filled with life and water. There was nothing missing. The Ents had a new home, and began to grow. What was once a small band of settlers, now filled the forests of the north with their children.

Forage 20
Forage 21
Forage 33
Forage 35
Forage 46
Forage 47
Forage 48

Total 7 extra pop, 15 actual.

The new generation looked to the east, to the great desert, which the forces of Babelon had expanded greatly. They were restless, and did not respect the agreements that their elders had made. Swine blood would be spilled this year.

Expand 50

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2014, 07:02:35 am »

Total 7 extra pop, 15 actual.
ಠ_ಠ

I think I'll delete my "List of things wrong with HoH2" I've been keeping and replace it with a much shorter "List of things not wrong with HoH2".

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2014, 07:34:43 am »

Haha. Yeah, maybe if all the combos were equally hyper-powered it'd be different. That said, the player with the lower population always gets to act first, so we'll see how this pans out. Remember too, that unlike you and Monk, most of Cerapa's excess population is losable when they attack someone (as it's not backed up by cities). If you'd like to run a version of the game next, Dariush, I'd be happy to play in it  :)

OK. I'll be rolling on to the next season in just a moment.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 3 - Spring
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2014, 09:59:27 am »

Year Three - Fall

In the long summer of the third year the heretics grew fat on the land, expanding their borders right up to one another. Would the Pearly Swines be the only ones unaffected by fall, the season of slaughter?

Spoiler: Year 3 - Fall (click to show/hide)

In Fall you can: Harvest, Conquer, Raze, Raid, Dismantle, and do some heresy actions. a1s may post outside of turn order, everyone else has neighbours and should wait to see what they do first.

Remember, that cities are not destroyed when conquered and so add to the conquerer's population range.

Attention! 'Dismantle' now includes the Abandon action which allows you to withdraw from a territory. It costs one action, the territory becomes neutral, cities remain but fortifications are destroyed. The OP has been updated with this info.

Turn order:
GreatWyrmGold [pop.2]
NQT [pop.5]
a1s [pop.6]
Dariush [pop.7]
Monk12 [pop.9]
cerapa [pop.15]

Active Players
Spoiler: 1. The Accord - NQT (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7. Pearly Swine - a1s (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:16:12 am by notquitethere »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:53 am »

Irrigate 78
Raze 78
Conquer 92
Conquer 79

I nominate this indirect abandonment mechanic as the stupidest one in a game full of them.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2014, 10:33:22 am »

I nominate this indirect abandonment mechanic as the stupidest one in a game full of them.
I did ask earlier if the majority of players are behind the addition of an Abandon action mid-game:
If most players are in favour, I can add an abandon action for this game.
Monk and Cerapa were behind it but no one else said anything and I forgot about it. As the majority are now behind the change, I'll go ahead and add an Abandon action. I'll update the OP and Season post now. You may revise the action you just submitted.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2014, 10:49:07 am »

So now I can't, for example, dismantle a city to have an earlier turn without abandoning the territory? whine whine grumble grumble

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2014, 10:54:11 am »

No, it's an OR effect. You can dismantle cities etc. without abandoning the territory. The new text reads:

Dismantle: Remove from a tile you own one of: a fortification, a city; or turn a field into a plain without harvesting; or turn a territory you own into a neutral territory (destroying fortifications but leaving everything else intact).

Dismantling is like improving, in that it isn't an action so much as it's a grouping of similar actions.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:56:41 am by notquitethere »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2014, 11:08:45 am »

Building cities raises minimum population, but unless dismantling them sufficiently lowers your maximum population you don't actually lose pop from dismantling them, if I read the rule correctly. Also, you definitely need to use the new abandon action there since you can't irrigate in Fall.

Also also OH SNAAAAAP TOO MANY ENEMIES

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2014, 11:17:25 am »

Building cities raises minimum population, but unless dismantling them sufficiently lowers your maximum population you don't actually lose pop from dismantling them, if I read the rule correctly.
That is correct.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26