Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Death May Die- Modern Eldritch Action! Room for one more!  (Read 8421 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Death May Die- Modern Eldritch Action!
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2014, 06:42:26 pm »

Gained a Birdmancy Level!
Birdcount increased to 9!

"Where'd ye take me birdies, ye damned spaceman! Ah'll chain ye t' a rock an' let me pretties pick out ye're liver if'n ye don't give 'em back!"
Interrogate.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »

Jane reached into the glove box and pulled out an old mobile. She swiftly dialed a number - a contact number for her monster hunting organisation.
"You've reached the number for Daniels's Merchandise." A woman's voice said. "How can we help?"
"Redroot." Jane growled.
"Oh! OK, we'll transfer you directly."
She waited for them to transfer them to her CO, snapping a few pictures of the holes in the kid to send. The bossman would probably be rather confused - she was supposed to be on leave, being sent to the "company cottage", as it was called.

Instead she'd given the code for "encountered hostile creature, unknown." Idly she wafted flies away from the kid, putting the chunk of flesh inside it's bag on the dashboard. She tapped a finger against the wound on her arm, appreciating the painkillers. While she waited she swallowed another. Couldn't hurt.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2014, 08:15:18 pm »

"I can see that there are no crews here, now; I was hoping to find them.  And I'm not saying that it's your guys' fault, I just want to learn about where the sharks are concentrated, when they appeared, and so forth.  But since there seems to be no chance of that here, I'm leaving."

Lang walks back towards the landed end of the pier, not directly towards the man blocking his way but not avoiding him either.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2014, 10:58:49 pm »

Sighing an innerly breath of relief, Alfred profusely thanked the german, and subsequently went back to work. With things going as smoothly as they were doing right now, there was a good chance that this could go without incident... as if! After the others left, he would get the sawed-off from his backpack to a much more "at-hands" position.

Getting back to his work, he took out two moleskines in which encoded relevancies to this situation ought to be scattered, and looked for a way to open the tomb. A far less "mechanical" way than the team here almost had planned upon - or should one say "physical", in regards to the presumed nature of the tomb? Either way, now ought to be a good time if there ever was one...

( Seriously investigate this door, search if there could be a ritual or what-not to open it )

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2014, 11:06:56 pm »

"Oh goddamnit."
Dodge the third one when it dive-bombs. If i survive switch to the Barrett and blow the one's nearest to me head off. After if possible whistle for the dog to have it distract the other two.

((The sad thing is if I die this quickly I can't complain because I asked for this.))
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I have no clue what you mean, but you will never get information out of me, Thomas Crews!" Thomas shouts, from his position at the floor. "Now I will make my escape to 214 Church street, where you will never find me! BAHAHAHA!" he continues. He then puts out his hands, pulling himself up into a cartwheel out of your house, right through the open door.

What do you do now?

------------------

...I don't think Jade understands how pain killers work *Shrugs*. I am not sure about the personality of your CO, or how to present him, some advice on his personality would be helpful.
=============

You set about your various activities as the voice of your commanding officer greets you over the phone, a connection having been effectively established. The child next to you continues to sit as motionless as a corpse, flies buzzing away and returning as you wave them off. His wounds still slowly growing, no doubt he has lost enough to at least be crippled if you can't somehow restore the flesh, worse if you can't get some kind of help soon...

What do you do now?

============

"And were exactly did you think they were hiding? Underwater with their shark friends?" he states, as his partner moves himself to more fully block your movement. "And why the hell are you so caught up on "shark activity?"" he asked again, stepping closer almost enough to box you in. "Everyone knows we ain't had a shark bigger then a dog in these waters in twenty years. Ain't enough fish anymore, those idiot fishermen over fished so much I'm surprised there is anything left...."

"...I think he has had enough..." the partner spoke up, finally stepping out of your way. "Got no proof, it ain't like we can just detain him." he continued. "....All right, get the hell off company property. If I see ya again, you will get to see your "shark activity" up close and personal." the man spoke up again, watching you leave.

What do you do now?

==============

You prepare yourself for potential combat, now that you are alone with a bunch of dead guys, bulldozers that randomly hit things, and a strange symbol that is probably magic. Maybe you should have kept someone else around?

At the very least, being alone makes it easy to work. You set about researching any way of opening the tomb. You pull through the encoded (and quite confusing enough without the code) papers, often pulling out anything that looks like it might help. You end up experimenting with several simple rituals, finding no results from any of them.

The door itself seems to be completely stuck. From what you can make out of your papers, it is a sealing ritual, made never to be broken, and was made by something a lot more powerful in magic then you could ever hope to be. From what you can tell-not only would no ritual open it, no ritual or magic would be able to work within twenty feet of the hill. If something did manage to work past the hill, it would likely be weakened, and it would have to be intensely powerful to start with.

Of course, also from what you can tell, the actual physical protection doesn't go beyond the stone. The hill has obviously seen some wear and tear from the sand and other erosion since this rock was placed here. But what would the purpose be of a powerful rock that negates magic? Is it trying to keep something out of the tomb? Something in it? In any case, you suspect it will effect the entirety of the inside.

Even if you do find a way of removing this spell, it may be wise to keep it.

Thinking this, you have another "Eureka!" moment. The answer to canceling out the stone was the stone itself, a powerful magic canceling device. If you could somehow cancel its protection from itself-if even for a nanosecond-it would probably cease working, destroyed by its own powers.

What do you do now?

=======================================

((The sad thing is if I die this quickly I can't complain because I asked for this.))

Psh, you obviously forgot just what kind of game this is.

================

You jump back just as the hybrid beast dives for you, your world traveling in slow motion. You can see the faceless head, shark mouth gnashing at you slowly as it fell, the outstretched hands with prickle like hairs above the pointed claws, each outstretched directly for you. And you can feel the ground below you give way: In slow motion, you tripped. You fall to Earth just as your assailant does (D100 failure! Maybe you really will die here?).

The beast barrels directly into you, claws grazing the side of your torso as the teeth prickle you center mass, holding you to the ground. You are happily surprised at how little damage you received, though the pain stings as if someone was dipping salty lemons on your two-new long cuts. You try to pull your Berrett off your back, quit a difficult thing to do with a monster tackling you to the ground.

But you manage it, whipping out your large rifle and pointing it directly in the face of the monster tackling you to the ground. You do have one advantage in this situation: You can't miss from here. You pull your heavy trigger, creating a .50 caliber hole in the beast's head, sending red blood spraying across your body. The beast goes limp, further pinning you to the ground, but at least you have your gun up this time.

The remaining two monsters make a clicking sound at the death of their comrade, preparing to attack you from both sides, slowly advancing like wolves. You curse again, before trying your best to whistle....Again, your dog shoots back, flying at impressive speed toward the leftmost beast. He jumps up to him, trying to bite at the neck. He gets a nibble but continues his motion with it in his mouth, the flesh is to rotten to hold on to. It drops as the monster silently turns its attentions toward him.

Good dog.

What do you do now?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2014, 07:14:34 pm »

"Nice try, Mr. Crews, but you can't fool me that easily! I'll head to 241 Church Street! But first, I must prepare to storm the heathen observatory! To the Birdcage!"
Music Cue

We must have more power! Begin the construction of Vulcan Prime, a fully-functional mecha-falcon!

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2014, 08:08:03 pm »

((I'm not surprised that dodge failed. Bad agility plus my bad luck equals lots of failed dodges.))

"OH GOD! It stinks even worse close up! How is that possible!"

Tell my dog to just distract him and not to do anything stupid. While I shoot the other one before it murders me because I can't move.

((Now that I think of it I really need to name that dog.))
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2014, 08:18:37 pm »

She's an addict, man, what do you expect?  :P

I'll be honest, I was kinda leaving it up to you. But eh: CO - gruff but caring. He is aware that sacrifices are often needed when fighting monsters, but his dislikes them, and particularly civilian losses. He was the one who ordering her to take leave. Doesn't know about the painkiller addiction, but suspects.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2014, 08:29:27 pm »

The Situation was not in his favour, it would seem. All his knowledge pointed into one direction - and a bad one at that. The seal clearly was designed to keep something inside there, and with the great pains and efforts taken towards that, this "something" ought to have been quite a threat. Whatever it had been - or at worse, still was - seemed to have been kept in check by the surrounding stone, or else such heavy protection would bear no obvious use. If it had been incorporeal, another method of sealing it would have been more probable. Either way, it was a gamble - one that Alfred decided to take.

Taking one of the less-effective calming pills in advance, he set to work. Hoping that the imprisoned thing would be hindered by it, he drew charms upon himself that he deemed effective, sparing no effort on that task. For the door, he made a simple equation. Two minus equal a positive - and since he only needed a small "positive" the minus could be weak as well. Venturing outside for a stone of somewhat matching form to the door, he intended to replicate it. In essence it would at best be a mockery of the real thing, but if he got the basic rights, it would serve the same purpose - and given contact with the real thing, should be able to serve its purpose.

With all the heat given off by the stones, Dr³ Simmer had been sweating since he entered the tomb, but outside it suddenly worsened. Not really because of the temperatures outside thou, no - a simple realization dawned on him. Had he previously chalked up the incident with the bulldozer as incompetence on the side of the workers, he now wondered if it could have been malice instead? Malice by the something in the tomb... he really hoped to overthink things, but what if he did not?

( Draw Protective Charms on myself. Venture outside to craft a mockery of the anti-magic door. Wonder then if the bulldozer already was the foreign power at work.
[Yeah, only dawned on me now. If you had planed something to happen with that, now might be a good chance to board that train.])

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2014, 06:24:42 pm »

When the screen fades back in, you are in the bird cage. You construct the perfect meca-falcon, the size of a dragon. Its bronze feathers sparkle in the sunlight, sending forth a rainbow of color as it flies off into the air, sending fragments of roof raining down. Seconds later, it comes back with Thomas Crews in hand, before devouring him like a mouse. It returns to the air, a sonic boom coming from behind it. It returns with the blood of hundreds on its hands, having completely defeated the enemy.
[Golden Ending!~!11!]
===========
Wait, no. None of that happened.
Turns out that not only do you not have any mechanical skills, blueprints, or anything like that, but you don't have any material. All you have is a ragged shoe string, hand soap, and paper clips.

You go down stairs to fix the fist-sized hole in the floor when you notice something at the bottom-pulling it up, you see that it is blueprints! It is labeled "SUPER-SECRET FUNGUS AMONGUS MECHA FALCON!!!!". You look it over, eyes sparkling. You rush up stairs, collecting the ragged shoelace, hand soap, and paper clips as instructed.

You are not sure what happened in that room. Every time you remember it, you always see the outside of a door, with lights flashing. Random sounds, like a saw, a cat screeching, and finally an old man jogging on a moving car. All that you know is that when you come out of the haze, you have assembled a mecha-falcon. For all intents and purposes it is a regular falcon, except shinier. There is a less then zero possibility that you just kidnapped a random falcon and dumped paint on it.

What do you do now?

=================

((Now that I think of it I really need to name that dog.))

Might be a bad idea to get to attached to him. He has minion status, which conveys a lot of things, the worst of which is that he can not do reactions. If he ends up leveling up, Ill take that status away, but even then dogs in movies have an oddly high mortality rate. Especially if you want to win an Oscar.

====================

You yell at your dog (for all the good that does.) and move your heavy gun toward the next monster, which is seems huge. A shadow is over your body from the massive wings blocking out the sun as they prepare to fly toward you, probably while you are helpless. You manage to aim at it somehow, the bi-pod feeling more like a hindrance then a help at this moment.

You squeeze the trigger twice in quick succession, sending bullets into the nearby trees. Two shots, two misses. You manage to throw off the monster on top of you, while it looks powerful, it is somewhat light. Probably necessary to be able to fly, after all. The second monster is now in the air, again making a swoop toward you, preparing all four deadly appendages as if they were spears.

Meanwhile, your dog is combating the third monster. The monster throws a halfhearted slash far over your dogs head, probably at the height a man's head would be. If anything, it put the dog in a better position to attack. Your dog jumps up again, biting into the bony hand and causing red liquid to build up around its mouth. The creature still doesn't respond, but it looks like it at least got damaged.

What do you do now?

-----------------------

Alright, enough to work with. I don't know whether he normally uses the real or fake name, so I will just use the fake under the assumption he would avoid using real names unless absolutely certain the situation warrants it.

========================

"Jane? What the hell are you calling for? Damnit, don't tell me....*Sigh*. Your a loose cannon, Jane! (.....Had to say it.) Why in the world are you facing unknown monsters right now?" he states, in his deep, gruff, police-chief like voice.

What do you do now?

================

You look through your scattered, encoded, and bizarre notes once again, looking for something that might protect you. You find a poorly scribbled sign that is supposed to work without magic, and decide that it is probably your best choice. You remove some ink from a pen, and begin drawing on yourself. Somehow, your notes mention that this sign could either be a star with a flaming pillar in the middle, or a tree branch like object. Just to be safe, you paint both on your body, up your arms, on your chest, and anywhere else you would like to keep. The technique you use acts as a temporary tattoo- the inc staining your skin just enough to last for a day or two, or one good washing.

If you managed to survive that long, of course. A considerable part of the day has already been wasted, the once high sun is now casting long shadows. You manage to set about looking for a similar stone, wasting an even larger part of the day. There is, of course, no visible stone in the sand dunes nearby, even if there was it would be buried deep, so you stick to the hill the tomb is situated under. Much of this stone has been warn away by the nearby sand, eroding to crumbling rock.

It is by chance that you find a suitable stone, you trip walking up part of the hill, sending you falling several feet with the surrounding stones and dirt. You manage to avoid any injury, the fall was slower then a children's slide, but through up a lot of dust. Once it finally settled, you see the perfect stone, almost an exact replica already of that which you hope to vanquish.

You collect some equipment the workers left here, chisels, pickaxes, and the like and begin carving the rock the best you could, hoping the modern items don't remove the power somehow. You work ferociously and skillfully, somehow finishing an incredibly close approximation just as darkness sets (Rolled a 4 on your "mock the stone" test!).

However, there is no apparent change in either rocks. You still can not chip the one at the bottom, and the one on the top still manages to chip to the slightest blows. Perhaps you need additional spells to make the rock gain its power? You attempt to look over your notes again, yawning, but are unable to see anything. The light is leaving quickly, you are now surrounded by darkness. Maybe it would be best to return to camp for the night?

What do you do now?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2014, 06:44:55 pm »

Ride him to the place and kick down the door.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2014, 06:53:47 pm »

((...... of course I missed twice.))

Snipe the one coming towards me. If I miss roll to the side when it gets near.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:58 pm »

As the Dr. was not about to give up soley because of a little darkness - there are worse thing than darkness, trust him on that - he started searching for a lightsource. There was bound to be a flashlight in the car, or some lamp from the workers lying around. While doing so, he planned the next step in his mind already.

If the magic was only partly in the symbol, he would still need to find the key to activating it. The key could be many things, but luckily it often enough involved a sacrifice of some sort. And of all the possible sacrifices, blood was yet again the most common one - especially in these regions. Should dripping a few drops of blood not have the effect he had hoped for, he could always consult his books for further experiments.

( Get Lightsource. Try to activate the mockery with a small "sacrifice" of blood. On failure contemplate further into that direction.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 07:41:39 pm »

"You tell me, boss." she muttered sullenly. "Found a kid in the woods full of holes and dogs made of smoke. Had to cut a chunk out my arm. Where they hit seems to convert to flies and maggots. Anything like in the database?"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12