Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2153 2154 [2155] 2156 2157 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491306 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32310 on: September 03, 2016, 08:27:26 am »

I actually find PW's more systems-driven stuff to be very fun, OZ. Like Perplexicon 2.0. It was very fun for me to read about all the shit that those wizards were up to.

My request for next PW game: must have wizards.
We could run a game of "WIZARDS!"

http://docdro.id/Ls9qtKO

It's got weird shit, free form magic and leveling up mutates you!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32311 on: September 03, 2016, 08:46:44 am »

That looks promising.

I actually find PW's more systems-driven stuff to be very fun, OZ. Like Perplexicon 2.0. It was very fun for me to read about all the shit that those wizards were up to.

My request for next PW game: must have wizards.
Wh-which one of those I was discussing would you consider systems driven?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32312 on: September 03, 2016, 08:50:19 am »

Wizards looks promising. I'm still really iffy on the whole "health as a buffer and then strenght as actual damage, with critical damage rolls every time" thing. Call me old fashioned, but I like straight up hp or chunky salsa more. Not that that really matters much.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32313 on: September 03, 2016, 08:52:35 am »

im down for wizards.

save me a seat and a pointy hat if we go that route.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32314 on: September 03, 2016, 08:59:07 am »

Wizards looks promising. I'm still really iffy on the whole "health as a buffer and then strenght as actual damage, with critical damage rolls every time" thing. Call me old fashioned, but I like straight up hp or chunky salsa more. Not that that really matters much.
The health as a buffer then strength as actual damage is probably the most old school version of RPG health there is. Most OSR games still use it; like "The Black Hack".

In any case, there's also an idea I've been toying with for a long time called "FLESH" which involves players starting as boring old humans and becoming more powerful by replacing their body parts and organs with weird inhuman guts that give them special powers and abilities.  Sort of the same modular construction as the pacific rim game but on your specific character and much more gooey and cronenbergian.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32315 on: September 03, 2016, 09:04:08 am »

The health as a buffer then strength as actual damage is probably the most old school version of RPG health there is. Most OSR games still use it; like "The Black Hack".

In any case, there's also an idea I've been toying with for a long time called "FLESH" which involves players starting as boring old humans and becoming more powerful by replacing their body parts and organs with weird inhuman guts that give them special powers and abilities.  Sort of the same modular construction as the pacific rim game but on your specific character and much more gooey and cronenbergian.
Well, call me new fashioned then. Or just a contrarian dick, whatever works.

That also sounds good, I'm a fan of Igor'ing it up. But really, I'm sure anything you'll run will sound good to us lot. That's kinda why we've hung around, right?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32316 on: September 03, 2016, 09:17:26 am »

Hmm...could perplexicon it up and have a simple player fighting ring with horrible mutations instead of magic...Basically Xan battledome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32317 on: September 03, 2016, 09:21:44 am »

Hmm...could perplexicon it up and have a simple player fighting ring with horrible mutations instead of magic...Basically Xan battledome.
...the word "PokeXan" drifts unbidden into my mind for some reason.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32318 on: September 03, 2016, 09:29:52 am »

What about that Magical Girl thing that you ran? I recall having tremendous fun botching a roll, getting my head crushed, destroying the bridge and sending my enemy through multiple buildings, then tearing off my own hand to cushion my fall only to be vaporised by my enemy having turned into a being of pure light.
That said, I'd be happy failing at playing whatever you run.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32320 on: September 03, 2016, 09:50:15 am »

...the word "PokeXan" drifts unbidden into my mind for some reason.
I did have that game about building fighting animals via injections....

Piecewise has so many systems all the time.  >.<

Honestly, I would just like it if Oro were finished up and a testing game of that were run.  We've gotten a taste of NuER, let's try the other system that was promised.
Thats the other option; I just disappear for a while and come back with Oro in a more complete state.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32321 on: September 03, 2016, 09:54:19 am »

Thats the other option; I just disappear for a while and come back with Oro in a more complete state.

Probably the one you want to go for. See if you can trim down Oro's systems to a state that doesn't fill you with pure GMing dread.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32322 on: September 03, 2016, 10:09:33 am »

While I admit the idea of Xan Thunderdome or fighting cthuloid monsters in giant mecha intrigues me, I agree that refining Oro's probably the better route for you, especially since medical school (IIRC that's what you're doing anyhow) is imminently going to do its best to devour your time like a morbidly obese hourglass.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32323 on: September 03, 2016, 11:21:56 am »

Old fashioned straight HP goes right back to the original D&D, if not further.

Flesh sounds kinda like a human version of the construct game that was put up for vote alongside oro and ERII. It was the one I preferred over the others. No one else did.

I'm not really into a Xan Arena idea. ER works in part because it made room for multiple playstyles and goals and whatnot. the ending read like the ending of a real sci fi (soft sci fi) series, because of the varied characters, goals, and methods to achieve those goals.

I like Wizards, but not straight up arena dueling because, unless you trickle players in constantly, it starts out with a lot of players, and then over time fewer and fewer players are able to participate, leaving the others to wait and twiddle their thumbs . And if players trickle in, there's the risk of power apartheid. Of course, I have little to no familiarity with perplexicon, and I hear that was highly successful, so ...

Maybe i'm just holding out for a flexible, long term, immersiom experience. I don't know.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32324 on: September 03, 2016, 11:23:10 am »

I like Oro the best so far, compared to these. They just don't feel like they'd hold my attention very long.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 2153 2154 [2155] 2156 2157 ... 2205