Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492461 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #27435 on: January 25, 2016, 12:46:57 am »

I noted a possibility and immediately thought "This forum is PG-13, not happening", if that's what you mean...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27436 on: January 25, 2016, 12:47:53 am »

I noted it as a possibility and immediately thought "This forum is PG-13, not happening."
....What in the hell were you thinking!?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27437 on: January 25, 2016, 02:03:31 am »

I noted it as a possibility and immediately thought "This forum is PG-13, not happening."
oh we are totally putting things inside you.

for science.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27438 on: January 25, 2016, 02:05:13 am »

oh we are totally putting things inside you.

for science.
...Damn it all run while you still can abigail.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27439 on: January 25, 2016, 02:28:42 am »

Faith.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27440 on: January 25, 2016, 02:33:51 am »

Faith.
Oh God NO!! :'(

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27441 on: January 25, 2016, 07:37:09 am »

GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27442 on: January 25, 2016, 08:18:36 am »

The real question is, if the universe is being devoured/twisted beyond recognition and escape is everyone's last hope of survival, why would anyone worry about killing civilians? Might as well kill the lot of 'em who won't come with you, that way they won't need to suffer some strange, eldritch death when existence implodes.
Unless you don't Believe the Steve.
Some bullshit called morality, I think.
Morality is subjective.

Doubly so in a galaxy with non-human creatures. A society like that of the Haebi or other societies featuring high interconnection might consider the death of an individual meaningless or even necessary. Edit: Or, as seen in "The man in the High Castle", a society might come to find things like genocide and euthanasia of the sick acceptable.

For example, I might say that ensuring the survival of humanity overrides everything else, so nothing done to help humanity survive is immoral. On the other hand, being inefficient in helping humanity is the most immoral thing one can do. So from my perspective, you the Jedi are evil.
Opening up a huge philosophical debate there. Some worldviews hold that morality is not, in fact, subjective. Some hold that it simply does not exist.

But for the greater portion of the world, people hold that there is a morality that guides their actions - a morality that comes from a source greater than themselves, or any one society. The application of that universal morality may be situational, but in general they hold that morality is itself, a stable and ruling factor. So, the answer, "Morality," to the question, "why would anyone worry about killing innocents if the universe is dying?" remains valid.
I think you are proving my point. You said it yourself that different people have different morals, different views about morality. So while people may think morality is something that should be absolute, the fact that different morals exist proves that it is not.

So saying that something shouldn't be done because morality exists seems wrong to me. Saying "this shouldn't be done because it goes against my morals seems more correct.

.. unless I have completely misunderstood what those words mean in English, in which case I'm sorry about the  misunderstanding.
I am arguing that the point is up for debate.
You say "morality is relative." Another says "Morality is absolute." A third says "there is no morality."
If there is no morality, then morality is neither relative nor objective. It is nonexistent.
If there is an absolute morality a0 people can and will get it wrong, and can and will deliberately go against it. Since there are many people, and many ways to get it wrong, many people each have a different view of a morality which is beyond them. this does not prove that morality is relative - only that people act in relative ways regarding it.

I am arguing that the point is open for debate.

I am not arguing a particular side. If I were, I would say morality is absolute, like mathematical truth. But like mathematical truth, there are variables, and morality is complex. This is my view. I have reasons, which I won't go into here, because philosophy, theology, science, and ethics.

If I were arguing a point, I would say that claiming morality is relative is much the same as claiming that there is no morality, only social norms, which are descriptive of behavior, rather than a rule to go by.

So to sum up:
1)saying "different people have different views of morality" does not prove that morality is relative, it only demonstrates that people are different. It has literally no evidentiary value for the discussion.
and
2) My point was that this can become a big argument, if someone who disagrees with you wishes to make it so. be careful about making absolute truth statements like that.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27443 on: January 25, 2016, 08:48:54 am »

"saying "different people have different views of morality" does not prove that morality is relative, it only demonstrates that people are different. It has literally no evidentiary value for the discussion."

If you give a source of morality other than humans, yeah, perhaps.

Always been suspiscious of people who did that.
One wheel short of a wagon

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #27444 on: January 25, 2016, 08:54:19 am »

I think this is just a misunderstanding and we're talking about different things. It's a bit hard when using words to describe concepts (or at least I find it hard). I understand morality as a general description for the various moral systems in existence. A superset, if you will. Hence why I disagreed about it being used as a reason for something, since when most people talk about morality, they actually talk about something relative, a subset someone or some people have chosen. You seem to have a different understanding/views about what that word should mean and I have no intention of forcing my views on it to you, just like I don't force people to write armo(u)r in British or American style.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:56:44 am by Parisbre56 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27445 on: January 25, 2016, 09:06:06 am »

Hey Radio.

Wheres my giant diamond middle finger at?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27446 on: January 25, 2016, 09:36:29 am »

I think this is just a misunderstanding and we're talking about different things. It's a bit hard when using words to describe concepts (or at least I find it hard). I understand morality as a general description for the various moral systems in existence. A superset, if you will. Hence why I disagreed about it being used as a reason for something, since when most people talk about morality, they actually talk about something relative, a subset someone or some people have chosen. You seem to have a different understanding/views about what that word should mean and I have no intention of forcing my views on it to you, just like I don't force people to write armo(u)r in British or American style.
Fair enough.

"saying "different people have different views of morality" does not prove that morality is relative, it only demonstrates that people are different. It has literally no evidentiary value for the discussion."

If you give a source of morality other than humans, yeah, perhaps.

Always been suspiscious of people who did that.
I do.

@Comrade P. Dester would certainly havea job for your character, if he had heard your speech about some in the ARM having committed atrocities, and your desire to be filthy rich and to steal people.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27447 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:29 am »

just like I don't force people to write armo(u)r in Canadian or American style.

Fixed =P ((Just kidding around, I know that Canadian style basically emulates British style))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27448 on: January 25, 2016, 09:44:48 am »

Wait we're stealing people now?
I love stealing people, who are we stealing?
can I come steal people too? I have my own private dimension we can hide them in.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #27449 on: January 25, 2016, 10:18:39 am »

@Comrade P. Dester would certainly havea job for your character, if he had heard your speech about some in the ARM having committed atrocities, and your desire to be filthy rich and to steal people.

And what would he pay with? Tokens? I doubt those have any value outside of Sword.
I'm not saying I wouldn't hear it out, I'm just genuinely curious, given Vladimir is about to convert his tokens into Arranger and Arranger ammunition to hold back alien fuckery at least to some degree until he gets back too his home system at least, and be gone.
And I just mentioned he did human trafficing. He just picked up a container full of people at planet A and delivered it to planet B. He has no expertise in abduction business.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 1828 1829 [1830] 1831 1832 ... 2205