Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496823 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32610 on: September 20, 2016, 02:30:08 pm »

Some cases could be solved by combining branches. For instance, an arm with 50 hands holding 50 swords can't do 50 attacks, because the hand is not what's doing the attack, it's just holding the weapon. If you try to swing it, you're swinging a single weapon consisting of 50 swords, which requires ungodly amounts of strength on that one arm, and does not do 50 times the amount of damage a single sword does.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32611 on: September 20, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »

Some cases could be solved by combining branches. For instance, an arm with 50 hands holding 50 swords can't do 50 attacks, because the hand is not what's doing the attack, it's just holding the weapon. If you try to swing it, you're swinging a single weapon consisting of 50 swords, which requires ungodly amounts of strength on that one arm, and does not do 50 times the amount of damage a single sword does.
So fifty swords for 1 attack or fifty weak attacks from one good sword?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32612 on: September 20, 2016, 03:38:45 pm »

There are a few alternatives to prevent Sy-ing.

First is restricting the max number of structural parts on a limb. It's simple, does the job, but is a bit artificial to say "no, limbs no longer than 5."

Second is making it unreasonably expensive to build outside the norm, but even then whats to stop a sy from leveling toward omni-limb and breaking things? No, we need a way where it makes sense to spread your powers out and not just dump all power into a single limb.

Third is that maybe we can make it that the longer a limb is, the less of a bonus it provides? It makes biological sense, actually; even if a limb is strong, you get the square cubed rule and suddenly that strength is being used just to move it. But then we hit strange things; does it mean that a part at the end of the limb just gives less? Or is it an over all decrease? And by what? It's something to consider, at least.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32613 on: September 20, 2016, 03:49:16 pm »

Decreasing speed makes more sense to me, honestly. IE, you can put a lot of muscle mass behind stuff, but it gets really unwieldy for obvious reasons (also, not getting hit also falls under speed, right? That should be fun when someone decides it's time to chop the uberlimb off).

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32614 on: September 20, 2016, 04:37:54 pm »

Second is making it unreasonably expensive to build outside the norm, but even then whats to stop a sy from leveling toward omni-limb and breaking things? No, we need a way where it makes sense to spread your powers out and not just dump all power into a single limb.

Let him if it means he's weaker on other areas.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32615 on: September 20, 2016, 07:52:37 pm »

Let him if it means he's weaker on other areas.
The problem is that the omnilimb, if it reaches a certain critical mass of speed and strength, becomes nearly unstoppable. Or at least it gets to the point that the only thing that will stop it is dumb luck. Or supremely powerful opponents.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32616 on: September 20, 2016, 07:59:11 pm »

Are overshoots a thing in this system? Or does solidly passing a check always ≈5?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32617 on: September 20, 2016, 08:02:00 pm »

Are overshoots a thing in this system? Or does solidly passing a check always ≈5?
Not a thing in this system, though I suppose they could be? But that would mean that a high level character would basically unavoidably over shoot any normal roll. When you have +80 and a d100 roll with a target of 100, you're kinda screwed in terms of "bullseye-ing" it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32618 on: September 20, 2016, 09:21:44 pm »

Omnilimb actually isn't quite that bad.  The first one I made only gave +50 spd, compared to a normal leg's +25.  That's only an extra 25% chance to dodge vs. a similarly leveled character, which while significant, isn't gamebreaking.  Perhaps if some limbs give very high stat bonuses, it could get worse?

In any case, it's heavily nerfed by not being able to dodge and attack with the same limb, which is a logical restriction.  That forces me to choose between several more multiattacks, or slightly more dodging, and if I choose the former it becomes very easy to sever the whole limb.

One restriction could be to say that functional parts with strength bonuses can have extra armor put on them, accounting for the increased strength, but such parts won't let you armor other parts more heavily.  Such a rule wouldn't significantly affect strength-builds, but would hinder speed builds (which are already OP in comparison, due to multiattacks Unless speed weapons have a fraction the power of str weapons?) slightly by making them easily-dismembered glass cannons.  The omni-limb strategy literally falls apart with one strong, well-aimed hit.

I like the suggestion of making bonuses give less the longer a limb is.  Diminishing returns would be cool.

Hmm.  I have some a question about Heart.  The chest and gut grant +10 heart each; is this only used for heart saves, which means you don't regen an extra 30 humanity per turn thanks to the extra 20 heart?  I've been assuming that the heart bonus affects your base heart stat rather than the way str and spd bonuses apply only to rolls, but that just leads to way too many exploits.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Made another one (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #32619 on: September 21, 2016, 02:32:58 am »

From what I understand, speed weapons do less damage. Speed weapons are also ranged weapons, so hopefully piecewise will make them rare, with low ammo or hard to use. Otherwise, if speed weapons are equal to strength weapons, speed is op since you can attack AND dodge with it. Maybe you could fix that by making strength also give you a bonus to avoid damage. Rename strength to body and have it act as strength + endurance in ER terms. Or maybe allow people to carry shields. But that would add more complexity.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32620 on: September 21, 2016, 03:02:44 am »

str 100
dex 75
int 25
hrt 0

Totally human bodyplan, stabs the abominations with a spear. Including ones supposedly on their own side.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32621 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:42 am »

str 100
dex 75
int 25
hrt 0

Totally human bodyplan, stabs the abominations with a spear. Including ones supposedly on their own side.
doesn't this turn into a demon upon character creation due to max humanity being zero, therefore humanity hit zero, therefore becomes a demon?
don't you need at least a hrt of 1?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32622 on: September 21, 2016, 10:25:48 am »

From what I understand, speed weapons do less damage. Speed weapons are also ranged weapons, so hopefully piecewise will make them rare, with low ammo or hard to use. Otherwise, if speed weapons are equal to strength weapons, speed is op since you can attack AND dodge with it. Maybe you could fix that by making strength also give you a bonus to avoid damage. Rename strength to body and have it act as strength + endurance in ER terms. Or maybe allow people to carry shields. But that would add more complexity.
Speed weapons may have comparable base damage in some instances but they don't get any bonus damage from stats. Strength weapons deal base damage + the difference between the attacker and defender's rolls. So you can do 25+50 damage or something.  Where as speed weapons would just be 25 damage every time.

Omnilimb actually isn't quite that bad.  The first one I made only gave +50 spd, compared to a normal leg's +25.  That's only an extra 25% chance to dodge vs. a similarly leveled character, which while significant, isn't gamebreaking.  Perhaps if some limbs give very high stat bonuses, it could get worse?

In any case, it's heavily nerfed by not being able to dodge and attack with the same limb, which is a logical restriction.  That forces me to choose between several more multiattacks, or slightly more dodging, and if I choose the former it becomes very easy to sever the whole limb.

One restriction could be to say that functional parts with strength bonuses can have extra armor put on them, accounting for the increased strength, but such parts won't let you armor other parts more heavily.  Such a rule wouldn't significantly affect strength-builds, but would hinder speed builds (which are already OP in comparison, due to multiattacks Unless speed weapons have a fraction the power of str weapons?) slightly by making them easily-dismembered glass cannons.  The omni-limb strategy literally falls apart with one strong, well-aimed hit.

I like the suggestion of making bonuses give less the longer a limb is.  Diminishing returns would be cool.

Hmm.  I have some a question about Heart.  The chest and gut grant +10 heart each; is this only used for heart saves, which means you don't regen an extra 30 humanity per turn thanks to the extra 20 heart?  I've been assuming that the heart bonus affects your base heart stat rather than the way str and spd bonuses apply only to rolls, but that just leads to way too many exploits.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Made another one (click to show/hide)
Looks like that humanity spending cap may either be drastically lowered, made much more expensive or the mechanic may be entirely removed. Because it's op as is. Starting characters shouldn't be able to get 6 attacks.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32623 on: September 21, 2016, 11:02:04 am »

Actually...the better way to do it would be to change the way humanity regen works. Instead of regening an amount, we could make it so that regen works by turns. Ie, higher humanity makes it so you regen more often. So you can dump that 100 humanity into an attack and get 6 attacks or whatever, but it will take a while to recover from it.

And we can throw the amount each part restores under another stat, if one stat seems underpowered.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32624 on: September 21, 2016, 11:16:03 am »

Yeah, I think it's OP as is.  The best fix would probably be to simply lower the amount you regen from human parts; right now, you regen 75% of your max every turn, assuming you have all your original parts.  That means humanity is less of a stat and more of a very quickly regenerating mana or stamina bar.

As for spd weapons, if they have the same base damage as str weapons, they're OP.  You pretty much can't make multiple str attacks, because that requires branching into speed on the same limb that's focused on str, and spending more stat points on spd.  If I have +139 spd, I get four guaranteed attacks, quadrupling damage, regardless of who I'm hitting.  With Str, I get one attack, and have to rely on my foe having low dodge to do massive damage.  Also, if they only have one dodge roll, my success is more luck based, and easier for them to use special abilities to mitigate (note that my char can make two dodges at 169, while forcing three dodges).  Multiple attacks are also more useful for many weaker opponents, or for sandpapering through many weak limbs, or for applying status effects that aren't damage based.

Not to mention that having high spd means you also have high dodge.  I've been avoiding bringing that up (and building a str char) because you haven't given rules on how armor works.  Maybe str-builds are much more viable due to armor, if it's objectively superior to dodging.

...Damn ninja.
Pages: 1 ... 2173 2174 [2175] 2176 2177 ... 2205