Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 198035 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 08:24:08 pm »

Welp, they blacked out. Time for the Rock Tunnel Ledge: Part 2!  :o

I guess running around in circles is slightly more dangerous when there's a battle every few steps, eh?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 08:32:28 pm »

If anyone wants it I've uploaded the script and all it's components here. With minor editing it should work with any lua scripting capable emulator by changing the emulator specific commands.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 09:15:02 pm »

Pretty sure we all broke it. I was amongst those saying left at the tree cutting, tehehehe this is hilarious.

Its back on. Still trying to cut the tree, jesus I'm about to have an aneurysm.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:21:14 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 09:33:36 pm »

This really reminds me of XKCD time.

It's a bunch of people establishing a community around random little things. In both cases, the material consists of long boring periods, with brief spikes of neat things.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 10:22:46 pm »

So for three days this poor trainer has had the voices of Twitch screaming in his head, telling him conflicting instructions and then screaming at each other when he follows them, correct? Why did it take me so long to notice this?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 10:33:51 pm »

A perfect description of the current state of the game.

I really wonder when the last time they fought a battle was. At least a good bout of LEERLEERLEERLEER spam would break the monotony...

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 10:37:51 pm »

A perfect description of the current state of the game.

I really wonder when the last time they fought a battle was. At least a good bout of LEERLEERLEERLEER spam would break the monotony...
There was a battle just a couple hours ago, they managed to get past the ledge but wiped before they could get to the next pokemon center.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:41 pm »

This is fucking hilarious. I'm rooting for you Red, you can do it!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 11:00:44 pm »

I'm going to make an RTD where you all fight for control of Red.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2014, 11:16:23 pm »

I'm going to make an RTD where you all fight for control of Red.
Don't forget to include such essential elements as:

* The almighty Helix Fossil, along with false prophets Moonstone and Nugget
* The bubble-spewing Rattata, and his companion Mr. Dig
* The endless challenge of training our servants in the art of tree-cutting
* The Ledge of Eternity, tempting unwary travelers with its siren whisper of "down"

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2014, 11:18:20 pm »

Twitch-Pokemon Movement Theorem: Anything that requires fine movement, to such a degree where it can be easily canceled or failed by one or two commands, will result in a delay of at-least 1+ hours. Examples include trying to cut the damn tree down and trying to get through the path that can be oh-so-easily jumped off.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2014, 11:20:23 pm »

It occurs to me that Pokemon can actually be brute forced because it completely lacks a lose state. Theoretically you could set up a bot that spams buttons that could eventually win the game although as previously mentioned the Safari Zone would likely be the biggest wall.
http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2014, 11:29:52 pm »

It occurs to me that Pokemon can actually be brute forced because it completely lacks a lose state. Theoretically you could set up a bot that spams buttons that could eventually win the game although as previously mentioned the Safari Zone would likely be the biggest wall.

If only I could find a video of the Human one at the 12 hour point, to see which one is doing 'better'.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2014, 11:33:51 pm »

It feels like the RNG stream is doing worse than Twitch chat. It's been running for over 12 hours (game time), and hasn't even reached Viridian Forest yet. Besides, an RNG is very likely to start backtracking at some point (50-50 versus moving forwards). The dev's FAQ states that the RNG has a bug that biases it slightly towards up/right inputs, which means it'll probably get stuck in Cerulean (if it even gets that far).

Twitch chat might not progress very fast, but they also don't backtrack very often.  :)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:00 pm »

Keep in mind that it's day 3 for the Human stream.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 180