Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 197995 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2014, 11:52:56 pm »

I remember almost 'losing' the game via not having enough cash for Safari Zone. I have a feeling that was a design error since it can throw you back like ~4 hours if you get stuck there. :(

Apparently the step requirement was hacked out, so the 30 safari balls is the only thing they have to worry about running out of.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2014, 12:20:37 am »

It occurs to me that Pokemon can actually be brute forced because it completely lacks a lose state. Theoretically you could set up a bot that spams buttons that could eventually win the game although as previously mentioned the Safari Zone would likely be the biggest wall.
http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon

It feels like the RNG stream is doing worse than Twitch chat. It's been running for over 12 hours (game time), and hasn't even reached Viridian Forest yet. Besides, an RNG is very likely to start backtracking at some point (50-50 versus moving forwards). The dev's FAQ states that the RNG has a bug that biases it slightly towards up/right inputs, which means it'll probably get stuck in Cerulean (if it even gets that far).

Twitch chat might not progress very fast, but they also don't backtrack very often.  :)

Iunno, twitch chat is in ledges again, and it's officially progressed to "actively fuck with efforts to move forward" levels! Rock tunnel will probably be similarly terrible.

I think it'll be close, but as long as it's popular twitch probably isn't getting anywhere fast.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2014, 12:30:33 am »

...huh. The RNG actually made it to Brock, roughly 15 hours game-time. I'm legitimately impressed. And mildly considering taking back what I said about the stream winning.  :o

EDIT: RNG finally beat Brock! And promptly cancelled Charmander's evolution, whoops. Now, if it can get out of the gym, we can see how Mt. Moon's navigation fares...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:03:48 am by Thexor »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2014, 01:07:10 am »

I was cheering so hard when the RNG beat Brock. It's easy to root for the computer.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2014, 01:11:04 am »

I remember almost 'losing' the game via not having enough cash for Safari Zone. I have a feeling that was a design error since it can throw you back like ~4 hours if you get stuck there. :(
The Safari guard will let you in for free if you don't have enough cash (although I believe you'll have a lot less Safari Balls). Aside from the Safari Zone I imagine the other massive wall would be the strength rock puzzles, especially in Victory Road.

Also in theory it would be possible to see the Missingno glitch. That would be a pretty hilarious goal for the twitch players and would certainly make the stream more interesting. 

EDIT: Looking at the RNG stream it appears to have captured no pokemon and lacks any poke-balls. Cut, strength and surf are required to finish the game. Charmander can only learn cut and strength which means the RNG requires a pokemon capable of surf.
If the RNG bot keeps failing at battles and doesn't have enough money to buy poke-balls it could reach a massive wall which might have the potential of a lose state. In theory even if the bot runs out of money to spend on poke-balls it could still enter the Safari Zone (for free) and capture pokemon in the grass. It's been a while since I've played pokemon so i'm not sure if there are any grass dwelling pokemon in the Safari Zone capable of learning surf.
DOUBLE EDIT: I suppose it's possible that the RNG would eventually find a fishing rod and capture a water pokemon in the SZ meaning that pokemon does indeed have no potential lose state. Although it's likely to have already captured a bunch of non-surf pokemon which would require a computer transfer which would seem to be another massive wall.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:32:57 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2014, 01:30:10 am »

Bumbled the way into the encounters finally.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2014, 01:42:29 am »

Technically, both Kabuto and Omanyte can learn Surf, so either fossil will be enough. Of course, that depends on the RNG getting back to Pewter City to reanimate it...

EDIT: Ledge defeated, Pokemon healed! The tunnel of endless darkness awaits!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 01:47:05 am by Thexor »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2014, 02:29:46 am »

I knew you could make it past ledge twitch

I always believed in you

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2014, 02:32:20 am »

Pidgeotto is starting to run low on health.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2014, 02:38:49 am »

Commence two days of trying to use a potion on it :P

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40:16 am »

Commence two days of trying to use a potion on it :P
No we're fine we blacked out INSIDE a poke center. The voices wouldn't let Red heal.

EDIT: There is now a "followers of the Helix Fossil" steam group.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:48:11 am by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2014, 03:01:46 am »

You can't downvote on the subreddit anymore.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2014, 03:29:54 am »

The main Twitch.tv stream just got past the ledges of Route 9 for the second time.

Then they had one of the Rattatas use Dig in the Rock Tunnel. In Gen I, Dig sends you back to the last Pokemon Center you went to.

EDIT: Oh wait, they're back in the cave somehow. Might've been admin intervention.
Also often called Boowells.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2014, 03:34:22 am »

The main Twitch.tv stream just got past the ledges of Route 9 for the second time.

Then they had one of the Rattatas use Dig in the Rock Tunnel. In Gen I, Dig sends you back to the last Pokemon Center you went to.

EDIT: Oh wait, they're back in the cave somehow. Might've been admin intervention.
Chat's dug out four times, there's a center outside the cave.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2014, 03:38:58 am »

Chat's dug out four times, there's a center outside the cave.

Oh, there is? I thought they had gotten sent back to the last city again for a third go-around of the ledges.
Also often called Boowells.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 180