Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485414 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #25245 on: December 04, 2015, 08:18:53 am »

IN unrelated news, if you had to be a scientist who examined and researched anomalous artifacts, what kind of tools and rooms would you want in your facility?
The facility itself would be a solar sail space station hanging (not orbiting, so it'd automatically plunge into the star in case of catastrophic structural damage) near a far away star (waaaay out there, where a supernova won't be be seen in the next few million years). Whatever other equipment, it'd be staffed only by robots, and all the experiments would be handled by quantum entanglement communicators preferably from another solar system altogether.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25246 on: December 04, 2015, 08:28:40 am »

Star? Why not supermassive black hole?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25247 on: December 04, 2015, 08:34:16 am »

@Ozrack: Whoops. Yeah. Got them backwards. Should probably not write physics after just waking up.

Sometimes I feel like doing something like this. Negatron sounds cooler than positron anyway.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25248 on: December 04, 2015, 08:39:54 am »

Star? Why not supermassive black hole?
Because black holes don't produce solar winds to hold the lab's solar sail aloft. The idea is for it not to be in orbit, so it can either be easily rigged to plunge in case of accident.

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #25249 on: December 04, 2015, 09:23:31 am »

In regards to the lightning stuff:

Air is a terrible conductor. For air to permit electricity to travel through it, you need to ionise it. Ionised air is a pretty good conductor. When you start passing electricity through ionised air, it heats up a lot, and it ionises further, becoming plasma. Plasma is an excellent conductor.

You see that lightning? the light comes from the very hot plasma the electricity is passing through.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25250 on: December 04, 2015, 09:58:53 am »

In regards to the lightning stuff:

Air is a terrible conductor. For air to permit electricity to travel through it, you need to ionise it. Ionised air is a pretty good conductor. When you start passing electricity through ionised air, it heats up a lot, and it ionises further, becoming plasma. Plasma is an excellent conductor.

You see that lightning? the light comes from the very hot plasma the electricity is passing through.
Guys, a little question: since when does Paranoia Einsteinian Roulette happen in a hard sci-fi world?

In any case, the effect could be achieved in an atmosphere by two weak convergent lasers, each beside an electrode. The lasers would ionize the air, creating a preferential route for the electron stream.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25251 on: December 04, 2015, 10:00:26 am »

you are mostly right. But it is electricity going from the ground to the clouds, usually (or cloud to cloud, but never mind that). After all, the negatiev charge in the ground means extra electrons, and the positive charge in the sky means ions looking for love, and since it's easier for electrons to uproot from family, friends, and everything they hold dear on earth, to go galavanting about the atmosphere than it is for sky ions to become grounded, grow some sense and maybe a family, then that's what happens. electrons go up, air expands rapidly, and a nice explodey sound is made.
Wait, I just reread that, and I understood what you are saying. And I'm pretty sure I got everything right except for getting positive and negative mixed up. It's electrons that go from the clouds to the ground. The easiest way to remember that is to imagine the step leader lightning branching off and going down towards the ground as they seek to form a connection of ionized air. I'll search around in the internet to see if I'm right, but I'm pretty sure it's the clouds that are full of electrons, at least near their bottom part.

Edit: Yeah, turns out that the basic form of lightning is electrons from the cloud towards the ground. This explains some stuff: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/natural-disasters/lightning1.htm
There's also other interesting things like Sprites or positive lightning or lightning that forms in sandstorms and volcano eruptions.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:10:20 am by Parisbre56 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25252 on: December 04, 2015, 10:51:19 am »

okies ^^

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25253 on: December 04, 2015, 11:40:00 am »

Well it used to use automanips, however we can easily modify the design NOT to do that anymore. Though it would require having a physical rod or pole extending the length of the "blade".

There we have it. It does use them, but can be made to function without.

EDIT: can someone doublecheck whether it's me or pw that's got the position of team blue wrong?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:09:31 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25254 on: December 04, 2015, 12:27:15 pm »

I still think it shouldn't use automanips, since it doesn't work like an automanipulator usually works. I can see it being Origin tech, but not an automanipulator. But I don't care enough to argue.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25255 on: December 04, 2015, 01:22:50 pm »

Spoiler: @Lenglon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Unholy Pariah (click to show/hide)

@Paris
Partially, I said that because Saint's trying to make himself look good, and partially because Saint and I really do believe ARESTEVE has low initiative and creativity.  The Mindfuck gun was his design, right?  I remember asking about modifying the design to change the range, and PW said that we could, but the effect only existed with certain arrangements of matter; we would have to find an alternate arrangement purely by trial and error.  What's that imply ARESTEVE spends his time doing?  Yes, he's more creative than, say, Alvin, but he doesn't seem to have the creativity of a normal human.

Initiative... well, I suppose you could easily chalk that up to ARESTEVE being subservient to admins, and therefore never doing anything important without direction.  Still, he's never seemed to have much initiative to me.

Also, Plasma Projectors use automanips that work weirdly.  They can maintain effects independent of their relative locations. 

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25256 on: December 04, 2015, 01:58:11 pm »

@syv: nah WoG says I'm wrong. So I'm wrong. You were right. Darn.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25259 on: December 04, 2015, 03:16:08 pm »

But not in the way of a nice doublepost  ;D

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 ... 2205