Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1824 1825 [1826] 1827 1828 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492443 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #27375 on: January 24, 2016, 06:22:48 pm »

The real question is, if the universe is being devoured/twisted beyond recognition and escape is everyone's last hope of survival, why would anyone worry about killing civilians? Might as well kill the lot of 'em who won't come with you, that way they won't need to suffer some strange, eldritch death when existence implodes.
Unless you don't Believe the Steve.
Some bullshit called morality, I think.
Morality is subjective.

Doubly so in a galaxy with non-human creatures. A society like that of the Haebi or other societies featuring high interconnection might consider the death of an individual meaningless or even necessary. Edit: Or, as seen in "The man in the High Castle", a society might come to find things like genocide and euthanasia of the sick acceptable.

For example, I might say that ensuring the survival of humanity overrides everything else, so nothing done to help humanity survive is immoral. On the other hand, being inefficient in helping humanity is the most immoral thing one can do. So from my perspective, you the Jedi are evil.

Name meanings for characters anyone?
Flint means flint.
Westwood means wood of the west.
I know, it's really deep.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:24:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27376 on: January 24, 2016, 06:25:58 pm »

No we have Determinition and it's far too strong.
*suspicious gaze*
About meaning - none.
Names for Project Wunderkinder are assigned at random, so I did same.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #27377 on: January 24, 2016, 06:26:26 pm »

If "Hasala Nabin" has any actual meaning, I'd be surprised. I just made up something that sounded vaguely Arabic. I did name my first character, Felix, on purpose; his name meant "luck". He died on his first mission when his stasis pod malfunctioned and didn't negate the massive g-forces of hitting a warship in orbit after being fired from a railgun on Hephaestus' surface.

I suppose I should have specified good luck.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27378 on: January 24, 2016, 06:27:21 pm »

Yes it was a undertale reference.
If "Hasala Nabin" has any actual meaning, I'd be surprised. I just made up something that sounded vaguely Arabic. I did name my first character, Felix, on purpose; his name meant "luck". He died on his first mission when his stasis pod malfunctioned and didn't negate the massive g-forces of hitting a warship in orbit after being fired from a railgun on Hephaestus' surface.

I suppose I should have specified good luck.
Irony.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27379 on: January 24, 2016, 06:30:39 pm »

Pancaek stems from a long line of people with misspelled foodstuffs as names. His grandfather was Waffel Nilys the burnt. His great grandfather was Oatmael Nilys the plain. He can trace his lineage back to the esteemd knight-errant Custadr Nilys the delicious. The idea was that the father would first bestow a misspelled foodstuff as a name, then an adjective once the son comes of age. His dad changed his name to Randy Nilys before Pan was born though, disgracing the name and ending the tradition, a sore point for Pan who rather looked up to his grandpa.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27380 on: January 24, 2016, 06:37:45 pm »

Trier is Old French for Triage and Cirurgian is Ancient Greek for surgeon, so his name literally means triage surgeon which is his former profession.

P.S. Triage surgeon is not an actual medical profession, the actual name for the profession is Trauma surgeon but the modern word "trauma" comes from Ancient Greek and is spelled exactly the same.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27381 on: January 24, 2016, 06:39:00 pm »

Dubley Steptimus is long for DubStep, an ancient and beautiful genre of music.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27382 on: January 24, 2016, 06:57:53 pm »

The real question is, if the universe is being devoured/twisted beyond recognition and escape is everyone's last hope of survival, why would anyone worry about killing civilians? Might as well kill the lot of 'em who won't come with you, that way they won't need to suffer some strange, eldritch death when existence implodes.
Morality is subjective.

Doubly so in a galaxy with non-human creatures. A society like that of the Haebi or other societies featuring high interconnection might consider the death of an individual meaningless or even necessary. Edit: Or, as seen in "The man in the High Castle", a society might come to find things like genocide and euthanasia of the sick acceptable.

For example, I might say that ensuring the survival of humanity overrides everything else, so nothing done to help humanity survive is immoral. On the other hand, being inefficient in helping humanity is the most immoral thing one can do. So from my perspective, you the Jedi are evil.
Opening up a huge philosophical debate there. Some worldviews hold that morality is not, in fact, subjective. Some hold that it simply does not exist.

But for the greater portion of the world, people hold that there is a morality that guides their actions - a morality that comes from a source greater than themselves, or any one society. The application of that universal morality may be situational, but in general they hold that morality is itself, a stable and ruling factor. So, the answer, "Morality," to the question, "why would anyone worry about killing innocents if the universe is dying?" remains valid.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27383 on: January 24, 2016, 07:16:45 pm »

Only for the sort of people who would probably weaken the genepool if we did take them along to our new universe of safety and not-death. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27384 on: January 24, 2016, 07:19:06 pm »

As for me...

Maurice because I was seeking a name starting with "M" (I still hold it is a special letter in ER - Swordsmith, take a note! For a new character or a new nickname for Hasala. ) and I thought of a certain wizard's cat from my childhood memories' cartoon. He had a funny-sounding name.  ::)  :)

Sanctor as modified "Sangre" (nope, no particular book reference *whistles*) crossed with "Santor" (well, yes, a book reference, an obscure one).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #27385 on: January 24, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »

Xan is short for Xantalos which is my username. I won't say where Xantalos came from, it's a personal thing that's rather complicated anyway.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27386 on: January 24, 2016, 07:21:01 pm »

Only for the sort of people who would probably weaken the genepool if we did take them along to our new universe of safety and not-death. :P
You mean strengthen we developed morals so people would have common ground and work together and actually care about each other if no one cares about eachother well everyone will just kill eachother for example a lot of arm.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #27387 on: January 24, 2016, 07:31:08 pm »

Morality is subjective.

Opening up a huge philosophical debate there. Some worldviews hold that morality is not, in fact, subjective. Some hold that it simply does not exist.

But for the greater portion of the world, people hold that there is a morality that guides their actions - a morality that comes from a source greater than themselves, or any one society. The application of that universal morality may be situational, but in general they hold that morality is itself, a stable and ruling factor. So, the answer, "Morality," to the question, "why would anyone worry about killing innocents if the universe is dying?" remains valid.
I think you are proving my point. You said it yourself that different people have different morals, different views about morality. So while people may think morality is something that should be absolute, the fact that different morals exist proves that it is not.

So saying that something shouldn't be done because morality exists seems wrong to me. Saying "this shouldn't be done because it goes against my morals seems more correct.

.. unless I have completely misunderstood what those words mean in English, in which case I'm sorry about the  misunderstanding.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27388 on: January 24, 2016, 07:45:07 pm »

Worry not. Nothing a good dose of team-killing, civilian-murdering, manip-overloading wouldn't cure. Just let them get a good feel of HMRC business and they will be different people.

Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #27389 on: January 24, 2016, 07:47:08 pm »

Worry not. Nothing a good dose of team-killing, civilian-murdering, manip-overloading wouldn't cure. Just let them get a good feel of HMRC business and they will be different people.

The best part is that the title still works.
Pages: 1 ... 1824 1825 [1826] 1827 1828 ... 2205