Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1684 1685 [1686] 1687 1688 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485176 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #25275 on: December 05, 2015, 05:59:54 am »

Max intuition and general knowledge.

just luck your way through everything with hunches that border on precognition.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25276 on: December 05, 2015, 06:32:31 am »

It's irrelevant, but I think this means Saint has gotten three respecs in a row, without rolling anything.  Huh.
If I am to guess, this is exactly the point. As in, let's say Maurice has stayed on Hephaestus for as long as Steve (Saint, I mean), but he did go off on various mission(s) at some point in time. Could he get a respec? Well, I doubt so, because (in our imaginary scenario) first he didn't remain on Hephaestus as long as Steve did, and second he actually got a level-up in between periods of Hephaestus stay, and had rolled a lot during the mission to get that level-up. So - think of it as "a character who hasn't been on a mission can re-respec until significant rolls are involved" ;).
(That's my 0.002 tokens.)

As for the respec:
Stat-wise, I'd suggest dumping Fate down to -1, as it might be in line with Steve (Saint)'s fear of death and going to great lengths to ensure own safety (cause and effect paradox, I guess, but it might be an interesting addition to his character). I don't know what 'relationship' Saint has with Intuition, but as a capable Hephaestus Administrator with many inventions under his belt, I guess it could be brought up to +1 from start/level-up'd to +1/left at +0. Same (only in spades) goes for Mind (which is, as latest M25L development shows, still Int somewhere deep at heart (not to be confused with Intu!)); actually, I think you could even say that his high Mind was the reason he resisted the Curse of Hephaestus Staff (terminal Stasis Catatonia) this long. Finally, as 'useless' it is, I think Steve deserves Cha at +1 (or at least at +0). He's that suave, I think.
Skill-wise, ... don't know. Dumping Med seems like a decision you'd have to make on your own, but I guess that during all these years it could have been semi-forgotten, resulting in +0. Aux is a no-brainer choice, but I don't really know how much you are interested in Exo (if backstory is needed, I think your involvement with MMI paid off in increasing Exo. Handiwork... well, depends on how much you intend to get 'down to business', but from Hephaestus experience I'd expect that Steve would rather have someone else do the technician's job for him. But maybe I'm wrong.

Or, having seen your stats and level-up points, I came up with this:

P.S. Alternatively, I can suggest considering Uncon instead of Exo. Not as flashy, but much more 'science-y'. Especially with all the new additions.
Here, I'll even give a stab at another charsheet.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25277 on: December 05, 2015, 06:38:08 am »

-1 Fate could also be taken to mean that piecewise wants you dead. I mean, we already know the RNG wants Saint dead from how he got blown up first thing in the Hephaestus defense and then, unless I remember incorrectly, got killed again on boarding impact, meaning he died twice in as many days. That's definitely -1 Fate material.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25278 on: December 05, 2015, 07:32:53 am »

Max intuition and general knowledge.

just luck your way through everything with hunches that border on precognition.
+1

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25279 on: December 05, 2015, 04:08:52 pm »

"As for the 'Volunteers' for the first human test phase of our plan, are we pulling those from our test subject pool?"

Most of the 'volunteers' you picked up in the last phase of your mission could be easily convinced that the world is ending and you're working to find a safe place to resettle, which would make it possible to make committed explorers out of the young and unattached, or the fathers, uncles, etc. Set up a whole schtick kinda like the HMRC, with obviously different premises, wake up good prospects in small groups, bring them onside, set up a training regimen to get them prepared, you're running a BLOPS mission with all (well, most...) of heph ready to support you, and the guys aren't player characters, meaning you don't have to treat them like dirt :D!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25280 on: December 05, 2015, 04:47:14 pm »

Spoiler: Semantics with Paris (click to show/hide)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25281 on: December 05, 2015, 04:54:10 pm »

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25282 on: December 05, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »

@syvarris
To be fair, I still maintain that 'Fate' stat is useless. Piecewise has hinted at it being used to 'avoid death', but so far (to my knowledge) he has not definitely postulated that it is actually used for that; he did, on the other hand 'joke' in the very beginning about it being a stat made solely to fuck with us, and so far has maintained that 'mysteriously unstated' attitude towards Fate stat.

But my main, point, of course, is the event of Mesk's death. It is something that should make to textbooks on the game usage of various stats and skills, as it showed that even a Master of Fate (I am not joking, Mesk had +4 in Fate) can not escape imminent death - which could be avoidable, had he mere +1 in End.
Since that day, I have completely lost my faith in the Fate stat.

Of course, it might be that it works like this: [Fate] to avoid being hit - [Dex] to dodge the hit - [End] to tough out the hit; then it means that Fate might have some use, but Dex is still more important. So, well, as long as you have at least +1 in End (better yet maybe +2, but I doubt that Piecewise's 'common sense' minds that threshold, or any higher - probably only +0/+1 one for very specific cases) you might survive some imminently deadly things. And Fate won't save you from anything Dex couldn't save you from; and that's exactly the kind of situation armor is designed for (and, wisely, Steve Saint has so far been a proponent of ever more thick/protective armor).

In short, -1 in Fate is manageable, and if you feel inadequate, it can still be upgraded with next level-up. +1 in End is semi-mandatory, on the other hand - at least for a character as cautious as Steve (Saint).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25283 on: December 05, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »

It's not so much that the Fate stat is useless as that it functions fundamentally differently in the first place. While End keeps you from getting pulped by incoming horror, Fate keeps the incoming horror away from you. The reason why it didn't protect Mesk, I assume, is because the nuclear explosion was a simple matter of cause and effect. There wasn't any real room for "oh, it mysteriously missed you somehow".

Of course, you could very easily make the argument that who gets most protected by Pancaek's thrown-up shield should have been a Fate roll, in which Mesk ought to have statistically come out ahead.

The trouble is, End works a lot like Fate probably should already, given that End can mysteriously protect you from getting impaled in the brain, which'd be a clear job for Fate if anything. So there's a lot of hypothetical overlap, to the point where it's not really clear which is supposed to do what. A sensible way to treat it would be "Fate prevents harm, Endurance mitigates it". But then, the Fate stat works in mysterious ways (if it even works at all).

It's odd, though, to hear that sort of talk from someone who may have very possibly failed a Fate roll big time and accidentally provoked an alien god in the process. But even if that's the case, I guess Maurice isn't strictly dead now, is he?

Nunzillor

« Reply #25284 on: December 05, 2015, 05:52:30 pm »

I've always thought that Fate prevents one from sustaining damage in certain types of scenarios (like in the midst of sudden shrapnel or indiscriminate enemy fire).  Can't it also be used to 'pray' to some alien entities and get responses?  I've seen that in the case of Lars, I think, who is at +3 fate.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:55:44 pm by Nunzillor »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25285 on: December 05, 2015, 06:34:00 pm »

@ How Fate works:
Well, I guess your explanations make sense, but then it's still the fickleness of Fate rolls applicability that severely undermines its usefulness. Dodging things you are almost always allowed, and even then you are almost always allowed End rolls (when appropriate), but Fate seems to resemble laser-resistant coating put on Mk I: sure, maybe it can protect you if the enemy is firing lasers at you - and not focusing their fire on you specifically for prolonged periods of time - but encounter a foe with a common projectile weapon, and you are completely screwed.

Maybe if we had any real examples (Word-of-Piecewise confirmed) of [Fate] it could be more clear. But as it is... well, here we are. And it appears that this is exactly as Piecewise would have our knowledge.
(Fun theory: He *did* roll [Fate] for Mesk, but conveniently avoided mentioning it in the Let's Play ER recording. Now that would screw us over. ;D )

@Fate rolls in summoning Lurker in the Angles & praying:
Well, I'd guess the relevant rolls (of any) were completely unrelated to Fate, and either stat-independent, or maybe Intu/Mind-related in case of "praying" (there is evidence of 'special' rolls made for faith-powers, but that evidence long pre-dates Fate stat, so maybe they were lated connected - or maybe not). But if, indeed, [Fate] is rolled for sticking your dick into alien entities and conversing with them, then I'm in for a big restat.  :P
Past Sigs

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25286 on: December 05, 2015, 07:11:23 pm »

Plot twist: Fate is a spelling mistake. Piecewise intended to write Faith, but he made a mistake and just rolled with it. The stat actually measures the deliciousness of your pants.

(Oh, hey, deliciousness is a real word according to my autocorrect.)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25287 on: December 05, 2015, 07:22:21 pm »

My opinion on Fate is the same as Nun's.  It's rolled in situations like when STEPHEN HAWKING stood in the middle of shrapnel, unmoving, but magically quantumly avoided harm.  Presumably, it's also rolled in situations where the target is arbitrary, like selecting which person is shot by a sniper.

Now, I'll agree that it's a weak stat, and the relative value is still (Dex>End>Fate)--But I've already gimped Dex, and I won't be improving End much for at least three missions.  Yes, Saint will be buying an HRB as soon as he's standard mission personnel, but as Yaroslav so effectively demonstrated with that exact item, armor is not enough.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25288 on: December 05, 2015, 07:30:51 pm »

Plot twist: Fate is a spelling mistake. Piecewise intended to write Faith, but he made a mistake and just rolled with it. The stat actually measures the deliciousness of your pants.

(Oh, hey, deliciousness is a real word according to my autocorrect.)
Do you have FAITH?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25289 on: December 05, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »

I bet Fate was involved when STEPHEN HAWKING punched a boulder to create a point in space-time where the wavelengths of all possible Grates coalesced.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1684 1685 [1686] 1687 1688 ... 2205