Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494100 times)

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #13290 on: February 25, 2015, 04:53:27 pm »

How about saying that instead of everything else being stopped, everything else is slowed to 1 millionth?

And why, exactly?
To not break all of the physics, I presume. Only bits of it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13291 on: February 25, 2015, 05:02:26 pm »

Dice have 6 sides. Revolvers have 6 holes. The chance of rolling a 1 is the same as blowing your head off in Russian Roulette. Coincidence?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13292 on: February 25, 2015, 05:14:30 pm »

So if me touching anything should atomize it... what happens if i shoot it with an overcharged heavy gauss rifle?

What, you want to kill stuff even harder?
Yes, i want to put an end to its wounded flailings by tearing even its subatomic particles apart and scattering them across two realities.

Dice have 6 sides. Revolvers have 6 holes. The chance of rolling a 1 is the same as blowing your head off in Russian Roulette. Coincidence?
Actually its not, when you spin the revolving part the weight of the bullet generally causes it to act similarly to a loaded dice and the bullet stays near the bottom.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13293 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18:16 pm »

An interesting factoid right there (if it's true, but it sounds believable enough)!

And I guess you are an adherent of the 'no kill like overkill' from that response. it'll end the situation one way or another, that's for sure.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13294 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18:41 pm »

Wouldn't that only be true if you let the cylinder come to rest on its own, though?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: February 25, 2015, 05:19:39 pm »

Wouldn't that only be true if you let the cylinder come to rest on its own, though?

Isn't that how russian roulette works? You spin and wait until it stops, then shoot?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: February 25, 2015, 05:21:12 pm »

We'll, if you want it to be fair, then you put bullets in all the cylinders, then, no weight bias, right?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13297 on: February 25, 2015, 05:26:58 pm »

Isn't that how russian roulette works? You spin and wait until it stops, then shoot?
Hell if I know. Figure you'd...I don't know the technical term. Pop the cylinder back into the gun while it's still spinning?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13298 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:51 pm »

I believe that there's something in the gun that makes it hold onto the cylinder so it's more like the sjittiest wheel of fortune ever.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13299 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:56 pm »

Roulette is in the title of the game. What do you think?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13300 on: February 25, 2015, 05:42:59 pm »

Not really.  Note the name "Einsteinian Roulette"?  IIRC, it was partially based on the Einstein quote, but also on Russian Roulette.  PW beat me. ._.

I've heard an interesting story about russian roulette before.  My dad once told me a story about a guy who actually bet money on it, and loaded two bullets.  Supposedly, the two bullets together made it even more likely they'd end up on the bottom.  He also took the precaution of intentionally wincing just as he pulled the trigger, so that the gun was pointed at an angle.  Once, it actually fired, and the bullet ricocheted off, but still knocked the guy out cold.

Probably not true, but an interesting story nonetheless.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13301 on: February 25, 2015, 06:15:23 pm »

Not really.  Note the name "Einsteinian Roulette"?  IIRC, it was partially based on the Einstein quote, but also on Russian Roulette.  PW beat me. ._.

I've heard an interesting story about russian roulette before.  My dad once told me a story about a guy who actually bet money on it, and loaded two bullets.  Supposedly, the two bullets together made it even more likely they'd end up on the bottom.  He also took the precaution of intentionally wincing just as he pulled the trigger, so that the gun was pointed at an angle.  Once, it actually fired, and the bullet ricocheted off, but still knocked the guy out cold.

Probably not true, but an interesting story nonetheless.
Yes, I know. Piecewise had already mentioned that fact about the name in the first ER talk, actually.

I was trying to make a joke by suggesting that the name Russian Roulette implied Russians use revolvers instead of dice. Because betting money on opposing dice is a favourite pastime of many soldiers. And Russian Roulette is the ultimate game of opposing dice rolls. I suppose I was too vague, it made more sense in my head.

That would make a good scam, if you could somehow rig the gun so that it would not fire, even when the round was in the correct position. Maybe damage the hammer? Even better if you can somehow make the gun fire in certain conditions but not others so that you can demonstrate it is working and has not been tampered with.

Did one of you guys post this earlier? I don't remember. If not, then have this relevant thing: http://youtu.be/iQKDoBeamOM

Nunzillor

« Reply #13302 on: February 25, 2015, 07:51:02 pm »

How does distance traveled inside of voidspace map to distance traveled outside of voidspace?

Edit: also, was it intended for Feyri to walk instead of fly using rockets?  If so, why?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:16:43 pm by Nunzillor »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13303 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:38 pm »

@Paris

It'd be pretty easy to do exactly that, if you supplied the ammo.  It's not hard to make a dud cartridge.

Although, if someone else happened to have a bullet of the correct type, then things would go downhill.  It would be wise to get something esoteric, I guess.

@Nun

Voidspace distance translation varies.  You can walk ten feet in voidspace, and end up anywhere between five and twenty feet forward when you translate back.  It could have been a different range, I'm not sure, but there's no concrete variance.

Although, I think it's still probably a good idea.  If the Eater's taken into the void, the sun probably can't hunt them.  Plus, they'd be immune to the shockewave as it passed.

I think Feyri didn't fly because the rockets aren't that powerful.  They could probably help her sprint faster, but that might require an AUX roll.  She could activate EMM, though.  Both of them, in fact.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: February 25, 2015, 10:53:16 pm »

Well, she probably did so on behalf of GM deciding rather not to get the Eater into the air unless it was specifically mentioned so. Per that one "very bad thing to happen" clause of initial Steve's advice, I mean.
She could activate EMM, though.  Both of them, in fact.
Actually, this might really be a good idea if we are still intent on touching the ground.
Just to remind if anyone forgot: EMM as Enhanced Movement Mode giving +1 Str/+1 Dex through intensive rocket assistance; and EMM as Exaggerated Movements Mode giving +1 Dex to simple and straightforward movements by literally exaggerating each movement of exoskeleton frame (requires base 10 Dex for not screwing up complex actions, IIRC, but should help with running across desert fairly fine).

Both (or at least the latter, I believe) can be activated without an Aux roll.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 2205