Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495257 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #16575 on: April 28, 2015, 04:58:57 pm »

Not really. The way most animals move is that they maintain an almost-constant height off the ground and accelerate forward. As long as you can adjust the energy spent on keeping you off the ground, then you should be fine. Then again, doing so is hard, as shown by the men that landed on the moon. It takes some getting used to. But we seem to be capable of adjusting despite going on planets with different gravity (we've gone on planets with .7g or less, I think) so with some practice, Lyra should be able to do so. Maybe with some adjustments by the doc to her cybernetics.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16576 on: April 28, 2015, 05:05:04 pm »

Sure, but how would becoming lighter affect your muscles? Can you say with certainty that you can push of equally powerful now? I mean, you are lighter, but same volume, thus less dense. Did your muscle and bone density decrease? I know, spess magic, but still.

Hell, even if you now can push off faster, shouldn't you also come back down slower? Thus making you less 'responsive' outside of initial movement?

Well, the thing partly determining muscle strength is the physiological cross section of the muscle in question. It's a pretty big deciding factor, at least. Hence why arranging fibers diagonally in a feather-like shape gets you a lot more power than the alternatives. It stands to reason that Lyra would have the same amount of strength as before the lightening, or at least a comparable amount (not sure how much density affects strength exactly), only now she has that much less mass to lift. She's weaker in relation to everything else, I'd guess, but much stronger in relation to her own body.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 05:07:04 pm by Harry Baldman »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #16577 on: April 28, 2015, 05:07:02 pm »

Why do you guys hate moble users?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16578 on: April 28, 2015, 05:08:32 pm »

We resent their ability to compute on the move while we are chained to our basement terminals in perpetuity.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16579 on: April 28, 2015, 05:09:27 pm »

Not really. The way most animals move is that they maintain an almost-constant height off the ground and accelerate forward. As long as you can adjust the energy spent on keeping you off the ground, then you should be fine. Then again, doing so is hard, as shown by the men that landed on the moon. It takes some getting used to. But we seem to be capable of adjusting despite going on planets with different gravity (we've gone on planets with .7g or less, I think) so with some practice, Lyra should be able to do so. Maybe with some adjustments by the doc to her cybernetics.

The moon people bouncing around was what I had in mind, yeah. The moon has about 17% of earth gravity I think, while Lyra IIRC became 90% lighter. So I still do think that, even given practice, she'd be hampered by it. I'm not sure how well we can extrapolate from people in 0.7g to becoming 90% lighter via spacemagic. and as far as I know, one will always be moving around via 'bouncing' instead of regular walking on the moon, even given practice. But you are right, it'll probably be handwaved either way.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16580 on: April 28, 2015, 05:10:09 pm »

Maybe she's like a bird. Weak hollow bones with powerful muscles.
I am now imagining cats with wings. Lyra should try to get some of those DaVinci wings and try flying, complete with aviator goggles and helmet. Or get the doc to do her animal wings.
I am a mobile user and I hate myself. I am the most angsty mobile user.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16581 on: April 28, 2015, 05:11:35 pm »

Yeah, force is mass times acceleration. If the force remains the same and mass decreases, then acceleration increases. And that works both ways. So she should be faster and about as strong, yet more susceptible to her environment.

It's not that big of a deal, I mostly just don't want to see everyone doing it.  And it wouldn't hurt her acceleration, just her top speed.  Less mass, same air resistance = lower top speed.  Best way to see it is to play volleyball with an air-filled rubber balloon, you can make it move quite fast, but it slows down very, very quickly in air due to minimal momentum and high air resistance.

I do hope I'm not the only one who played balloon volleyball as a kid.  It was awesome.
END being second only to MIND in terms of penultimate stats, I don't think there's much risk of that happening. DEX is only usefull when you can both know to dodge and have somewhere to dodge too.

as for top speed being lower: no.

see, volleyballs don't have legs. they're projectiles.
I'm not a projectile. My legs are what accelerate me, and it takes less effort to move me, and less effort to move the legs themselves. I can move each individual leg much faster, making me run faster.
however, my terminal velocity while falling is certainly much slower, I'll grant you that.
I don't think having lighter legs would allow Lyra to move them much faster. Quite a bit of their motion is from inertia. If she's anywhere with an atmosphere, the air will slow her down quite a bit because of how light she is. Also, look at someone's legs when they're running: they usually are both off the ground. If Lyra tries to run against the wind, she'll be either blown backwards or just slowed down.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16582 on: April 28, 2015, 05:14:31 pm »

True. The same applies to everyone running against a strong wind, they have to walk slower and maybe keep one leg on the ground, but we're in a planet with no atmosphere and the Haebi have not attacked us with giant blowdryers... yet.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16583 on: April 28, 2015, 05:14:55 pm »

The solution is obvious: Lyra has to become the fastest shuffler to ever exist.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16584 on: April 28, 2015, 05:18:04 pm »

Your tiny keyboards are too small for my fingers.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16585 on: April 28, 2015, 05:19:29 pm »

Well, the thing partly determining muscle strength is the physiological cross section of the muscle in question. It's a pretty big deciding factor, at least. Hence why arranging fibers diagonally in a feather-like shape gets you a lot more power than the alternatives. It stands to reason that Lyra would have the same amount of strength as before the lightening, or at least a comparable amount (not sure how much density affects strength exactly), only now she has that much less mass to lift. She's weaker in relation to everything else, I'd guess, but much stronger in relation to her own body.

True, cross section is important, but you still need to 'fill up' that cross section, no? Otherwise a hollow ring of muscles would work just as well. In the end, she either lost mass (what mass? Muscles?) or every particle in her being is now lighter. Probably not the first (she'd be practically hollow) and the second seems iffy as well. Or the machine changed how she interacts with the basic laws of physics, in which case the outcome is a bit of a crapshoot.

True. The same applies to everyone running against a strong wind, they have to walk slower and maybe keep one leg on the ground, but we're in a planet with no atmosphere

Just to be clear, are we speaking in general (I was) or specifically for this planet?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16586 on: April 28, 2015, 05:26:43 pm »

@RC: I have no idea what we're talking about. I'm just waiting for something and amusing myself with my phone while I wait.

@piecewise: Try slide-typing. You know, typing by sliding your finger across the keyboard. I recently adopted it and it feels much easier to me. Might work better for you.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16587 on: April 28, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »

I dunno about everyone else, but the instant someone finds the shrink button on that deathcube I am totally going full antman.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16588 on: April 28, 2015, 05:31:17 pm »

A mission where we must shrink ourselves into a mini sub and journey into the body of an HMRC member to recover a nano artifact.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16589 on: April 28, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »

as for top speed being lower: no.

see, volleyballs don't have legs. they're projectiles.
I'm not a projectile. My legs are what accelerate me, and it takes less effort to move me, and less effort to move the legs themselves. I can move each individual leg much faster, making me run faster.
however, my terminal velocity while falling is certainly much slower, I'll grant you that.

Yeah, um, no that's not how it works.  You are a projectile, you move through air at every moment, and the lighter you are the less time you spend in contact with the ground when pushing off it.  When you design a car, for instance, if you make it lighter you have to consider things like aerodynamic ground force to keep the wheels on the road so you'd be able to accelerate.

In this case, walking for you should be like walking in water, which is in all honesty, terribly slow.  In order to move quickly in water, you need to push off the water.
Pages: 1 ... 1104 1105 [1106] 1107 1108 ... 2205