Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: misinterpretation  (Read 9056 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
misinterpretation
« on: February 01, 2014, 03:31:21 am »

So I was chilling in a coffee bar with a friend, talking about dwarf fortress.
Suddenly, we were interrupted by a short guy, who was rather upset, for every time he heard the word 'dwarf', he thought we were making fun of him.

This one's for him:

DISCLAIMER:

A "Dwarf" is a fantasy creature.
I am in no way responsible for "little people", as some folks call them
 -myself, I rather call them people, since little people sounds so belittling-
feeling personally insulted by me, mentioning "dwarf" on a regular basis.
If you feel personally insulted by this, just because you suffer from a psychological condition that somehow makes you believe, size does matter,
I can only confirm once more, that I am just blabbering about fantasy creatures, and in no way do I identify those with real people, regardless of their size.
If this disclaimer has thus far failed to convince you, that I am not talking about you, I need to add:
"GROW UP"

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: misinterpretation
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 03:36:20 am »

How did you explain it to him?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 03:37:06 am »

Couldn't, he was too drunk.

Hmm, come to think of it, maybe it was a dwarf after all XD
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 03:50:16 am »

If this disclaimer has thus far failed to convince you, that I am not talking about you, I need to add:
"GROW UP"

"GROW UP"
Oh jeez
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:30:37 pm »

We're in an age of political correctness that has gone a little too far into "Serious Business" territory. Basically, in an era where we aim to not offend, people will still be offended (and others aim to offend for the (ev/l)ulz)), even when you're dodging offending them in the first place.

I used to accept the PC era when it was doing well, but once it went overboard, I stopped caring and tell things as they are. If you get offended, wake up and accept what's around you and who you are. If you can accept yourself for all your flaws and etc. and even joke about them yourself, then everyone, including yourself, don't have to walk on eggshells 24/7 as to "not offend anyone".

Some people just want to complain, so even if you never meant to offend or anything, they'll take offense regardless. To those types, I agree on the sentiment of growing the fuck up.

EDIT:
Looking back, in some cases where some comedians and such aim to offend, I do agree on the satire bit, and trying to loosen up the offended party by offending them directly, and calling them out on how ridiculous they're behaving for such superficial reasons, or in some cases, how childish they're being. Of course, there are still the kinds of assholes in society that aren't trying to loosen someone up by getting them in on the joking, and are indeed outright bullying them. Where that's concerned, that's not cool. Basically, I miss the good ol' days where the main premise of being PC basically means "stop being a dick to everyone", instead of "everything is offensive/we don't want to alert terrorists/censor everything because we don't like it, even though the party we claim would be offended are not offended one bit, but we want to feel good about ourselves for helping them out even though they don't need it (nor want it).", and my favorite alibi, "Think of the children." (I hate that argument, because you're just as bad as who you claim are hurting the children, and using them for your own personal purposes. In other words, I'm calling the kettle black on this one (or words to that effect from a more innocent 3rd-person/party/outside-observer perspective)).

EDIT EDIT:
People in glass houses shouldn't cast/throw stones, was probably what I meant.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 02:07:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:18:23 pm »

So you were accosted by a short angry drunken man for some perceived slight?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:49:53 pm »

Yeah you would think that a DF player would be uniquely qualified to handle exactly martinuzz's situation.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »

We live in the Age of Outrage, where most people still don't want to talk to you but will not hesitate to tell you you're wrong.

Sadly the real world is starting to seem like the comments section of a news article more and more every day.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:04:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 07:24:59 pm »

That's because all the general stupid people and old farts with ignorant outdated opinions and shitty frat bros all used to keep their traps shut. Then they all started posting comments on Youtube and news sites. Emboldened by the success of posting their incoherent religious screeds and racist vomit online, they more commonly open their mouths in public.

It's the same people expelling the same bullshit, just lacking shame.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:53 pm »

That's because all the general stupid people and old farts with ignorant outdated opinions and shitty frat bros all used to keep their traps shut. Then they all started posting comments on Youtube and news sites. Emboldened by the success of posting their incoherent religious screeds and racist vomit online, they more commonly open their mouths in public.

It's the same people expelling the same bullshit, just lacking shame.
I believe you may be confusing causation with correlation.

Also the insult-to-word ratio of that post is too high.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:36:12 pm »

I thought it might be, and you're astute to point that out. That is a very good observation. I'll try to post a couple things that are entirely positive and have actual compliments to balance it out.

EDIT: I like your avatar, it makes me think of a Dark World Ronald McDonald and that makes me happy.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 07:55:34 pm »

Walk a mile in his shoes before you judge him.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 07:59:33 pm »

That's a poetic suggestion, but I'm too judgmental so I'd be wearing seven pairs at once and nobody ever wants to part with their shoes.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 08:15:26 pm »

Maybe try punching your judgmental side in the gut.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 08:27:07 pm »

That's a legitimate suggestion. But punching doesn't solve our problems! We need to stay positive!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8