Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: misinterpretation  (Read 9044 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: misinterpretation
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 05:26:36 am »

Related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7smLPz2GY

Mozart hated trumpets, and is said to have thrown ragefits at their sound as well. I think that's the world's first person with a Mozart complex.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 06:14:24 am »

Related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha7smLPz2GY

Mozart hated trumpets, and is said to have thrown ragefits at their sound as well. I think that's the world's first person with a Mozart complex.

I may be mixing up my composers horrifically, but... wasn't Mozart deaf?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 06:18:33 am »

You're thinking of Beethoven, who lost his hearing later in his life.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 08:03:17 am »

Look, there's PC and then there's ridiculousness. People who make the argument of "I don't have to be PC, you just need to stop being offended", I can safely say, are probably cis white males who have only ever maybe been called random insults because of relatively minor things. The word tranny offends me because I am trans, and said word has been used to belittle and mock me and people like me for decades, just like I'm sure Richard Sherman didn't appreciate hundreds of people on twitter calling him a nigger. Then you have people who get offended at the term Mexican, even though they're from Mexico. While I don't think the word Mexican should be used to describe someone of Hispanic origin when you don't know exactly where they hail from, the word Mexican is not, in and of itself, offensive. I know some people who get offended at the term "black people" and prefer "people of color", and I also know people who are fine with the prior term and refer to themselves as such.
In any case, my point is that in my opinion, it's good to be PC up to a point. You shouldn't be bending over backwards to please every single perceived minority, but a little common courtesy is nice to have.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 09:13:59 am »

I dont like the whole "Walk a mile in their shoes"-thing. Im aware that there are people spouting racist/sexist/whatever comments and then hide behind the whole "Its not my problem you're offended"-BS.

But situations like the OP described are awfully common, and not allways in the same ridicolous fashion where it comes down to a misunderstanding. As long as im not adressing these people or a crowd directly, or actually try to promote any hateful agenda, I shouldnt have to censor anything I say on the OFFCHANCE that someone comes up and whines into my face for 5 minutes.

I forgot how many times the comment section of a Webcomic or a show on Youtube turned into a Battlefield of "Offended"-People crying foul at a joke or sketch. Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation caused a massive argument after making a joke around Transgender. Keep in mind, Yahtzee being a guy that regularly writes jokes about pretty much anything (Including the Holocaust and Rape), but with transgender, appearantly a line was crossed.

It just seems like such hypocrisy. "You can make fun of everyone and everything else, but not about ME!"
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 09:54:56 am »

Can you show me an example of a rape joke that Yahtzee has made? I can't think of any.
The trans joke he made wasn't so much funny as it was offensive and in poor taste. He was basically implying that trans women aren't really women, and when he realized how much it actually offended people, he changed it. It wasn't that he wrote a joke that was intentionally hateful and changed it to save face, it was that he actually didn't know just how offensive it was until people pointed it out and explained it to him.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 10:13:25 am »

Can you show me an example of a rape joke that Yahtzee has made? I can't think of any.

THe one with the Mexican Lady in Call of "CHUAREZ - The Cartel" is one I can think of right away, altough i'd have to rewatch a few Vids to mention more.

The trans joke he made wasn't so much funny as it was offensive and in poor taste. He was basically implying that trans women aren't really women, and when he realized how much it actually offended people, he changed it. It wasn't that he wrote a joke that was intentionally hateful and changed it to save face, it was that he actually didn't know just how offensive it was until people pointed it out and explained it to him.

So the "Wiping off a dead babys face with tissue that has a Holocaust-Denial written on it.", or the one with the two pregnant women in an arena were in perfectly fine taste? His numerous Jabs at america, Homosexuality and sexism are allright? But one joke about Transgender and we start lighting torches and throwing forks?

To me, this is Hypocrisy. You cant argue that "given minority X" is in any way special and thus can never be subject of a joke or sketch, while all others can.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 12:23:35 pm »

THe one with the Mexican Lady in Call of "CHUAREZ - The Cartel" is one I can think of right away, altough i'd have to rewatch a few Vids to mention more.
Where? I don't see anything even closely resembling a rape joke anywhere in that episode.

So the "Wiping off a dead babys face with tissue that has a Holocaust-Denial written on it.", or the one with the two pregnant women in an arena were in perfectly fine taste? His numerous Jabs at america, Homosexuality and sexism are allright? But one joke about Transgender and we start lighting torches and throwing forks?
I'm not saying "it's okay to make fun of certain things", I'm saying that there's a certain context to most of his jokes that was different in the trans joke. Besides, dead baby jokes are made for shock value, they aren't specifically made to insult babies.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »

This brings up another question. Can a baby actually be offended at a baby joke. Or even better, can you offend a dead baby.

We need some babies, both dead and alive. Enough to have a testing group and a control group.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 12:43:10 pm »

I think people gettign offended at something is fair enough. What I do disagree with is getting offended on behalf on someone else, when the person you're getting offended for might not intepret it that way or even care if you do.

Let them speak first if they're offended. Don't tell them "You should find this offensive."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2014, 03:45:33 pm »

Yahtzee actually apologized for the trans joke, which I found admirable.

I'm pretty sensitive on that topic but the video in question didn't offend me. I took the evil protesters with transphobic signs to just be generic visual gags about the evil establishment in the game. Racist ones would've been exactly the same.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2014, 04:41:18 pm »

Where? I don't see anything even closely resembling a rape joke anywhere in that episode.

I'm not saying "it's okay to make fun of certain things", I'm saying that there's a certain context to most of his jokes that was different in the trans joke. Besides, dead baby jokes are made for shock value, they aren't specifically made to insult babies.

I checked it, and it was actually the Bound in Blood one. He makes a jig at the talent of western-style love interests managing to almost getting raped by everyone they meet.

Anyway, we'll gonna agree to disagree then I guess. I could agree that a lot of his comedy is in pretty bad taste (But still hillarious), but cherry picking comments until the particular group you belong to gets their share is just childish. And thats what a lot of people did after the Vid and in similiar situations. (I can think of other examples like Penny Arcade's Dick Wolves. Altough I think in that case the response from the artists was the actual flamewar-cause, not the thing itself.)

Yathzee decided to apologize afterwards, so its largely irrelevant what I think about the thing anyway, the outrage before his apology was just a good example of what I mean.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:56 pm »

It's not cherry picking, it's just noticing.  People are more aware of their own issues than they are of other people's issues.  They need to be able to speak up about the things that affect themselves, or else people that are outside of their groups will never know.

Does anyone know if the Dick Wolves thing was supposed to be poking fun at Dick Wolf, the "Law & Order" producer, possibly for "Law & Order:  SVU"?  I can see how such a joke would be too convoluted, and just come across as very crass, at best.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 05:48:13 pm »

Does anyone know if the Dick Wolves thing was supposed to be poking fun at Dick Wolf, the "Law & Order" producer, possibly for "Law & Order:  SVU"?  I can see how such a joke would be too convoluted, and just come across as very crass, at best.

No, it was simply a joke about Questing in a lot of MMORPGS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/markwahlberg/blog/on-dickwolves/58045/

The first one is the comic in question, the second one the response. I've never actually read anyone linking it to Law & Order, altough its not impossible, I would highly doubt it was the target. And I think the dudes from penny Arcade never mentioned anything about it being the case. I could be wrong tough.

It's not cherry picking, it's just noticing.  People are more aware of their own issues than they are of other people's issues.  They need to be able to speak up about the things that affect themselves, or else people that are outside of their groups will never know.

I dont know. Just doesnt sit well with me and seems very egoistical. People sit there enjoying content, laughing at jokes on the expense of others. Until that magical point where it actually insults themselves. And suddenly is a big deal, and appearantly so big that you can demand the artist to change his content, demand apologies, unsubscribe/write nasty comments/whatever.

I really like Zero Punctuation, and I think it would be incredibly backwards of me to bash it the moment it takes a stab at a stereotype or lifestyle that applies to me (Which it has, multiple times. Some of them worse than others.). First of all its just a joke, and second my problems and issues arent some kind of "Holy grail of sorrows" noone is allowed to joke about.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 05:54:02 pm »

"If you're offended by any word, in any language, it's probably because your parents were unfit to raise a child" - Doug Stanhope, excellent comedian.

That is somewhat extreme (and highly offensive). However, we HAVE come to live in an age of almost hypersensitivity when it comes to being offended by language. There's something to be said for verbal abuse, but the truth of the world is that, honestly, some things are funny. Even if they're inappropriate. Further more, when people make jokes, they often bare no malice towards the subject, even if the joke is mean. Just remember that.

EDIT: I've probably offended a boatload of people now, haven't I? D:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:57:30 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8