Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 [1685] 1686 1687 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485712 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #25260 on: December 04, 2015, 04:58:18 pm »

@Paris
Partially, I said that because Saint's trying to make himself look good, and partially because Saint and I really do believe ARESTEVE has low initiative and creativity.  The Mindfuck gun was his design, right?  I remember asking about modifying the design to change the range, and PW said that we could, but the effect only existed with certain arrangements of matter; we would have to find an alternate arrangement purely by trial and error.  What's that imply ARESTEVE spends his time doing?  Yes, he's more creative than, say, Alvin, but he doesn't seem to have the creativity of a normal human.
On the other hand, he had to study arrangements of matter based on data retrieved by the HMRC and come to a conclusion based on them and then try possible solution until he succeeded. He didn't simply try doing things completely at random like Anton's experiment. In fact, he acted as well as an engineer working with magic could hope to act in that kind of situation. He studied an effect, he made a hypothesis on how it works and how it could make it work better and then through experimentation found a pattern that mimicked desirable effects. Which I doubt it's any different than what you would do. It's much like what mathematicians do. They have a set of knowledge and they have a problem, so they keep applying solutions, trying things that they think could solve the problem until they succeed.

Same for the teleporter rifle. In order to build that, he had to study the effect, realise how it works and then figure out a way to replicate it in a useful manner, figure out its strengths and weaknesses, etc.

Granted, he hasn't been tested on anything more complex, but I'd say that's competent enough to show creativity comparable to that of a human. And probably much higher than that of some humans.

Unless you have a different definition about creativity?

Initiative... well, I suppose you could easily chalk that up to ARESTEVE being subservient to admins, and therefore never doing anything important without direction.  Still, he's never seemed to have much initiative to me.
Ah, but think about this: Everything Steve does, he does it in the service of humanity (or so he says). But in order to better serve humanity, in order to complete his orders, he had to act freely. He had to take initiative. Even though he was just following orders. He had to learn, he had to develop new solutions. Like Asimov's robots, even through the three laws and their orders, a personality can develop. And Aresteve is a part of Steve, complex enough that Steve enjoyed talking to him before he merged with him and "convinced" him to join ARM.

So again, we come to the question of "what does initiative mean"? Does initiative mean going against your orders? No, probably not. Not obeying orders is a sign of freedom more than initiative. But even then, what does freedom mean? If I do something against my orders, it is either because I have a more highly ranked reason or because I'm doing things seemingly at random (although even then there is usually a reason for doing things). So I am still just following orders, only this time they are orders coming from elsewhere. From our instincts, from how the world trains us... No living thing can exist truly free and truly independently because then it would not be living. At least no living thing I can imagine.

Does initiative mean doing something unrelated to your orders? Having a personality? Interests? Likes and dislikes? Ways of doing things? Then Aresteve has already displayed this behaviour. Why would he write equations with his hands when he can calculate them much faster? Why do things a certain way? Maybe it is because he likes it or maybe it is because it helps him think. Either way, it is a quirk unrelated to his orders.

Does initiative mean doing something in line with your orders that was not initially ordered? If yes, then Aresteve has already done that. He can manage the production of Hephaestus and protect the facilities, he can keep an eye on the population and security and run Stevebot patrols, he can look at the solar system and suggest courses of action. He has no problem running Hephaestus and dealing with any problems that come up. Even if he was ordered to do that, he still had to come up with new solutions and apply them without supervision or explicit permission.

Also, Plasma Projectors use automanips that work weirdly.  They can maintain effects independent of their relative locations. 
Yeah, I just don't like the inconsistency of calling them automanipulators. I mean, if we have automanipulators that can be programmed, then why can't we tinker any of those? Why can't we make a downscaled fission instigator that turns whatever you point it at into radioactive plasma? I'd be much happier if they were origin-based tech but not automanipulators. Anyway, that's just me focusing on details, just ignore me.

FAKEEDIT: I realise after writing this that I have put too many examples and ifs in here. Probably because we have no clear basis for arguing because the words we are using are vague. And probably because you didn't clearly state how trial and error connects with lack of creativity.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25261 on: December 04, 2015, 06:13:31 pm »

Being willing to use trial and error in order to better create is a clear sign of creativity. :P

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25262 on: December 04, 2015, 07:44:16 pm »

Anyone else listen to infected mushroom?
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25263 on: December 04, 2015, 08:43:47 pm »

uh ..... No?

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25264 on: December 04, 2015, 08:48:55 pm »

Currently listening to their "Friends on Mushrooms" Album, which is why I'm asking. Although when i asked I was listening to Army of Mushrooms

((Shoving all of my important data onto a newly bought external harddrive before I upgrade to win10, so I'm listening to music and asking dumb shit on OOC instead of playing fallout 4))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:53:37 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25265 on: December 04, 2015, 09:06:34 pm »

((Shoving all of my important data onto a newly bought external harddrive before I upgrade to win10, so I'm listening to music and asking dumb shit on OOC instead of playing fallout 4))

USB? Or SATA? Even if you don't have a setup that allows hot-swap, if you're moving a lot of data it might be faster to power down, open up, and SATA in the drive than wait for ages while stuff transfers over USB.

Then again you've already been at it for at least 17 minutes so maybe you've passed the inflection point.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25266 on: December 04, 2015, 09:22:04 pm »

yeah, it's taking ages, but my cellphone is shit, so I don't feel like following a guide to do what you just described. I mean, I could do it, but I don't feel like charging my phone. 5 MORE HOURS TO GO!

Edit:

Shit, i haven't touched my steam folder yet.... figuring this... wait... is sata my blue usb port?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:26:28 pm by Kedly »

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25267 on: December 04, 2015, 09:31:19 pm »

Shit, i haven't touched my steam folder yet.... figuring this... wait... is sata my blue usb port?

Blue USB is USB 3, which is way faster than the other USB ports. A good motherboard, with a good USB chip, might even have a USB 3 connection that can run almost as fast as an internal SATA connection. Chances are yours would be slower, but it would at least be a huge improvement over a non-blue USB port if that's what you're using.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #25268 on: December 04, 2015, 09:33:04 pm »

Blue USB is USB 3, which is way faster than the other USB ports. A good motherboard, with a good USB chip, might even have a USB 3 connection that can run almost as fast as an internal SATA connection. Chances are yours would be slower, but it would at least be a huge improvement over a non-blue USB port if that's what you're using.
all my blue usb ports broke except the ones on the back of my computer, took a lot to fix them. oddly all but  one blue usb port was on the front of my computer
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:37:24 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25269 on: December 04, 2015, 09:35:47 pm »

Well I just pissed away 2 hours due to being dumb D=

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25270 on: December 04, 2015, 11:57:02 pm »

Guys, a little question: since when does Paranoia Einsteinian Roulette happen in a hard sci-fi world?
I think we've been trying to keep the non-magical stuff as hard as possible for quite a while actually, in between consulting physics majors and whatnot. It's only become more prevalent now that Maurice's one night stand started infesting the most prevalent space magic.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25271 on: December 05, 2015, 12:12:41 am »

@Paris

I'll respond tomorrow.  Too tired to give a decent response right now.

@Anyone who has an opinion

So, Saint gets a respec, since his current build was intended for indefinite stay on Heph.  PW said it's compensation for not updating Heph for months.  It's irrelevant, but I think this means Saint has gotten three respecs in a row, without rolling anything.  Huh.

Anyway, I'm torn on exactly what to do with my levelups.  The below spoiler has Saint's initial stats, but I don't know whether to invest in MIND or AUX.  On one hand, I kinda want to put the points into mind and exo, because that will let me test out AUX as a combat skill before I commit fully to it.  On the other hand, I'd like Saint to have an extremely high AUX skill, because that fits more with how I imagine the character (this is why Dex is gimped, and cha isn't--it makes more sense than the reverse).

Opinions?
Spoiler: Initial stats (click to show/hide)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25272 on: December 05, 2015, 12:36:31 am »

I'd go with aux since that's what fits your character better.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25273 on: December 05, 2015, 01:32:07 am »

Pump aux and mind, nail down everything else to -2. It'll be fun.

I promise
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25274 on: December 05, 2015, 03:25:58 am »

your handiwork is at a -2 on the wiki.

I'd go with aux since that's what fits your character better.
seems reasonable to me. Saint is still not a combat character, so aux as a a combat stat would be a secondary or tertiary concern to me. Besides, looks like he'll have the opportunity to use aux a lot in m 26. Heph has plenty of access to auxilliary systems, and we have lots of potential need for them.
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 [1685] 1686 1687 ... 2205