Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 [1315] 1316 1317 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2490672 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #19710 on: July 09, 2015, 10:39:46 am »

Hmm, we should use him as a test subject for Tea Psychokinetic Amplifier.
And Capitalize your 'I's

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19711 on: July 09, 2015, 10:41:34 am »

Hmm, we should use him as a test subject for Tea Psychokinetic Amplifier.
And Capitalize your 'I's
weaponizing tea? Let me do this! PLEASE!a
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19712 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:34 am »

Well, you're already the test subject for Nyar's tea-medicine!
One wheel short of a wagon

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19713 on: July 09, 2015, 10:51:24 am »

Well, you're already the test subject for Nyar's tea-medicine!
I am the test subject of tea related things, can some one get me the tea strainer of power?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19714 on: July 09, 2015, 11:02:27 am »

Sooon, soooon, I may use my general knowledge and high engineering skill, once you become a hun-tea'r... and agree to take the tea medicine candy I offer... the coldtea chew... to gain unspeakable bloodlong echoes...

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19715 on: July 09, 2015, 11:04:44 am »

Or you know, i could futz with the pill machine and turn you into a living teapot.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19716 on: July 09, 2015, 11:06:06 am »

@RC: I'm pretty sure those shuttles you're talking about are the same piecewise suggested, just in case there is a misunderstanding:

Quote from: piecewise
Sure, you want a drop like the second team in the Cultist mission?
Quote from: RC
Maybe, checking our options for the moment. Would this help protect us from attacks coming from the base entry point?
Quote from: piecewise
Well, if you were attacked from the base, a fast hotdrop like that would certainly help. Or we could just use the drop pods again, those might work.
How does a drop pod compare to one of those shuttles they used in the dam mission (the one with the grav chutes), in terms of speed of drop and survival rate of passengers?

Mission 1 hotdrop: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg3155846#msg3155846
China-9 hotdrop: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg3382753#msg3382753
Cultist hotdrop: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138807.msg5490638#msg5490638

Also of note is the fact that hotdrop shuttles can move horizontally as well as vertically, meaning they can stay close to the ground while approaching the base and maybe even do it much better than a shuttle, since they don't care about surviving.

Yes, using the drop pods sounds like the fastest way down, though it'll kinda limit our option of sending an empty shuttle in first to test the water.
Not really. Drop pods are larger, armoured versions of hot drop shuttles that can be launched from further away by using the Sword's cannons. Each contains an individual. All the pods are launched out of the cannon together as a cluster and then break apart during atmospheric entry. Their advantages are that they are armoured and there are more of them falling at the same time, thus making a TP(Kill/Injury) less likely. The disadvantages are that it is probably not as fast as a hotdrop pod, can be hit during the approach to the planet if the enemy has interplanetary weapons or spaceships, the pod doors can fail and that it is unknown if they have a grav-chute in case its thrusters get damaged, although they might have one or a regular parachute. So I don't see why you couldn't send one loaded with scout eyes or automated mapping drones with cameyes, for example, kinda like the kill droid pods the UWM used during the Hephaestus defence but for scouting.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150112.0

If you want the team to have a choice of going or not going down to the planet, then using drop pods is a bad idea if maintaining the element of surprise is important. You'd have to launch the first drop pod cluster, wait for it to reach the planet and land and then give the go ahead to launch the second drop pod cluster (presumably along with the return shuttle/shuttles which will either stay in orbit, land when they can or some combination of the two). But this has the advantage of keeping the Sword away from the planet and any danger that might be there, which can turn into a disadvantage if you need the sword to nuke something immediately (without the interplanetary travel delay, which in my opinion is not that likely) or need to return to it quickly. (Unless of course, you're just dropping drop pod clusters from orbit, in which case this is similar to using hotdrop shuttles but trading their disadvantages for those of the drop pod.)

However, if the mission is going ahead either way and you are not worried about interplanetary weapons, then you can always launch the first drop pod cluster and then launch the second one a short while later. The first pod cluster can clear the area while the second pod cluster can use its thrusters to remain in orbit for a while longer if the first team needs time to clean up or they can land immediately after it.

Then again, there's no reason to not combine the above options. For example, you could launch the recon team in a drop pod cluster while still approaching the planet, then once the all clear is given and you've reached the planet with the Sword launch the second team with a hotdrop shuttle and then send a regular shuttle to land for quick extraction and keep a second shuttle in extremely low orbit in case something happens to the first one. Or some other combination, like two hotdrops.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:09:39 am by Parisbre56 »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19717 on: July 09, 2015, 11:06:59 am »

Or you know, i could futz with the pill machine and turn you into a living teapot.

How much will pills cost? I'm slightly annoyed that the pills I possess are devalued by all this pill business - especially as I'd really hate spazyak to take lower-quality tea medicine candy.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19718 on: July 09, 2015, 11:13:24 am »

I'm a little tea pot short and spout, here is my handle here is my gun. When I blow my whistle duck and shout, for I'm about to fire my gun!
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19719 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:51 pm »

Looks like they're making a Forever War movie: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1307468/

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19720 on: July 09, 2015, 12:54:17 pm »

We might yet get Einsteinian Roulette: The Movie within our lifetimes.
Dammit, I want a tiny overpriced miniature incorrectly portraying my character from a based-on-movie tabletop wargame! :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19721 on: July 09, 2015, 12:59:32 pm »

Anyone know Chris Nolan? He seems pretty out of ideas. Peter Jackson, maybe? Perhaps Johhny Depp would like to take a break from Tim Burton's acid orgies?

EDIT: who would play your character, guys?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19722 on: July 09, 2015, 01:01:32 pm »

I was gonna lend Yancy the cash but since someone already did it... And then someone else asks me for a loan. Xael's lucky my interest rates aren't a leg and an arm since she can keep the leg.

In the ER movie: Milno ends up portrayed by a forty-something actor who was a farmer in a place that looks too much like current Texas.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:55:22 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19723 on: July 09, 2015, 02:27:16 pm »

We might yet get Einsteinian Roulette: The Movie within our lifetimes.
Dammit, I want a tiny overpriced miniature incorrectly portraying my character from a based-on-movie tabletop wargame! :P
wonder how they would portray Henk, a ravening mad man who isn't at all like buffalo bill or a mad scientist who may just eat your liver beans with a side f clam chowder?
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19724 on: July 09, 2015, 02:33:51 pm »

I think Henk would be portrayed as a nice, polite, a bit shy, slightly eccentric  guy who'd invite his new revolutionary acquaintances to share a nice hot cup of coffee.

Because coffee product placement pays better.  :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 1313 1314 [1315] 1316 1317 ... 2205